• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Car Talk

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I don't think it's laziness so much as it is that people are just so inconsiderate and have no idea that their actions and behaviors affect others. I find this true in many places in life but it's exceptionally noticeable on the road:
  • Not using a turn signal
  • Waiting until the last possible minute to move into the turn lane
  • Not paying attention at a stop light
  • Taking absolutely forever to make a turn or coming to a complete stop in traffic when making a right turn
  • Stopping across a crosswalk
  • Driving 10 under the limit in the left lanes...

So many people drive oblivious to others driving around them and how they are impeding the natural flow of 94% of the other drivers on the road.
Agreed! I try to give people the benefit of the doubt: not everyone is stupid; they're just totally self-centered and don't care.

(I'm not sure which is worse.)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I don't think it's laziness so much as it is that people are just so inconsiderate and have no idea that their actions and behaviors affect others. I find this true in many places in life but it's exceptionally noticeable on the road:
  • Taking absolutely forever to make a turn or coming to a complete stop in traffic when making a right turn

So many people drive oblivious to others driving around them and how they are impeding the natural flow of 94% of the other drivers on the road.
You can add:

*Braking first and then using turn signal
*Going 15MPH in a 20MPH school zone and beginning this a good 300 feet before the school zone even starts and then continuing another 300+ feet after it ends
*Stopping the second the light turns yellow even though they could easily have cleared the intersection
*Refusing to pull forward when turning left on a "straight-green" at an intersection. And then not moving at all when it turns red again.
*Also, refusing to pull forward unless it's a green arrow, even though all oncoming traffic has cleared on a straight green.
*Using high-beams and then refusing to turn them off when "flickered." I've seen a huge spike in this lately. It's gotten so bad, I don't even flick my lights anymore. I just turn my high-beams on and leave them on until the asshole turns his off.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

Agree with this as well, plus not stopping at stop signs and leaving their high beams on.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
You can add:

*Refusing to pull forward when turning left on a "straight-green" at an intersection. And then not moving at all when it turns red again.
*Also, refusing to pull forward unless it's a green arrow, even though all oncoming traffic has cleared on a straight green.
^^^ THIS!! Come on, people! If you move out into the center of the intersection when making a left hand turn on green, at least one of us will get through the light when it turns red. Are people just not aware of this?

Bubba

Cyburbian
^^^ THIS!! Come on, people! If you move out into the center of the intersection when making a left hand turn on green, at least one of us will get through the light when it turns red. Are people just not aware of this?
Mrs. Bubba isn't - been trying for years to get through to her on this...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In my experience, most people from Indiana and Kentucky DO NOT enter the intersection on a green light to await the left turn movement. It drives me batty. I've even had some people question whether doing it is legal. 8-!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
In my experience, most people from Indiana and Kentucky DO NOT enter the intersection on a green light to await the left turn movement. It drives me batty. I've even had some people question whether doing it is legal. 8-!
Back in the day, they taught you not to do that. Something that has stayed with me to this day.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Back in the day, they taught you not to do that. Something that has stayed with me to this day.
My mother took driver's ed in ... let's say 1972ish in Upstate NY. Her teacher was very specific about getting out into the intersection for the very reason that -- if you don't have a green arrow (did they have green arrows back then?), it may take forever to get through a busy intersection on a left turn. Mom passed this knowledge along to my sibling and I far before we actually learned to drive.

PLUS what happens if you're on a 2-lane road?? You could be blocking traffic behind you for days!

On a similar topic, I can remember being 18ish and my cousin came to visit from MS. A car in front of me in an intersection was turning left and I had plenty of room to stay in the intersection but go around on the right. He just about jumped out of the car, telling me that what I'd done was totally illegal and very dangerous. (Keep in mind, I grew up in a very rural area and this intersection is huge.) It still bothers me to this day because it never occurred to me that it might be illegal.

Also, I still do it.

DVD

Cyburbian
Back in the day the lights changed almost instantly from red to the other street having green. Now there is a built in delay. Makes turning left a little bit safer. I guess.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Back in the day the lights changed almost instantly from red to the other street having green.
Back in the day that was sufficient enough to keep Otis and RJ from t-boning each other with their Model Ts.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My mother took driver's ed in ... let's say 1972ish in Upstate NY. Her teacher was very specific about getting out into the intersection for the very reason that -- if you don't have a green arrow (did they have green arrows back then?), it may take forever to get through a busy intersection on a left turn. Mom passed this knowledge along to my sibling and I far before we actually learned to drive.
I took driver's ed after your mom and they they were still teaching that, though we did have the red/yellow/green stoplights.

My personal favorite is when a Mexican standoff happens at a 4 way stop. All 4 are afraid to go forward lest someone else had the same idea.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
[1]My mother took driver's ed in ... let's say 1972ish in Upstate NY. Her teacher was very specific about getting out into the intersection for the very reason that -- if you don't have a green arrow (did they have green arrows back then?), it may take forever to get through a busy intersection on a left turn. Mom passed this knowledge along to my sibling and I far before we actually learned to drive.

PLUS what happens if you're on a 2-lane road?? You could be blocking traffic behind you for days!

[2]On a similar topic, I can remember being 18ish and my cousin came to visit from MS. A car in front of me in an intersection was turning left and I had plenty of room to stay in the intersection but go around on the right. He just about jumped out of the car, telling me that what I'd done was totally illegal and very dangerous. (Keep in mind, I grew up in a very rural area and this intersection is huge.) It still bothers me to this day because it never occurred to me that it might be illegal.

Also, I still do it.
[1] I took drivers ed about 5 years later in Buffalo and and yes, that's what I was taught: Get your nose into the intersection, and NYS traffic law says that if you're in the intersection when the light turns yellow, it's legal to clear the intersection when you get the red light.

Variations on that include the "New York Left" (a term I never heard until I left the state), where, if there are no turn arrows, the first person in line in the left turn lane jumps the intersection as soon as the light turns green and before opposing traffic starts moving. Then there's the "California Left" where when the light turns red, two or three cars sneak through to make a left turn well after the light has changed. I think for both of these cases, you typically get a ticket only if you cause an accident trying to make that left turn in between lights; otherwise, it's no harm-no foul.

[2] If you're talking about crossing the solid white line on the right (onto the shoulder), that may or may not be illegal depending on state laws (illegal in California, legal in Texas). If you don't even have to cross onto the shoulder though, I can't see anything wrong with passing a left turning car on the right.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My personal favorite is when a Mexican standoff happens at a 4 way stop. All 4 are afraid to go forward lest someone else had the same idea.
I'm the guy that will just go in that situation. If someone else also goes, I yield the right of way if they're on my right or make the left turn in front of me; otherwise I make them wait for me. I'm not a very patient driver.

DVD

Cyburbian
Almost saw a great accident in my last town. The intersection was huge because the one side stopped behind railroad tracks. Everyone did the New York left thing which normally wasn't a problem because of the distance the tracks pushed the other side back. Except the one time there was no one in the other straight lane and the light turned green just when an suv had the right timing and good speed to go straight through. Add that and some ice and I was just waiting for the wreck. Missed it by just a hair.

Pet peeve for me are the people that stop a car length or more behind the light or the next person in line at the light. Why the gap?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Pet peeve for me are the people that stop a car length or more behind the light or the next person in line at the light. Why the gap?
Yes, at some intersections the auto sensor won't activate and the light won't change if you don't pull up far enough. I've actually gotten out of the car, knocked on the losers' window and told them 'we're going to sit here all day if you don't pull further forward to activate the sensor'

AG74683

Cyburbian
They taught that in drivers ed from what I remember. Basically to stop when the rear tires of the car ahead are level with the hood of your car (IE you're supposed to see the rear tires of the car ahead). I guess this is to prevent you from smashing the car in front of you in the event of a rear end collision.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
They taught that in drivers ed from what I remember. Basically to stop when the rear tires of the car ahead are level with the hood of your car (IE you're supposed to see the rear tires of the car ahead). I guess this is to prevent you from smashing the car in front of you in the event of a rear end collision.
Or sudden stops, or not using a turn signal, being an idiot, etc.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Yes, at some intersections the auto sensor won't activate and the light won't change if you don't pull up far enough. I've actually gotten out of the car, knocked on the losers' window and told them 'we're going to sit here all day if you don't pull further forward to activate the sensor'
I love that you got out of your car! That's when I would have just laid on the horn and been much less polite.

I love my horn in my vehicle. I use it all. the. time!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It's the fully loaded 4-door version and I've kept it very clean and it has relatively low miles and is running perfectly. I was planning on keeping for many more moons but I've also had my eye on the new Jeep Gladiators since I started seeing a prototype in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. Now that they are actually available I have really been interested and last week one of my older sisters offered me $$$$$ (along with her stepson's employee discount to put towards a new Jeep, which is essentially 5% off of sticker) for my Wrangler when her lease is up next month.

I was very tempted because she offered me basically what a '14 JK Rubicon goes for on a used lot which is quite a bit more than I'd probably get on a trade but after stopping by my dealership last night and looking at the inventory I discovered that the Gladiator is currently only available in a few basic colors, none of which I really like (red, black, grey/silver, or white). I've had my heart set on the sand ("gobi") or green ("gator") colors but those will likely not be available for at least another 6 months. I think I'm going to have to pass up her offer. It's a good deal (and I'm sure I'd still be able to get the stepson's discount later) but if I am going to spend that much on a new vehicle I'm gonna get it in the color I really want! I guess I'm vain that way...

DVD

Cyburbian
You sure you don't want it in haze gray to remind you of your days riding around in a taxi.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It's the fully loaded 4-door version and I've kept it very clean and it has relatively low miles and is running perfectly. I was planning on keeping for many more moons but I've also had my eye on the new Jeep Gladiators since I started seeing a prototype in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. Now that they are actually available I have really been interested and last week one of my older sisters offered me $$$$$ (along with her stepson's employee discount to put towards a new Jeep, which is essentially 5% off of sticker) for my Wrangler when her lease is up next month.

I was very tempted because she offered me basically what a '14 JK Rubicon goes for on a used lot which is quite a bit more than I'd probably get on a trade but after stopping by my dealership last night and looking at the inventory I discovered that the Gladiator is currently only available in a few basic colors, none of which I really like (red, black, grey/silver, or white). I've had my heart set on the sand ("gobi") or green ("gator") colors but those will likely not be available for at least another 6 months. I think I'm going to have to pass up her offer. It's a good deal (and I'm sure I'd still be able to get the stepson's discount later) but if I am going to spend that much on a new vehicle I'm gonna get it in the color I really want! I guess I'm vain that way...
I should have sold it to my sister when I had the chance!

The Jeep has been struggling on start-up over the past week. I was in need of an oil change and planned to go one day next week and have them test the battery. Well, yesterday the Jeep failed to turn over and start after the Halloween parade at my daughter's school. I quickly got a jump and drove straight to the dealership and got my oil changed and had them test the battery. It was putting out plenty of power so it's not the likely culprit and it was probably the starter or maybe the fuel pump. Unfortunately, it was Halloween and I had 1000 other things I needed to do, including a couple meetings back at the office, and the Jeep seemed to be starting as it should once again so I decided it could wait until next week as originally planned. However, my Jeep had other plans and wouldn't start when I went to go grab some lunch and run some errands today.

If I knew for certain that it was the starter, I could change that on my own pretty quickly but I don't really want to go through all that work if it turns out to be the fuel pump or alternator or something else a bit more difficult to get to. Hopefully the service department has open spots for tomorrow so I can get it taken care of this weekend. Now I'm just waiting waiting waiting on my wife to get back to me to let me know whether she can pick me up from the dealership tonight after work so I can try to get it in there first thing if they do have openings.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had the electrical stuff all fixed, oil changed, and a few other routine maintenance things done Tuesday morning. My tires were nearing the end of their useful life (only 60k miles on them but they are beefy mud terrain tires and the spare already had a couple internal patches in it) so I was in the market for those. I wanted to switch over to the BFG All Terrains from the Goodyear MTRs that I had and while I was at the dealer I got a quote for those. While I was waiting around for them to finish up the work I called a couple tire chains and got quotes for the same tires. One of them came in $30 cheaper a tire. I was surprised at the total price they emailed over to me and didn't really think the dealer would match it but maybe they would come close and make it worthwhile to do it there. The service manager came back out and actually beat the tire chain's total price by about $75. So I had them order the tires and told them I'd be back this morning to get them installed.

I went in this morning when they opened at 7:00 a.m. and they got to work. What should have been a 45 minute job turned into about 2 hours because their calibration machine malfunctioned. I didn't mind waiting around though as I had my computer and phone and was taking care of work and it was nice to not be at my desk. When the service manager came back out with my key and bills he actually knocked off another $80 for the cost of mounting and balancing since I had to wait so long. All in all, a good deal, especially for me as somebody who cannot haggle.

Driving back to the office I was reminded how much smoother the ride can be with new (and slightly less aggressive) tires!

AG74683

Cyburbian
I wanted to switch over to the BFG All Terrains from the Goodyear MTRs that I had and while I was at the dealer I got a quote for those.
If you do any form of offroading with that Jeep, be aware that those BFG AT's suck up mud like nobody's business and absolutely will not self clear. I found that out the hard way once when we had to sit with sticks and clear mud out manually before my Wrangler would regain any traction, it sucked.

I recently went from a set of Firestone Destination AT's to General Grabber ATX's. I really like them, but they are a little bit more aggressive and I have some slight tire rub at full lock when under any sort of suspension flex. Not a big deal, I don't take it out offroading anymore so I'm not that upset.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
If you do any form of offroading with that Jeep, be aware that those BFG AT's suck up mud like nobody's business and absolutely will not self clear. I found that out the hard way once when we had to sit with sticks and clear mud out manually before my Wrangler would regain any traction, it sucked.

I recently went from a set of Firestone Destination AT's to General Grabber ATX's. I really like them, but they are a little bit more aggressive and I have some slight tire rub at full lock when under any sort of suspension flex. Not a big deal, I don't take it out offroading anymore so I'm not that upset.

I've had BFG ATs, BFG MTs, and Goodyear MTRs on many Jeeps over the years and taken them all offroad from in everything from the rocks at Uwharrie to deep sand on the dunes in Michigan and muddy pits out in the field or through 3' snow drifts. They all like to suck up the mud, given the chance but I've actually found the Goodyear MTRs to be the worst in those situations (the BFG MTs were the best) but the differences were only minimal. The Goodyear MTRs were phenomanal on rock or more technical wheeling.

But really in the end these days I try to avoid any wheeling in mud altogether. I used to enjoy it because let's face it, it's fun and it looks cool, but it is just a pain in the a55 to clean up thoroughly and you run the risk of bogging down so easily and doing so much damage or throwing up a buried rock or tree branch and then really messing something up. I don't mind driving through the occasional muddy spot on a trail if I really need to but no longer am I seeking it out and really ripping through it.

As an all around tire for what is also a daily driver, the BFG ATs are light years above the other two on the road (better handling, smoother ride, much much quieter, longer life, better mileage, etc.). They are also much better in snow and on ice, which is important here.

When I used to post on a few off roading sites a lot, folks always loved the Dunlop Rover ATs and MTs. They were never a big seller but it sounded like once somebody switched to one of those, they never wanted to try anything different.

AG74683

Cyburbian
As an all around tire for what is also a daily driver, the BFG ATs are light years above the other two on the road (better handling, smoother ride, much much quieter, longer life, better mileage, etc.). They are also much better in snow and on ice, which is important here.
Oh yeah I totally forgot about that snow/ice capability. Those things were fantastic in the snow. The Firestone Destination AT's weren't too bad either, but they're definitely more of an on the road AT tire. I'll see this year how the Grabbers work.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
With apologies to WSU MUP Student's late grandfather, the worst car anyone in my immediate family ever owned was a Ford Granada ('76 or '77). That thing was a complete POS.
I grew up with Mopar, but I have to admit that the Fords my wife prefers have been good cars. Even the Tempo, which I didn't like at the time, far outlasted its financing and we drove it for several years after it was "totaled."

But yeah, Granadas were awful. It was a small car built like a big car, which really didn't work.

[Boy, that was an OLD post I responded to]

Last edited:

dw914er

Cyburbian
The BFG A/Ts are a good daily driver tire that works well for off roading; I have them on my TRD4x4 Tacoma and they do the job pretty well, though mud is not really common out here. My truck is a daily driver anyways, so I stick to dirt and rock trails that aren't so technical that I would be at risk of breaking something. The tires for my size are E rated though, so they are very heavy, but Tacomas and BFG A/Ts go together like peanut butter and jelly so I got them anyways.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The local Ford dealer has a 2002 Ford F-250 Super Cab XLT for sale. It's a manual with the 7.3 turbo diesel. It has like 265k on it, but they want something around 12k for it. That seems a little high with that mileage right?
Well I went to look at this last night. What a mess. It's a good looking truck from 15 feet away, but close up it's a nightmare. I was told specifically to look at the bed supports because they love to rust out on the F series trucks. Sure enough, they were basically trash. One is rusted completely through and already partially collapsed. The others are on their way there. It'll need a whole new bed soon. Any significant load placed in it will surely collapse the bed in a few spots. It's worth MAYBE 6-7, not the 11,600 they want for it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One of the unplanned side effects of a new set of tires? My garage absolutely reeks of rubber this morning. Maybe I should have parked outside overnight!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My wife and I were thinking about this over linner yesterday afternoon.

You get $100,000, but you have to spend it on two cars (or trucks). You can't bank any part of it. What would you buy?

My choices: loaded (touring) 2020 Subaru Outback, loaded 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You get $100,000, but you have to spend it on two cars (or trucks). You can't bank any part of it. What would you buy?
How about a brand new Porsche Cayenne GTS ($99,550)...and a 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity ($450) with only 274,000 miles?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

My choices: loaded (touring) 2020 Subaru Outback, loaded 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance.
I was going to say a 2020 Lincoln Continental and a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon but Maister's answer is pretty good.

Doohickie

Cyburbian

LOL I'd buy at least 4 cars for that.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Our 2yo Honda Odyssey required 2 new tires to pass inspection. We ended up getting all 4 because............

We are poor.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I just put 3 new tires on my Ford CMax. I replaced 3 original tires, each with just over 60K miles on them, and kept my one relatively new tire that was a replacement for a big hole/WTF did I run over tire incident last year.

While it was there, I also had them replace my cabin and engine filters - which require removing the panel under the wipers - and doing the regular 60K hybrid engine checkup. Because the tires came from another dealership (my car is not a popular model, and the cheaper tires are not kept on hand in bulk), it took all day to get the work done. I was at home the whole time, but he still gave me a discount because of the inconvenience.

I am thinking of trading in my car. Not because I don't like it - I like it a lot. However, Ford doesn't make it anymore, and the car isn't getting any younger.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Are snow tires still a thing?
I think they are less popular now that so many people drive trucks, SUVs, or crossovers that naturally have more aggressive tires than in years past but I definitely know people who still use snow or winter tires. The folks I know who use them all happen to drive a lot and have smaller cars like Ford Focus or VW Golf.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Well I went to look at this last night. What a mess. It's a good looking truck from 15 feet away, but close up it's a nightmare. I was told specifically to look at the bed supports because they love to rust out on the F series trucks. Sure enough, they were basically trash. One is rusted completely through and already partially collapsed. The others are on their way there. It'll need a whole new bed soon. Any significant load placed in it will surely collapse the bed in a few spots. It's worth MAYBE 6-7, not the 11,600 they want for it.
I can't believe your Ford dealer didn't push this vehicle out the back door!

How about a brand new Porsche Cayenne GTS ($99,550)...and a 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity ($450) with only 274,000 miles?
Yep, this was my immediate thought -- a Porsche Panamera and the cheapest car I can find. Maybe a 1983 Chevy Caviler like all of my friends drove in high school so I can finally be part of the Caviler club.
Are snow tires still a thing?
It's been a minute since I've lived in a snowy location but when I did, I would even go as far as getting the studs installed (as recently as probably 10-12 years ago). I always got funny looks at the tire place, who told me I didn't need to worry about that but I never ditched my vehicle with studded snows. The car just feels more secure and grounded and certainly gripped the road better.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I can't believe your Ford dealer didn't push this vehicle out the back door!
They are a garbage dealership. The only reason they still exist is because they're basically the only manufacturer dealership in the entire county. I refuse to take any vehicles there for service because they constantly botch everything they do. It honestly doesn't surprise me that they'd have a truck like this on the lot. Only reason I was even interested in it was because it seemed like a pretty solid deal. Guess not!

I think the design of the supports are pretty poor in general on that truck anyway. It's fairly thin looking sheet metal and its just a bent and welded piece. It's hollow all the way down, meaning water can get inside and basically just sit there forever.

Planit

Cyburbian
Had to replace the 3rd brake light on the car this weekend. Not difficult, but lots of screws and tedious stuff. All worked out though on the first attempt which made me happy.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I think they are less popular now that so many people drive trucks, SUVs, or crossovers that naturally have more aggressive tires than in years past but I definitely know people who still use snow or winter tires. The folks I know who use them all happen to drive a lot and have smaller cars like Ford Focus or VW Golf.
Yes in new England and I've bought my last few sets studded, even with an AWD car. No comparison between real winter tires and "all seasons." The tread is different but rubber compound is also softer. Given the choice btw. the AWD car with all seasons and a FWD car with snows, I'd go for the car with snows every time.