• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Car Talk

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Also try undoing the ground from your battery to "help" it reset. Some people I know complain it's an amp issue and others complain it's the wiring control for the amp. Good luck.

You can have the Gladiator. I think it's kind of ugly and Jeep could have done something much better. I want another old CJ-7 when I get some spending cash.
Disconnecting the battery is my next step and I'll do that once I get home this evening. Just pulling the relevant fuse did nothing for it.

As for the Gladiator - it's a love or hate thing with the looks of it so I get it. I like it, but I'd have to get the Rubicon on the bigger, beefier tires. The Sport model with the smaller tires looks weird.

I do like the Bronco too and would be interested in them. Pricing and full specs are supposed to be released next week. But the photos I've seen over the past week or so look really intriguing and reports are that it will be priced better than the Wrangler. That said, dealers already have a pretty big wait list for them and they aren't even going to be available for quite a few more months. The more recent photos look pretty good and they look a bit like the Toyota FJ Cruiser (I test drove one of those before they were discontinued and loved everything but the price and the horrible blind spots).

I will say that I'm impressed with how well Ford has kept the Bronco hidden up here as I have yet to see one on the road with all the camouflaging, unlike the Gladiators which I saw driving around for a year+ before they were officially unveiled. Maybe I just live on the wrong side of town (I live and work a few miles from the FCA HQ, while Ford is all the way on the other side of town).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My radio seemed to fix itself on the way home from work yesterday (knock on wood) so I haven't bothered to disconnect the battery. I guess I'll hold off on new vehicle shopping for a bit longer.

DVD

Cyburbian
New Bronco looks good, but like AG said, more money than I have.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
...I do like the Bronco too and would be interested in them. Pricing and full specs are supposed to be released next week. But the photos I've seen over the past week or so look really intriguing and reports are that it will be priced better than the Wrangler. That said, dealers already have a pretty big wait list for them and they aren't even going to be available for quite a few more months. The more recent photos look pretty good and they look a bit like the Toyota FJ Cruiser (I test drove one of those before they were discontinued and loved everything but the price and the horrible blind spots).

I will say that I'm impressed with how well Ford has kept the Bronco hidden up here as I have yet to see one on the road with all the camouflaging, unlike the Gladiators which I saw driving around for a year+ before they were officially unveiled. Maybe I just live on the wrong side of town (I live and work a few miles from the FCA HQ, while Ford is all the way on the other side of town).
1) I also see the FJ Cruiser vibe to it; I like it. Although I'm not a huge Toyota fan, that is a vehicle I could have seen myself in.
2) And this is why I love Michigan -- the camouflaged vehicles all over!

DVD

Cyburbian
I think the failing of the FJ Cruiser was not being convertible.

dw914er

Cyburbian
You can have the Gladiator. I think it's kind of ugly and Jeep could have done something much better. I want another old CJ-7 when I get some spending cash.
I want an old scrambler - the longer version of CJ-7, especially with bigger tires, looks fantastic. I like the gladiator, and my parents have a new Rubicon wrangler, but it feels a bit too tight for my needs relative to my current 4x4 Tacoma. I do want a Ram Rebel though...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I want an old scrambler - the longer version of CJ-7, especially with bigger tires, looks fantastic. I like the gladiator, and my parents have a new Rubicon wrangler, but it feels a bit too tight for my needs relative to my current 4x4 Tacoma. I do want a Ram Rebel though...
I had an '84 Scrambler for years. Half hard top, steel doors, all removable. It was so much fun to drive. A complete rust bucket, but nonetheless a totally fun vehicle. I sold it in '09. I wish I'd have held on to it now that I have money that I could restore it right. Technically the Scrambler was a CJ-8. There are some pretty incredible ones out there for sale for a pretty penny.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think the failing of the FJ Cruiser was not being convertible.
They were also extraordinarily expensive. I think the FJ looks good and have no issues with it not being a convertible (if they ever bring out a new model, you can bet it'll have a panoramic sunroof which will alleviate the convertible issue). Hell, the FJ is still super expensive. You're looking at 20k to get one with under 100k miles on it. You can get them for 13-15 all day, but they come with nearly 200 on the clock.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
They were also extraordinarily expensive. I think the FJ looks good and have no issues with it being a convertible (if they ever bring out a new model, you can bet it'll have a panoramic sunroof which will alleviate the convertible issue). Hell, the FJ is still super expensive. You're looking at 20k to get one with under 100k miles on it. You can get them for 13-15 all day, but they come with nearly 200 on the clock.
Yeah, that was my other big gripe about the FJ was that they were expensive, plus there was absolutely no wiggle room on them and it was impossible to get any sort of friends & family or employee discount, unlike with FCA products (or Ford or GM) where I can call 10 people and have 20 discount codes. The FJ Cruiser also required premium gas which was another knock against it. I do like the Toyota 4Runner and would consider one of those. Yes, the base price is more than the Wrangler or Gladiator but you get a lot more for the money on that base model than what you would get for the same money from Jeep... but it's just not as cool!