• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Car Poll: Honda Element

Honda Element?

• A breakthrough design that will cement Honda's place as the finest car manufacturer on the planet

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Ick! It looks like a flower delivery van from "Blade Runner".

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these nearly ran me off the road on the way home from work one day. I've become somewhat fixated on them ever since.

JNL

Cyburbian
It's a weird mish-mash of retro and modern.. doesn't work for me.

I've got photos of a couple of other weird and wonderful Hondas from last year's Sydney Motor Show if you're interested?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I like them, but couldnt bring myself to drive one. Then again, I drove a Yugo in college and these things are sexy in comparison.

Runner

Cyburbian
I had to do a double take the first few times I saw one of those things. I'm sorry but they are just plain butt ugly. I'm also disappointed that Honda just had to jump into the SUV fray. While Honda has a fairly decent green reputation in this case the green they are pursuing is greenbacks...

I'd prefer a Civic Hybrid from the Honda line.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I looked at the Element several months ago. It had a great interior: no carpet (just hose down the floors), waterproof seats, rear seats that swing up into the sides of the vehicle, an optional interior bike rack. Thought it would be great for outdoor-type trips. But in the end, I opted for something more conventional (translate: more amenities) and bought a CR-V.

It broke my heart to vote against Honda, because we LOVE our Accord and the company has been nothing but delightful in all our dealings. BUT. the Element really is damn ugly.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
It looks like an armored car. From the back they're so square they look like tough ice cream trucks.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Yeah, I agree with y'all on the ugly element. (no pun intended) I think it's kind of funny how Honda is trying to sell this as a lifestyle car, thinking that people don't really care what things look like as long as they're utilitarian. I had a Honda Civic for 10 years and it was a terrific car. I have a Subaru now and love that as well, they go after outdoorsy types - the same market for the Element - but my car isn't ugly.

H

Cyburbian
My wife is in love with this car. I am sure she will be getting it in the next couple of months.

I am indifferent.

PS. I only drive GM, for personal reasons.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
What Dreck!

A few months ago, I saw this car in a parking lot of a hotel in Phoenix- it had Michigan manufacturer's plates and upon seeing the Honda nameplate I thought, "Oh, yeah, this is just a prototype and they'd never market a car that looked like it was a mutant cousin to the Pontiac Aztec."

Wrong!

carlomarx

Cyburbian
it looks like a overgrown kids toy on steriods
Well, ...yeah. That's why I like it. I stand nearly alone on this one, but I gotta say... *sniff* ... I love the little guy!

I'm totally going to get one. Have you seen the accessories? A drop-down tent that attaches to the tail! A spare-tire cover with legs to make a table! and I LOVE the previously mentioned waterproof interior.

You'll see. I'll show you all. Then you'll be sorry.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I don't like the appearance of the car a whole lot, but I still like the car. The interior is awesome, though I think it needs some tie-downs to keep stuff from sliding around so bad. I like how the rear seats actually have leg room compared to so many other compact SUVs. Plus, the seats fold up against the walls, which I think is pretty damn cool! And looking at the design, I think this may be the shell that gets wrapped around a fuel-cell powertrain in the future (probably distant). I like how the doors open, but I think they pose serious safety concerns for side-impact. The Element has some great design ideas that could be passed to other future vehicles. I haven't decided how I really feel about the vehicle yet; I'm not to sure about the boxy-ness and overdone plastic paneling.

This is one of the few SUVs I would consider purchasing if I wanted to get an SUV. If they would step up the efficiency more, I might make the switch.

The Honda Element adds diversity to a pretty bland line-up of car styling. I like to see car designers move away from the status quo.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Actually, I think they're kind of cute. They don't look like anything else on the market right now.

But I have no interest in buying an Element. The next car will be a Mini.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
MP...

MINI Pooper!

Now THAT's a dumb-looking car. It's like a pet rock-- you think it's cool because THEY tell you it is. Open your eyes, everyone! The Mini Cooper is ugly!

Sorry to offend, but I feel like the president (MY president, that is, Charleton Heston) in Soylent Green on this Mini issue. "It's people! ...Soylent Green is people! ...It's ugly! The Mini is ugly!"

Or maybe I'm the delusional one. Maybe.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
That is one of the ugliest cars I have ever looked at, and so was the Cevrolet Caprice Classic Station Wagon....I had a 1978 LTD Station Wagon in high school.

The Caprice Wagon:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Mini

carlomarx said:
Now THAT's a dumb-looking car. It's like a pet rock-- you think it's cool because THEY tell you it is. Open your eyes, everyone! The Mini Cooper is ugly!

Sorry to offend, but I feel like the president (MY president, that is, Charleton Heston) in Soylent Green on this Mini issue. "It's people! ...Soylent Green is people! ...It's ugly! The Mini is ugly!"

Or maybe I'm the delusional one. Maybe.
A friend of mine says she thinks of the Mini as a "clown car." I don't think it's cool because *THEY* (who??) say it is. At least it's not a big gas-guzzling SUV!

donk

Cyburbian
Careful about slagging the mini here, there area few fans.

things I like about the mini

1) It looks like a early 80's honda civic, but beefed up. Nice lines and stance.

2) it is built by BMW, so no more "english" car problems

3) It is relatively fairly priced for what you get. Although a MB C230 kompressor is in the same price range

4) It looks/sounds like it would be fun to drive, 6 speed transmission, etc.

I do have to agree with the critics that the interior seems a bit gaudy and hyper designed.

moose

hm. As far as looks go, I like both the Mini and the Element, but I wouldn't buy either one. I drive a VW Jetta and the next car will be a Subaru (or a Vespa!). Though my heart aches for a Jeep Wrangler, I just can't justify switching sides on the anti-SUV thing (I've wanted a Wrangler ever since I was a kid).

carlomarx said:
and I LOVE the previously mentioned waterproof interior.
Actually, with a two-and-a-half year old daughter to transport around, a waterproof, hosable interior doesn't sound bad. That wasn't an option on the Chevy Venture parked in my driveway.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, since I drive a WRX Subaru, I can't comment too strongly about "ugly." (Actually, I find my WRX's wierdness "endearing-and a bright blue car is easy to find in a parking lot).

I just wonder how well the Element drives. It looks like it would be as unstable as the proverbial bread van. And, EG's interesting note about side impact test failures is a major caveat. Since their market is 17-25 year olds, I understand, and you guys are all immortal (sorry, young un's), maybe that's not as big of a factor. :)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Since their market is 17-25 year olds, I understand, and you guys are all immortal (sorry, young un's), maybe that's not as big of a factor. :)
That's what I heard their business plan was all about for the Element. Honda thinks that if you stack a car with features and the utility that teens and twentysomethings want, then that's all that matters - design is aside. Form follows function. I'll be interested to see if they sell well. They are one of the most un-aerodynamic looking things I've seen in a while.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
BKM said:
I just wonder how well the Element drives. It looks like it would be as unstable as the proverbial bread van. And, EG's interesting note about side impact test failures is a major caveat. Since their market is 17-25 year olds, I understand, and you guys are all immortal (sorry, young un's), maybe that's not as big of a factor. :)
I've actually test-driven one of these things. I was curious about how it would handle since it's a big box with lots of flat surfaces for the wind to catch. I drove it on a day with 25mph winds with gusts and was pleasantly surprised! I could not feel hardly any wind buffetting. In fact, it is one of the more comfortable vehicles I've driven in a while. I still have trouble getting over that exterior though. Like I said earlier, the ELement has a bunch of good ideas, but the package leaves something to be desired. Safety is a big issue in regards to side-impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.