• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Vehicles / bikes 🏍 Car Talk

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Also try undoing the ground from your battery to "help" it reset. Some people I know complain it's an amp issue and others complain it's the wiring control for the amp. Good luck.

You can have the Gladiator. I think it's kind of ugly and Jeep could have done something much better. I want another old CJ-7 when I get some spending cash.

Disconnecting the battery is my next step and I'll do that once I get home this evening. Just pulling the relevant fuse did nothing for it.

As for the Gladiator - it's a love or hate thing with the looks of it so I get it. I like it, but I'd have to get the Rubicon on the bigger, beefier tires. The Sport model with the smaller tires looks weird.

I do like the Bronco too and would be interested in them. Pricing and full specs are supposed to be released next week. But the photos I've seen over the past week or so look really intriguing and reports are that it will be priced better than the Wrangler. That said, dealers already have a pretty big wait list for them and they aren't even going to be available for quite a few more months. The more recent photos look pretty good and they look a bit like the Toyota FJ Cruiser (I test drove one of those before they were discontinued and loved everything but the price and the horrible blind spots).

I will say that I'm impressed with how well Ford has kept the Bronco hidden up here as I have yet to see one on the road with all the camouflaging, unlike the Gladiators which I saw driving around for a year+ before they were officially unveiled. Maybe I just live on the wrong side of town (I live and work a few miles from the FCA HQ, while Ford is all the way on the other side of town).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My radio seemed to fix itself on the way home from work yesterday (knock on wood) so I haven't bothered to disconnect the battery. I guess I'll hold off on new vehicle shopping for a bit longer.

DVD

Cyburbian
New Bronco looks good, but like AG said, more money than I have.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
...I do like the Bronco too and would be interested in them. Pricing and full specs are supposed to be released next week. But the photos I've seen over the past week or so look really intriguing and reports are that it will be priced better than the Wrangler. That said, dealers already have a pretty big wait list for them and they aren't even going to be available for quite a few more months. The more recent photos look pretty good and they look a bit like the Toyota FJ Cruiser (I test drove one of those before they were discontinued and loved everything but the price and the horrible blind spots).

I will say that I'm impressed with how well Ford has kept the Bronco hidden up here as I have yet to see one on the road with all the camouflaging, unlike the Gladiators which I saw driving around for a year+ before they were officially unveiled. Maybe I just live on the wrong side of town (I live and work a few miles from the FCA HQ, while Ford is all the way on the other side of town).
1) I also see the FJ Cruiser vibe to it; I like it. Although I'm not a huge Toyota fan, that is a vehicle I could have seen myself in.
2) And this is why I love Michigan -- the camouflaged vehicles all over!

DVD

Cyburbian
I think the failing of the FJ Cruiser was not being convertible.

dw914er

Cyburbian
You can have the Gladiator. I think it's kind of ugly and Jeep could have done something much better. I want another old CJ-7 when I get some spending cash.

I want an old scrambler - the longer version of CJ-7, especially with bigger tires, looks fantastic. I like the gladiator, and my parents have a new Rubicon wrangler, but it feels a bit too tight for my needs relative to my current 4x4 Tacoma. I do want a Ram Rebel though...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I want an old scrambler - the longer version of CJ-7, especially with bigger tires, looks fantastic. I like the gladiator, and my parents have a new Rubicon wrangler, but it feels a bit too tight for my needs relative to my current 4x4 Tacoma. I do want a Ram Rebel though...

I had an '84 Scrambler for years. Half hard top, steel doors, all removable. It was so much fun to drive. A complete rust bucket, but nonetheless a totally fun vehicle. I sold it in '09. I wish I'd have held on to it now that I have money that I could restore it right. Technically the Scrambler was a CJ-8. There are some pretty incredible ones out there for sale for a pretty penny.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think the failing of the FJ Cruiser was not being convertible.

They were also extraordinarily expensive. I think the FJ looks good and have no issues with it not being a convertible (if they ever bring out a new model, you can bet it'll have a panoramic sunroof which will alleviate the convertible issue). Hell, the FJ is still super expensive. You're looking at 20k to get one with under 100k miles on it. You can get them for 13-15 all day, but they come with nearly 200 on the clock.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
They were also extraordinarily expensive. I think the FJ looks good and have no issues with it being a convertible (if they ever bring out a new model, you can bet it'll have a panoramic sunroof which will alleviate the convertible issue). Hell, the FJ is still super expensive. You're looking at 20k to get one with under 100k miles on it. You can get them for 13-15 all day, but they come with nearly 200 on the clock.

Yeah, that was my other big gripe about the FJ was that they were expensive, plus there was absolutely no wiggle room on them and it was impossible to get any sort of friends & family or employee discount, unlike with FCA products (or Ford or GM) where I can call 10 people and have 20 discount codes. The FJ Cruiser also required premium gas which was another knock against it. I do like the Toyota 4Runner and would consider one of those. Yes, the base price is more than the Wrangler or Gladiator but you get a lot more for the money on that base model than what you would get for the same money from Jeep... but it's just not as cool!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What is the most unnecessary automotive bell & whistle you've heard of? Something you'd rarely, if ever, use, or might even prefer not to have it at all. We're talking anything from soft closing doors to automatic rear view mirror adjusters.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What is the most unnecessary automotive bell & whistle you've heard of? Something you'd rarely, if ever, use, or might even prefer not to have it at all. We're talking anything from soft closing doors to automatic rear view mirror adjusters.
Heated Steering Wheel -

Just wear gloves

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
low tire pressure sensors.

There was already a very clear indicator - the tire would look flat or nearly flat.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Anything touchscreen. Any screen at all that I can't turn completely off.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Heated Steering Wheel -

Just wear gloves

Beat me to it. This would be my pick as well.

#2 on the list for me would be an analog clock. I see them in modern cars more frequently that you'd think. I know it doesn't take much to read a clock, but when you're driving a car it has got to be soooo much easier and quicker (and safer) to read a digital display somewhere on the dash rather than an analog clock that the automakers seem to like to put there because it looks fancy.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Both of my Chrysler T&C minivans (2008 and 2016) have the 'oh so classy' analog clock on the center of the dash console directly below the digital clock in the media control center.

bruh.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Both of my Chrysler T&C minivans (2008 and 2016) that the 'oh so classy' analog clock on the center of the dash console directly below the digital clock in the media control center.

bruh.

Yeah, I meant to add that they are almost always placed pretty much adjacent to the digital clocks. Those dashboards must have been designed by the Department of Redundancy Department.

estromberg

Cyburbian

Push button starting.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I sold my 1997 Toyota Camry since we got a new (to us) minivan. I'd heard that the used car market is crazy hot right now . . . but my Camry was sold within one hour of posting it on Craigslist! And it had over 300k miles on it! It sold right at what KBB's estimate was, but $600 over Edmunds' estimate. In hindsight I could have maybe asked for more but I'm glad it was done so quickly and easily.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I sold my 1997 Toyota Camry since we got a new (to us) minivan. I'd heard that the used car market is crazy hot right now . . . but my Camry was sold within one hour of posting it on Craigslist! And it had over 300k miles on it! It sold right at what KBB's estimate was, but $600 over Edmunds' estimate. In hindsight I could have maybe asked for more but I'm glad it was done so quickly and easily.

I have been looking for a used car for my daughter.. used car market is brutal.

Off-topic.. congrats on hiring our former intern. good guy.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I took my daily driver to the dealership recently for a warranty issue and they asked if I was ready to trade it in. Apparently, they would give me more than what I paid for it two years ago.

I didn't considered it because it's great and still under warranty; why would I want to give that up and then have to overpay on something to replace it?!

The Terminator

Cyburbian
I currently daily a 1999 Camry CE Canada Spec with a 5 Speed Manual. I bought it in Montreal pre-pandemic and legally imported it into the USA via Champlain, NY Port of Entry. I bothered going through all this (actually quite easy if you have all the proper paperwork) precisley because the used car market is so crazy right now. I had wanted to sell the Camry in Canada and find a 1992-99 Buick Lesabre with a 3800 to be my new NYC DD, but decided against it when I saw what they were going for (2500+ US) vs. what my Camry was worth (around 2k Canadian). Im glad I did, because I now have the novelty of a metric speedometer and daytime running lights + the car will always be a reminder of my time in Montreal. Also, Stick Camry's are rare.

Did you purchase your 97 new? and was it V6 or the 4cyl? The 5sFe inline 4 in those cars are absolutely BULLETPROOF, with regular maintenance, they will run to 500k easily. Mine has low miles too (112k, or 180k in kilometers as displayed on the odo) and drives like new, I do all my own fluid changes at 5000 kilometre intervals and I intend to keep it as my long term DD and look for another Volvo 240 as a project car. My Camry has a tow hitch too, for when the day comes that I am ready to bring another 240 home :p

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I took my daily driver to the dealership recently for a warranty issue and they asked if I was ready to trade it in. Apparently, they would give me more than what I paid for it two years ago.

I didn't considered it because it's great and still under warranty; why would I want to give that up and then have to overpay on something to replace it?!
After reading @The Terminator 's post and appreciating the vintage vehicles that some members of this group gravitate to, I feel like I should clarify that, while my DD is still under warranty, I did not buy it new -- it's 10 years old and CPO -- although no one believes me on the age when I admit that. And I'm stoked at the idea that it's worth more now than it was 20k miles ago.

ALSO vehicle related, the '65 C-10 was having some issues and my husband was using it sparingly as he tried to figure it out. This past weekend, we identified that the problem only happened when making a left-hand turn and he fixed a loose wire; now all is well! (And I'll tell you -- it's harder than you'd think to plan routes for right-turns only. I don't know if I would survive the areas in NJ where I'm told they don't allow left turns!) ;o)

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian

I go to church with a guy that took this as opportunity to get rid of a 3 year old diesel dodge 1500. He sold his camper and didn't need the diesel anymore. It had 60K and he got within $50 of what he paid for it with taxes and other fees. He already had a couple of other trucks.

I am trying to find a truck to buy; I am looking for something 5-7 years old with less than 100K miles. Everything is way outside of what I am will to pay. I'll wait the market out, eventually the prices will come down.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
After the dealership having my vehicle for 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks) I finally found out today I'm getting a new engine. Mine blew up and even though it's still under warranty there was also a class action lawsuit settlement which delays everything because they now have so many steps and documentation that has to be done. I've been in a loaner but Thursday I get a rental which will be similar to my car. But it could be up to 3 weeks until they receive the new motor. Once I have it back I'm selling it, like others here have said the used car market is strong. I should pocket between 7-8K after I pay off what I still owe. I bought it used to begin with. I don't normally consider new vehicles but with interest rates so low I may pull the trigger on something new.

• Wow
Reactions: Dan

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I currently daily a 1999 Camry CE Canada Spec with a 5 Speed Manual. I bought it in Montreal pre-pandemic and legally imported it into the USA via Champlain, NY Port of Entry. I bothered going through all this (actually quite easy if you have all the proper paperwork) precisley because the used car market is so crazy right now. I had wanted to sell the Camry in Canada and find a 1992-99 Buick Lesabre with a 3800 to be my new NYC DD, but decided against it when I saw what they were going for (2500+ US) vs. what my Camry was worth (around 2k Canadian). Im glad I did, because I now have the novelty of a metric speedometer and daytime running lights + the car will always be a reminder of my time in Montreal. Also, Stick Camry's are rare.

Did you purchase your 97 new? and was it V6 or the 4cyl? The 5sFe inline 4 in those cars are absolutely BULLETPROOF, with regular maintenance, they will run to 500k easily. Mine has low miles too (112k, or 180k in kilometers as displayed on the odo) and drives like new, I do all my own fluid changes at 5000 kilometre intervals and I intend to keep it as my long term DD and look for another Volvo 240 as a project car. My Camry has a tow hitch too, for when the day comes that I am ready to bring another 240 home :p
I was the second owner - I bought it at around 170k miles in 2010 from the first owner, who was a dentist and took very good care of it. :) It was a 4 cylinder, LE, automatic. It had a veeeeeerrrrrryyyy slow oil leak for years but I'd just keep an eye on it and have the mechanic check it out every few oil changes. But it ran (runs) great. I sold it to a younger guy who told my husband that the old Camrys are kind of sought after because they are so hardy and can be maintained by your average mechanically inclined person. I always thought my Camry was pretty boring, being a gray LE automatic family sedan, with a peeling clear coat that I amateurly tried to fix. But he was so excited, he commented that he does deliveries for his brother sometimes and wouldn't want to put the roof sign on because it might mess up the car. I'm glad it went to someone who is excited to have it and I hope it lasts a long time for him. I would have kept it until it died but we needed a vehicle that could seat all six of us.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What is the most unnecessary automotive bell & whistle you've heard of?
This. The bird spotting app that's part of the Subaru infotainment system.

It's in my car. It doesn't work.

Or I could say "Power windows, g'damnit! It's just another thing to break down. And air conditioning. It'll wear out if you use it too much. And that power steering! Because of power steering, there's now all these women drivers! They made cars better back then! Built them to last! You could work on them! You didn't need some guy from the Signal Corps to do a tuneup! Those were good times back then. The I-Talians knew their place."

1930s_car.jpg

ww1_vet.png

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Heated Steering Wheel -

Just wear gloves
Nope, it's the best! I wouldn't choose a vehicle just for the heated steering wheel but it's definitely a perk!

My favorite unnecessary bell/ whistle is the rain sensing wipers. It sounds so ridiculous but I never have to worry about the speed of the wipers. Totally unnecessary but I love it!

*I feel like I should also list -- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! Seriously, who needs it!?? :smirk:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'd put satellite radio up there on the unnecessary options on a car but one that I wouldn't go without any more. I love the satellite radio and cannot recall the last time I used terrestrial radio in the car (or at home).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
After going over this thread, I feel like my daily, a 2021 Subaru Legacy, isn’t a real planner’s ride, except that it’s a Subaru, and it’s a sedan.

Otherwise, it’s new. (Ownership/lease costs for new cars are less than what I’ve experienced with new cars.). It’s a higher (but not highest) trim level. (Leather, sunroof, nav, heated steering wheel and rear seats, driver recognition, etc. The seats are also MUCH more supportive and comfortable than in the next trim level down.). Thing is, it’s not any more expensive than my last car, because I had equity in my old lease. Supply was limited, and there’s no guarantee of what would be available later this year. Also, it’s our road trip car, because my wife has a much longer daily commute than me. (She drives a 2021 Crosstrek.)

From an enthusiast standpoint, the auto magazine reviews are “meh” about the Legacy. Conservative styling, normally aspirated engine, 0-60 in 8 seconds, CVT, and it’s not made by Honda or BMW. AWD for about the same cost as equivalent FWD from other brands? Not a factor. The videos on YouTube are mostly positive, though. I like it, too. Enough to do the detail spray thing every couple of days.

There’s part of me that would like a “messing around” car, like a Radwood-worthy stock ‘90s compact, a kei car, or some weird but cheap pre-1996 JDM sedan or French hot hatch. Birth year cars have been out of my price range for the past several years, and they’re essentially rolling death traps with shitty AM radios. It’s harder finding a malaise-era sedan in decent shape. A cheap 15+ year old Mercedes would ultimately bankrupt me, after I inevitably pay thousands to Adolf or Gunther or Klaus to fix some esoteric problem with the hydraulic system.

In other news, I’m seeing cars with Ontario and Québec plates around town again. How are Canadians able to drive to the States now, while Canada is still closed off to Americans?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In other news, I’m seeing cars with Ontario and Québec plates around town again. How are Canadians able to drive to the States now, while Canada is still closed off to Americans?
Yeah, I recently noticed Ontario plates popping up once again as well. What's up with that?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
So I got my rental today from the dealership. A Jeep Compass. Wow. What an utter piece of shit. I'll tolerate it for a while but if it is indeed 3 weeks until my car is repaired I will be asking for something else.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So, I love the idea of getting an electric vehicle, but I fear the idea of long road trips in them. There is a level of convenience knowing that there are multiple gas stations in every community that allows you to fill up and get back on the road without significant delay. In looking at the https://www.plugshare.com/ (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You) website, it shows were all these stations are, but how long does it take to charge with these locations. More so, the hotels that we have stayed at in the past do not seem to have charging stations.

What are your thoughts on long road trips with electric vehicles? More so, how long do you think it will be before we see a real noticeable decline in gas stations?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Not me. I seriously love rolling through the gears.
Oh, you and me both! I much prefer a standard transmission and have purchased over a dozen throughout my driving career. I also love the fact that some people can't drive my vehicles.

Oh, you want to borrow my truck? It's a stick. Aww, too bad; you don't know how to drive it...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Oh, you and me both! I much prefer a standard transmission and have purchased over a dozen throughout my driving career. I also love the fact that some people can't drive my vehicles.

Oh, you want to borrow my truck? It's a stick. Aww, too bad; you don't know how to drive it...
Or...
They DO know how to drive a stick, but then I worry they don't drive a stick to my standards and they are going to ruin my transmission...:grimace:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Or...
They DO know how to drive a stick, but then I worry they don't drive a stick to my standards and they are going to ruin my transmission...:grimace:
The trick, you see, is to get your RPM's and speed up high enough first before you shift. So ride first gear until the tach redlines at 7000, and by then you'll probably be going like 35mph or so and can quickly pop it into 4th gear and viola! You only had to shift one time, so think of all the wear and tear that saves on your gearbox. Can I borrow your car?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Or...
Yup. If I love you A LOT, I MAY let you drive my vehicle with me in it as an interview to determine if you really know how to drive it or if you think you understand the general idea because you drove a stick once for about 3 miles when you were 22 years old...

The trick, you see, is to get your RPM's and speed up high enough first before you shift. So ride first gear until the tach redlines at 7000, and by then you'll probably be going like 35mph or so and can quickly pop it into 4th gear and viola! You only had to shift one time, so think of all the wear and tear that saves on your gearbox. Can I borrow your car?
My husband was in the truck the other day when I skipped ONE gear on purpose and I got a suspicious side glance from him. Since I've driven standards all my life, I distinctly remember reading the manual for my first new car (a 1996 Chevy Beretta, thank you) and it said I could skip one gear at a time.

(Does that make me a big dork to admit I read the owner's manual for a new car? Haha)

Planit

Cyburbian
Yup. If I love you A LOT, I MAY let you drive my vehicle with me in it as an interview to determine if you really know how to drive it or if you think you understand the general idea because you drove a stick once for about 3 miles...

My husband was in the truck the other day when I skipped ONE gear on purpose and I got a suspicious side glance from him. Since I've driven standards all my life, I distinctly remember reading the manual for my first new car (a 1996 Chevy Beretta, thank you) and it said I could skip one gear at a time.

(Does that make me a big dork to admit I read the owner's manual for a new car? Haha)

Many times on the interstate for example, I'll jump from 4th to 6th gear as I accelerate on the ramp. No biggee.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So I got my rental today from the dealership. A Jeep Compass. Wow. What an utter piece of shit. I'll tolerate it for a while but if it is indeed 3 weeks until my car is repaired I will be asking for something else.

I remember being given a rental from the insurance company after my vehicle got hit ~15 years ago. I cannot remember exactly what kind of car it was (I want to say a Hyundai or Kia) and probably less than a year old but absolutely awful in about every regard. I drove it about 3 miles from the rental agency and turned around and took it right back because it was just so awful. I thought I was going to have to make up some excuse like it smelled like smoke or something but the kid at Enterprise didn't even bat an eye. He took the car back and gave me a Chrysler T&C instead.

When my wife's car was in the body shop recently after a minor accident they gave me a rental: a brand new VW Atlas. It road sooooooo smooth (especially compared to a 9-year-old Chevy Traverse) and had every imaginable feature. It also had plenty of power and acceleration and I kept thinking to myself, "I could get used to one of these" until I would look out at in the driveway and be reminded that it might have the most boring exterior styling of any current comparable SUV/Crossover.

I'll also add that I had actually never even heard of the VW Atlas until the guy at the rental place handed me the keys.

Car talk? Had to purchase a new vehicle last week as I totaled mine and the car I hit. Stop sign was obscured by a tree at times. Don't know really what happened as I have no memory 20 minutes before to several hours after.

Ouch! Hopefully everybody is all good now!

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I remember being given a rental from the insurance company after my vehicle got hit ~15 years ago. I cannot remember exactly what kind of car it was (I want to say a Hyundai or Kia) and probably less than a year old but absolutely awful in about every regard. I drove it about 3 miles from the rental agency and turned around and took it right back because it was just so awful. I thought I was going to have to make up some excuse like it smelled like smoke or something but the kid at Enterprise didn't even bat an eye. He took the car back and gave me a Chrysler T&C instead.

I had a rental back in the day and it was a Dodge Neon -- SO AWFUL! I was like you and I figured I could tolerate it while my car got repaired until I walked out to it one day and opened the door... and it was also closed at the same time. The door panel had completely separated from the door itself and I actually couldn't get in!

Once I climbed in from the passenger side, I promptly returned it to the rental place and got a replacement.

dw914er

Cyburbian
So, I love the idea of getting an electric vehicle, but I fear the idea of long road trips in them. There is a level of convenience knowing that there are multiple gas stations in every community that allows you to fill up and get back on the road without significant delay. In looking at the https://www.plugshare.com/ (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You) website, it shows were all these stations are, but how long does it take to charge with these locations. More so, the hotels that we have stayed at in the past do not seem to have charging stations.

What are your thoughts on long road trips with electric vehicles? More so, how long do you think it will be before we see a real noticeable decline in gas stations?

Don't you have two cars? Have one be the road trip car and the electric one be the daily driver. Range anxiety is certainly still an issue, and outside of Tesla, the charging network needs improvement, but the fear is usually based on hypothetical scenarios that constitute a limited occurrence and easily solvable anyways.

I do foresee a decline in gas stations starting to happen as more electric cars hit the streets. All car segments are starting to see new models coming out this year, so the trend will go more towards expanding the electric charging network. Several cities in California have now passed moratoriums on new gas stations.

estromberg

Cyburbian

When my wife's car was in the body shop recently after a minor accident they gave me a rental: a brand new VW Atlas. It road sooooooo smooth (especially compared to a 9-year-old Chevy Traverse) and had every imaginable feature. It also had plenty of power and acceleration and I kept thinking to myself, "I could get used to one of these" until I would look out at in the driveway and be reminded that it might have the most boring exterior styling of any current comparable SUV/Crossover.

I'll also add that I had actually never even heard of the VW Atlas until the guy at the rental place handed me the keys.

Ouch! Hopefully everybody is all good now!
My wife loves the VW Atlas. I'm ok with it, but I wish it would be released with a diesel. Too bad the days of VW diesels in the US are over. I love my Tdi JSW.