• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Car Talk

AG74683

Cyburbian
I took the Jeep on an extended trip this weekend. It did NOT do well, mostly because we were going up mountains with a significant grade. At one point the temperature gauge jumped to 260 and the check gauges light came on and it started blowing smoke everywhere. Turns out it was leaking significant oil on the exhaust. No idea where the leak came from, it appeared as suddenly as it went away. It was about a quart low on oil, and lost a significant amount of coolant (must have boiled off). We almost turned back but decided against it.

I started looking at possible Jeep replacements again, but am really struggling to find any sort of replacement vehicle within my price range that still has reasonable miles. I really want a truck but it's hard to find anything. My max I'm comfortable with is 16,500.

Today, it finally hit me, THE solution to my replacement vehicle. A CARGO VAN. It's basically a pickup truck, but has tons of lockable internal space. They can be had for a fraction of the cost of a truck with way less miles. I'm on the search now.

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I took the Jeep on an extended trip this weekend. It did NOT do well, mostly because we were going up mountains with a significant grade. At one point the temperature gauge jumped to 260 and the check gauges light came on and it started blowing smoke everywhere. Turns out it was leaking significant oil on the exhaust. No idea where the leak came from, it appeared as suddenly as it went away. It was about a quart low on oil, and lost a significant amount of coolant (must have boiled off). We almost turned back but decided against it.

I started looking at possible Jeep replacements again, but am really struggling to find any sort of replacement vehicle within my price range that still has reasonable miles. I really want a truck but it's hard to find anything. My max I'm comfortable with is 16,500.

Today, it finally hit me, THE solution to my replacement vehicle. A CARGO VAN. It's basically a pickup truck, but has tons of lockable internal space. They can be had for a fraction of the cost of a truck with way less miles. I'm on the search now.
You could solve your vehicle and dating problems in one shot...

candy.jpg
(note: not suggesting you are a child abductor)

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have changed course again. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a Polaris Slingshot? I kind of want a motorcycle, but I think I'd die pretty quickly on one.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have changed course again. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a Polaris Slingshot? I kind of want a motorcycle, but I think I'd die pretty quickly on one.
I've never had a desire to get a motorcycle but I wanted a Slingshot the moment I first saw one!

There was a pretty good review of them in one of the Detroit papers this past summer and the review basically boiled down to, "It's an incredibly stupid, useless vehicle but my god is it fun and awesome!"

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I've never had a desire to get a motorcycle but I wanted a Slingshot the moment I first saw one!

There was a pretty good review of them in one of the Detroit papers this past summer and the review basically boiled down to, "It's an incredibly stupid, useless vehicle but my god is it fun and awesome!"
I've never been a motorcycle type of guy. However, the CanAm three wheeler with two wheels up front looks pretty good.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
There is a pistachio/mint green Volvo wagon, probably a late 70s 244, but I'm not an expert, that I drive past on my way home from work. It makes me think of The T and I smile because the plate is "MILDR3D", which seems perfect for that age and color.:D (I would have gone with something more Swedish, like "AGN3TA", had it been up to me.)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Very pleased with my new (2018) Honda Civic.

After 14 years with Saturn Ion - I got to the point of diminishing returns - putting way more money into it than it was worth.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Hey T - I read this and thought of you immediately...plus I want one.

https://jalopnik.com/the-worlds-coolest-volvos-are-for-sale-1830283079
The M Sport P2s are pretty cool! My friend in Bmore has the detuned domestic production version of the V70, the V70r and it PULLS. I cant even imagine how sick the M Sports would be on the track. That being said, my personal favorite for "coolest volvo ever" are the Group A Rally-Spec 242s that Volvo grey imported in 1983.

There is a pistachio/mint green Volvo wagon, probably a late 70s 244, but I'm not an expert, that I drive past on my way home from work. It makes me think of The T and I smile because the plate is "MILDR3D", which seems perfect for that age and color.:D (I would have gone with something more Swedish, like "AGN3TA", had it been up to me.)
Ooooooooh I LOVE LATE 70s 240s!! thats SICK! The early models ('75-'80) are rarer because of natural age, and the fact the bodies weren't galvanized and they had the finicky (but fun if properly tuned) KJet fuel system and many also had no A/C. Made them less desirable as "Keepers" than the 81+ models which are the majority of the 240s you still see on the road. Those pistachio Green early 240s are sooooo steazy! I have a friend in Western MI with a right hand drive 1979 244 in that colour she imported from Wales.

Also if its a wagon its a 245.

The nomenclature is:

242- 2 door, 4 cyl coupe
244 - 4 door 4 cyl sedan
245 - 5 door, 4cyl wagon
--
262 - 2 door 6 cyl coupe
264 - 4 door 6 cyl sedan
265 - 5 door, 6 cyl wagon

From production start in 1975 (1976 for North America), 200 series cars were badged by their full numerical and trim designation i.e. "245 DL" or "264 GL". After 1981 until 1985, Volvo marketed the 200 series generically in the U.S. by trim spec "DL" up to "Turbo".

The options were:

DL - Deluxe
GL - Grand Luxe
GLE - Grand Luxe Executive
GLT - Grant Lux Touring (which had a turbo option)
Turbo - Most turbo 240s that werent optioned up to GLT level were badged just as "Turbo"

From 1986-1990, North America saw the return to 240 labeling for both sedans and wagons after the coupes ceased production, with 240 followed by DL or GL mostly, although "SE" models were sold 1991-93 that had limited slip rears as a cold weather package. From 1991-93 GL trim was dropped, base model was badged just as "240" with "DL" being range topper and SE in between. For 1993 only, to celebrate end of production of the 200 series, 1600 US market 240s were sold as "240 Classics" that were individually numbered and had leather interior and woodgrain dash trim, along with special mesh wheels and power mirrors.

26X models were discontinued in North America after 1985 generally, most of the ones we got here in the States were 264s with the D24 Diesel inline 6 that was sourced from Volkswagen between MY's 1981-1985.

Volvo got on the automotive diesel bandwagon, during the era when automakers were experimenting with diesels for CAFE boosting to mixed results - from miserable failure like GM's 5.7l Diesel V8 to moderate success like Volvo's 200 series D24 cars, to resounding success like Mercedes OM series diesels that made it over here. Anyone here remember the diesel fad in the early 80s and/or ever own one?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Very pleased with my new (2018) Honda Civic.

After 14 years with Saturn Ion - I got to the point of diminishing returns - putting way more money into it than it was worth.
Good to hear that J. I'm happy with 2017 Camry though there was a big tech jump from my last one.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Yeah I remember them. They really sucked in cold weather climates in the winter.
Yep, because the diesel will gel if it gets below 30 Fahrenheit. I can imagine many Northeastern Oldsmobile 88 owners with the Diesel 5.7 being very pissed during the winter of 1982 when low and behold, their new "fuel efficient" full size GM Boat wouldnt start in the cold!

Anyone here remember when I briefly had an '81 Mercedes 300D, that I had to sell it due to worn piston rings? That car had a block heater, I plugged it in overnight anytime it dropped below freezing and never had a cold start problem when using it. Mercedes though, being a hoighty toighty brand, thought ahead and included the heaters for Diesel cars sold in the Northern States.

Fun fact: U.S. market Diesel's weren't required to have catalytic converters until 1998. Only other diesel I'd like to own is another Mercedes, a really nice 1982-85 300TD Turbodiesel wagon in better shape than the non turbo '81 sedan I had. Its a goal before I turn 40.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Yeah I remember them. They really sucked in cold weather climates in the winter.
When I was a kid, we had a diesel Pontiac 6000 with super dark (totally illegal) windows on it. We called it the gangster car.

In the winter, my dad would put kerosene in it instead of diesel if it was really cold (and it was -- we lived in Upstate NY). I can remember one day at the gas station with my dad filling up, the attendant came RUNNING outside to scream at my dad to stop putting kerosene in the car. He laughed, thanked her, and told her that he knew what he was doing.

That was back when diesel was cheap.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yep, because the diesel will gel if it gets below 30 Fahrenheit. I can imagine many Northeastern Oldsmobile 88 owners with the Diesel 5.7 being very pissed during the winter of 1982 when low and behold, their new "fuel efficient" full size GM Boat wouldnt start in the cold!
My dad had a diesel Oldsmobile Delta 88 as a company car back in the '80s for about a year or so. The thing was absolutely massive and he really liked it because it could fit all seven of us if three sat in the front and me and my sister (who were the two youngest and still pretty small) squeezed in between my oldest brother and sister in the back or if I sat on the floor... we weren't real big on seat belts or car seats. I remember my dad used to park it in the heated portion of the dairy barn in the winter (their garage was always too full of crap to put a car in there) to keep it from gelling up overnight in the cold. I also remember him being mad when his office took that car from him and gave him a Plymouth Horizon for a company car because it was so small. After he drove that Horizon for a few months he decided he absolutely loved it because it got awesome mileage and I think he ended up liking it precisely because it was too small to put all 7 of us in! He ended up buying it from his office so he could keep it when they gave him a new car the next year. He kept that Horizon for about a decade and I think it had about 200,000 miles on it when he sold it to a neighbor kid who ended up driving it for at least another year

FWIW, when he bought the Horizon from his office, they also gave him another company car: This time it was an AMC Eagle. I think I was in junior high by this time and I remember really liking the Eagle because it was 4wd and sat up a higher and felt rugged for a car. My dad would usually leave for work by about 6:00 a.m. and be gone before I got up for school. I remember one winter morning I got up and took a shower and was surprised when I got out and went into the kitchen for breakfast because my dad was in there and he was just sitting there drinking some coffee. I asked why he was home and he nonchalantly told me his car caught fire. Apparently he had driven about a half mile and smelled burning plastic and rubber so he stopped the car and pulled over to check and when he popped the hood it just ignited. This was before cell phones and there were no houses between where the car caught fire and our house and we lived a long way from any fire department so by the time he walked home in the cold and snow, called the fire department and when they eventually showed up, the car was toast.

After that they gave him a Chrysler K-Car as a company car. My dad hated that because it was so bland but my mom really liked it so she drove that most days and he happily took the Horizon back from her.

Planit

Cyburbian
Oh gosh I loved the AMC Eagle our neighbor owned. They even let me drive many times when they went out of town (on the condition I took them to the airport and picked them up).

The 1st city I worked for had a K-car as the Planning vehicle. It was brown & a total piece of crap. It stalled out anytime your drove through a puddle more than an inch or 2 deep (& in Florida after an afternoon downpour there were several).

AG74683

Cyburbian
I really want an AMC Javelin or AMX as a project car, but finding them cheap is incredibly hard.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I took my driver's test in a crap brown K car that belonged to my aunt. I felt way more comfortable parallel parking that than the Ford Econoline van or the '78 Lincoln Continental we had.

Planit

Cyburbian
I took my driver's test in a crap brown K car that belonged to my aunt. I felt way more comfortable parallel parking that than the Ford Econoline van or the '78 Lincoln Continental we had.
I practiced my parallel parking in my mom's '71 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon, then took the test in my dad's Toyota Corolla. That was easy!

The Girl tells me they don't even require the parallel parking test anymore. I guess that's why so many people who park downtown complain.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I practiced my parallel parking in my mom's '71 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon, then took the test in my dad's Toyota Corolla. That was easy!

The Girl tells me they don't even require the parallel parking test anymore. I guess that's why so many people who park downtown complain.
Oh, man, that's amusing - I was talking with a couple of my coworkers yesterday (I do that when I actually go into the office), and driving tests somehow came up in the conversation. One of the guys I was talking to is a fellow south Georgia ex-pat, and we were debating which of our initial driving tests back in the 80s was easier (answer: they were both stupid easy). Neither of us had to parallel park as part of it - he actually noted that his small hometown only had two places where parallel parking was even a possibility.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Maryland eliminated parallel parking from its test a few years ago. Because too many people weren't passing it! Yeah, that makes sense. Drives me insane watching people try to park downtown. I'm not an autonomous vehicle fan but if it would help people park in a time frame of less than 5 minutes I might be persuaded.

On another note, I understand road rage. I'm not advocating violence but I seriously understand why some people snap. There are a LOT of people who simply should not have the privilege of driving. So many completely clueless and ignorant assholes on the road. There should be a law that if you just hang in the left lane you get pulled over and tasered. Now THAT'S a law I could get behind.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There should be a law that if you just hang in the left lane you get pulled over and tasered. Now THAT'S a law I could get behind.
Georgia has a law that does give cops the leeway to pull folks over if they're driving too slow in the left lane...I don't think tasering is part of it, though.

DVD

Cyburbian
Maryland eliminated parallel parking from its test a few years ago. Because too many people weren't passing it! Yeah, that makes sense. Drives me insane watching people try to park downtown. I'm not an autonomous vehicle fan but if it would help people park in a time frame of less than 5 minutes I might be persuaded.

On another note, I understand road rage. I'm not advocating violence but I seriously understand why some people snap. There are a LOT of people who simply should not have the privilege of driving. So many completely clueless and ignorant assholes on the road. There should be a law that if you just hang in the left lane you get pulled over and tasered. Now THAT'S a law I could get behind.
Arizona has the same law as Georgia, but I don't think they enforce it. Personally I use the right lane because every idiot is trying to get into the left lane and I get off the freeway before the idiots all try to dive back to the right. It just seems to go faster for the short distance I use the freeway.
Road rage incident of the day. Some idiot in a work truck with a trailer took a right from the middle lane in front of moving traffic. Poor guy in front of me had to slam his breaks to ovoid stupid.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I don't think I ever had to parallel park in my driver's test back in '95. I don't recall any of the downtowns near us even having parallel parking on their streets - most had angled parking. About 18 years ago I was dating a girl who grew up on Long Island and when we were out there visiting some of her friends and family one time, she noticed I was struggling to park my big Jeep Grand Wagoneer (with faulty power steering) in their dense little downtown areas and she told me how to parallel park just about any vehicle by pulling up so my front mirrors were in line with the next vehicle's mirrors and then immediately cutting the wheel while reversing. Immediately I became an expert at it and I think that's the only thing I got out of that 4 year relationship!

We have parallel parking all over the downtown we live in as well as all of the neighboring downtowns so I use my skill quite a bit. I can even put my dad's big F350 into some pretty tight parking spots with ease. My wife has never learned to parallel park and hates trying to do so and is impressed when I do it with such ease. I don't tell here where I learned how.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Jeep has finally announced that the Gladiator will go on sale for the 2020 model year and I'm in! I've seen a few of them on the road near me over the past year or so with manufacturers plates and the occasional version covered in plastic and paper to mask the vehicle (but the shape of any Jeep is pretty distinctive to me) and I've been drooling over them since the concept a few years ago. I was planning to keep my 4-door Rubicon for many more years but I may seriously consider trading mine in when they go on sale one year from tomorrow!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I failed my first drive's test because of I couldn't parallel park. I passed it on the second try. I avoid parallel parking to this day.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Jeep has finally announced that the Gladiator will go on sale for the 2020 model year and I'm in! I've seen a few of them on the road near me over the past year or so with manufacturers plates and the occasional version covered in plastic and paper to mask the vehicle (but the shape of any Jeep is pretty distinctive to me) and I've been drooling over them since the concept a few years ago. I was planning to keep my 4-door Rubicon for many more years but I may seriously consider trading mine in when they go on sale one year from tomorrow!
It's really nothing more than a Scrambler with a back seat. I'm a Scrambler owner and love them but to be a real truck you need to have at least a 6' bed.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's really nothing more than a Scrambler with a back seat. I'm a Scrambler owner and love them but to be a real truck you need to have at least a 6' bed.
I was surprised they actually didn't resurrect the Scrambler name for this and then offer a "Gladiator" version as a beefed up one with locking diffs, skid plates, and bigger tires, but oh well.

I've been a Wrangler owner for close to 20 years now (and Grand Wagoneers before that) and I am the first to admit that it's one of the least practical vehicles on the market. I honestly do not need any sort of truck so the Gladiator with it's short bed will suit my needs perfectly. In the past decade or so, there has been exactly one occasion when I needed to haul something I couldn't fit in whatever Jeep I had at the time or in my wife's Traverse and I borrowed my dad's truck for that.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
... but to be a real truck you need to have at least a 6' bed.
I've gotta say -- having an 8' bed is the best! A few years back, right before a hurricane was due to land on us, we went to Lowes' Depot for supplies. While everyone else was loading one item at a time, by hand, into or onto their vehicles -- all these tailgates closed and having to squeeze wood in at an angle and tie stuff down -- here was us, with a front loader putting an entire stack of 8' plywood neatly in the truck. Then we closed the tailgate and drove away.

I imagine the others stared in disbelief, so jealous of my 50 year old truck. :-|

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Georgia has a law that does give cops the leeway to pull folks over if they're driving too slow in the left lane...I don't think tasering is part of it, though.
Good, we need that in Ohio too. Studies have shown that it's slow drivers, not speeders, that promote driver aggression, because no matter what you do, you just can't get around them.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I think almost more than anything is the fact that people are simply too lazy to change lanes. And when they do, hardly anybody actually turns their head, they just put on a blinker and go. It drives me insane when some asshole is just bombing along in the left lane because a quarter mile ahead is a car they are going to pass. Here's a clue, if you can't tell that the car behind you is going to overtake you before you overtake the next car in front of you please just get someone else to drive. Otherwise, GTF over!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
:-{ Left Lane Campers :-@
We just call them Left Lane Dicks here.

I learned how to drive in my friend's 1975 Dodge Dart. I took my driving test in a Chrysler New Yorker, parallel parking required.

RT learned how to drive in my 2007 Chevy Impala and learned how to parallel park in it as well. She had to borrow her friend's car to take the driving test because in NJ the tester has to be able to access the brake pedal from the passenger seat and the Impala had a center console. Her friend's car was much smaller so she didn't have any issues with parallel parking.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
That's interesting. In Maryland when I took my test it was given on a closed "course" at the MVA lot. This was after logging so many hours behind the wheel during driver education class. I know my parents told me that in their day the driving test meant going out on the road. Is it that way in most other states?

Bubba

Cyburbian
That's interesting. In Maryland when I took my test it was given on a closed "course" at the MVA lot. This was after logging so many hours behind the wheel during driver education class. I know my parents told me that in their day the driving test meant going out on the road. Is it that way in most other states?
My one driving test (back in '87?) was out on the road, albeit just around the block...

Planit

Cyburbian
Come to think of it, I took my test on a closed-course and only 1 car could be on it at a time. Way back then, we didn't log hours behind the wheel and it wasn't a calendar year after getting my permit. When you turned 16, you were eligible to take the test. Drivers Ed had more to do with lowering insurance rates than anything else - circa 1977.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've gotta say -- having an 8' bed is the best! A few years back, right before a hurricane was due to land on us, we went to Lowes' Depot for supplies. While everyone else was loading one item at a time, by hand, into or onto their vehicles -- all these tailgates closed and having to squeeze wood in at an angle and tie stuff down -- here was us, with a front loader putting an entire stack of 8' plywood neatly in the truck. Then we closed the tailgate and drove away.

I imagine the others stared in disbelief, so jealous of my 50 year old truck. :-|
Yep, 8' bed required to be a real truck. The commercials can talk all they want about hauling and payloads, if you can't fit a sheet of drywall in the bed and close the tailgate it ain't a truck.

My one driving test (back in '87?) was out on the road, albeit just around the block...
Ditto. The test guy had the choice of parallel parking or 3 point turn. I got the 3 point turn.:D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Back in NJ in '77, you could get your Learner's Permit at 16.5 years and take the Road Test only after you turned 17. Right after I turned 16.5, I bought a '72 VW Beetle with a 4-speed manual transmission (for $1000!). I taught myself how to drive in that car, but decided against using it for the Road Test because 1) if you stalled you failed and I had no idea if there would be hills on the Road Test and 2) a friend let me use her Ford sedan (the Ford badge equivalent of the Mercury Maverick?) that had air conditioning (a luxury in NJ in August of '77 if you were a BMV tester).

I had never parallel parked the morning of the day I took the test. I borrowed this friend's car, set up some boxes as imaginary cars, and proceeded to flatten the boxes both times I tried. I had heard you could fail one portion of the test and still pass, so screw it away I went.

We drove off on the Road Test and the guy put me through my paces. I actually nailed the parallel parking - somehow - and he opened the door to verify I was within 6" of the curb. We got back to the BMV and he asked me how I thought I did and all I could say was "I have no idea, I'm just glad it's over!" He let me worry for what seemed like an eternity and then told me I had passed and he thought I would be a good driver. My friend that drove me to the test asked if I wanted to drive back home, but I remember telling her I was too damned nervous still and she should drive.

To this day, I'm a very confident parallel parker, whether on regular two way streets or on the "wrong" side of one-way streets. No problem.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I took my test on the road in 1993 and I don't remember a time requirement after I got my permit; we had to do it all -- parallel park, 3 point turn, etc. I failed because *technically* I ran a red light. But I was making a left hand turn on red and I just forgot to literally stop. I rolled about half way through and stopped, looking at the guy and saying "oops, I was supposed to stop, wasn't I?". He let me continue the test for another minute but when I started to make attempt #2 at parallel parking, he said it didn't matter anyway; I had already failed.

Here in our area in the south, they do the closed course thing with the driver's ed vehicle. The directions for parallel parking actually described where exactly (on the driver's ed vehicle) you needed to see the cone -- in the triangle mirror of the back door. It seems to me that's only preparing you to pass the test, not to actually know how to park!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, I did a road test one time only back in 1980. We had to do the usual tests. You know, like drive on two wheels

execute a slalom course in reverse gear, do a few handbrake turns on hairpin curves

and maybe a couple reverse bootlegger turnarounds

You know, the usual sort of drivers ed stuff.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We had to as well. We had a class then we had the driving part. I actually learned from dad, who was a cop, and one of my grandfathers. That probably accounts for the way I drive.:-c8-!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think almost more than anything is the fact that people are simply too lazy to change lanes. And when they do, hardly anybody actually turns their head, they just put on a blinker and go. It drives me insane when some asshole is just bombing along in the left lane because a quarter mile ahead is a car they are going to pass. Here's a clue, if you can't tell that the car behind you is going to overtake you before you overtake the next car in front of you please just get someone else to drive. Otherwise, GTF over!
I don't think it's laziness so much as it is that people are just so inconsiderate and have no idea that their actions and behaviors affect others. I find this true in many places in life but it's exceptionally noticeable on the road:
  • Not using a turn signal
  • Waiting until the last possible minute to move into the turn lane
  • Not paying attention at a stop light
  • Taking absolutely forever to make a turn or coming to a complete stop in traffic when making a right turn
  • Stopping across a crosswalk
  • Driving 10 under the limit in the left lanes...

So many people drive oblivious to others driving around them and how they are impeding the natural flow of 94% of the other drivers on the road.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I wish there was a way you could calculate how many cars went through a given intersection on a green light today versus say 10 years ago. Like if there were 20 cars lined up how many get through the light today than 10 years ago assuming the timing is the same. I say it's substantially fewer because so many people are LOOKING AT THEIR DAMN PHONE at the light! So factor in a few extra seconds before they can put down the phone and then drive through the light and cumulatively fewer get through. It drives me crazy. I've got shit to do and it doesn't involve my phone.