• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Vehicles / bikes 🏍 Car Talk

The Terminator

Cyburbian
In 1996 when I went to Disney World with my parents and 1 year old sister, Alamo rented us a new '96 Mazda Millennia, it was alright at the time but few have survived.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So I got my rental today from the dealership. A Jeep Compass. Wow. What an utter piece of shit. I'll tolerate it for a while but if it is indeed 3 weeks until my car is repaired I will be asking for something else.
I got a Jeep Liberty as a loaner about 14 or 15 years ago, when my Subaru Forester was in the shop for a few days. The steering felt about the same as a Dodge pickup from the 1980s. The suspension felt like a Dodge truck from the 1980s. I didn't see the appeal at all.

When my wife rents cars or gets loaners, she always ends up with some fantastic upgrade. Reserve a mid-size, mid-end sedan, and "Whoops! We're all out. How about a Audi S7 at no extra charge?" When I get a rental, it's usually "meh" or worse. "Meh" is a Nissan Altima. "Worse" includes a Chrysler PT Cruiser ("It's the last car on the lot", they said, despite reservations for a mid-sized sedan, before giving Toyota Avalons and Ford Tauruses to the folks in line behind me), a purple Mitsubishi Eclipse (for a drive that would take me through rural North Carolina; again the "last car on the lot" when I reserved a mid-sized sedan), a Dodge Caliber (how any company manufactured a car like this after 2005, much less 1990, is a mystery to me), a couple of Chevrolet Malibus in the early 2000s, a big-ass white panel van when I asked for a compact car ...

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Worst ever was a family vacation 30 years ago when we got an Eagle Summit:
1626783323039.png

This was for a drive from Denver-Vail and we hit a rock that fell off a roadcut right in front of us, leading us to have to disgorge the entire contents of the vehicle on the roadside to get at the spare, which we then drove on over Loveland Pass.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I don't normally consider new vehicles but with interest rates so low I may pull the trigger on something new.
I generally do by new. I bought my Fiat 7 years ago, paid it off in 4, haven't had a car payment on my car since, and it still feels relatively "new" to me.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I got a Jeep Liberty as a loaner about 14 or 15 years ago, when my Subaru Forester was in the shop for a few days. The steering felt about the same as a Dodge pickup from the 1980s. The suspension felt like a Dodge truck from the 1980s. I didn't see the appeal at all.

When my wife rents cars or gets loaners, she always ends up with some fantastic upgrade. Reserve a mid-size, mid-end sedan, and "Whoops! We're all out. How about a Audi S7 at no extra charge?" When I get a rental, it's usually "meh" or worse. "Meh" is a Nissan Altima. "Worse" includes a Chrysler PT Cruiser ("It's the last car on the lot", they said, despite reservations for a mid-sized sedan, before giving Toyota Avalons and Ford Tauruses to the folks in line behind me), a purple Mitsubishi Eclipse (for a drive that would take me through rural North Carolina; again the "last car on the lot" when I reserved a mid-sized sedan), a Dodge Caliber (how any company manufactured a car like this after 2005, much less 1990, is a mystery to me), a couple of Chevrolet Malibus in the early 2000s, a big-ass white panel van when I asked for a compact car ...

Your comments on the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Caliber remind me how crappy so many Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products over the past 10-15 years have been.

Yes, the Wrangler is tried and true, the Grand Cherokee is pretty nice, and people seem to love the Ram (though (I'd place it behind the Chevy/GMC and Ford trucks in terms of styling), the Chrysler 300 isn't totally awful, and the T&C (now the Pacifica I believe?) is a nice alternative to a crossover or SUV but the rest of their lineup is really sort of blah., especially stuff at the lower end.

None of the Detroit 3 have really tried to produce a desirable small economy car or even a family sedan over the past couple decades, but Dodge's efforts seem especially bad. It's no wonder that Toyota and Honda absolutely own that segment of the market these days (with Kia and Hyundai making big strides).

Reactions: Dan

Doohickie

Cyburbian
None of the Detroit 3 have really tried to produce a desirable small economy car or even a family sedan over the past couple decades
I read an article recently that said Ford could lose all of its non-F150 business tomorrow and still be a profitable venture. They were making so little on sedans that it really didn't make sense to continue building them. This is whey they are willing to offer the Maverick compact electric pickup at less than $20k: They're establishing that market which should be quite lucrative in the not-too-distant future and want the Maverick and F150 Lightning to dominate the electric PU market in the same way the current F150 does.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read an article recently that said Ford could lose all of its non-F150 business tomorrow and still be a profitable venture. They were making so little on sedans that it really didn't make sense to continue building them. This is whey they are willing to offer the Maverick compact electric pickup at less than $20k: They're establishing that market which should be quite lucrative in the not-too-distant future and want the Maverick and F150 Lightning to dominate the electric PU market in the same way the current F150 does.
My husband was commenting on all the trucks in the parking lot at a local restaurant we like. He noticed many of them were F150s and said he'd never buy a Ford. I told him the F150 would be the only Ford I'd consider buying, but not to worry because I generally dislike trucks.

I will likely stick with Subaru. I bought a new 2014 Outback and now it's 7 years old and still drives like a champ. I've only ever had to do oil changes, brakes, and new tires on it until recently when the exhaust heat shield started rattling but the shop fixed it for free when I had my oil changed. I'm going to drive it until it becomes unreliable or too much to maintain.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The saga of my engine repair continues . . . . I called the rental car company on Monday to ask (politely) for a different vehicle as the one they gave me (Jeep Compass) is a complete POS as I posted earlier. The guy said he could do something and told me he'd call me back that afternoon. He never did. Today I got a call from the dealer with an update. Which is a non-update as they have no ETA from the manufacturer as to when the new engine might arrive. So I called the rental place to ask about the replacement since it's going to be a while. I was informed that they don't have any vehicles which are comparable to mine and that my best bet was to call on Monday at 8am to see what came in over the weekend. I'm like "can't you look in the computer and see what's coming in?" but apparently that's not a thing. I've been nice the whole time because it's not the service advisors fault for the delays and the rental car guy only has what he has but I'm still annoyed.

My car has now been at the dealer for 5 weeks. I had a loaner and now a rental that are nowhere comparable to my vehicle and I have two trips coming up. There is a reason I have the size vehicle I do. I'd drive anything for a week or so but I have no idea when I might get my car back. The service advisor told me she's dealing with one lady whose car has been there since April and is still waiting for an engine! If I don't have any sort of real update by Friday I'm contacting the manufacturer and requesting that they make my car payment. It's been 5 weeks since I've had mine and it's not like I'm driving a similar vehicle. None of this is my fault as there was a settled class action lawsuit about these engines and the defect was observed in my vehicle.

dw914er

Cyburbian
The saga of my engine repair continues . . . . I called the rental car company on Monday to ask (politely) for a different vehicle as the one they gave me (Jeep Compass) is a complete POS as I posted earlier. The guy said he could do something and told me he'd call me back that afternoon. He never did. Today I got a call from the dealer with an update. Which is a non-update as they have no ETA from the manufacturer as to when the new engine might arrive. So I called the rental place to ask about the replacement since it's going to be a while. I was informed that they don't have any vehicles which are comparable to mine and that my best bet was to call on Monday at 8am to see what came in over the weekend. I'm like "can't you look in the computer and see what's coming in?" but apparently that's not a thing. I've been nice the whole time because it's not the service advisors fault for the delays and the rental car guy only has what he has but I'm still annoyed.

My car has now been at the dealer for 5 weeks. I had a loaner and now a rental that are nowhere comparable to my vehicle and I have two trips coming up. There is a reason I have the size vehicle I do. I'd drive anything for a week or so but I have no idea when I might get my car back. The service advisor told me she's dealing with one lady whose car has been there since April and is still waiting for an engine! If I don't have any sort of real update by Friday I'm contacting the manufacturer and requesting that they make my car payment. It's been 5 weeks since I've had mine and it's not like I'm driving a similar vehicle. None of this is my fault as there was a settled class action lawsuit about these engines and the defect was observed in my vehicle.

How new is the car? I can totally understand your frustration - you don't have the car you paid for, and the rental doesn't meet your needs either.

dw914er

Cyburbian
... people seem to love the Ram (though (I'd place it behind the Chevy/GMC and Ford trucks in terms of styling) ...

You might need your eyes checked on the Chevy - the exterior isn't great, and the interior is a solid 3rd behind Ram and Ford. As someone that had liked Chevy and GMC trucks in the past, I wouldn't consider them if I needed a fullsize.

The big 3 have always missed the mark for smaller cars. That said, I do have a Charger and I like it a lot.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I had an Isuzu Rodeo that had the engine go. I believe it very possible a local oil change facility neglected to refill the engine oil, but had no way to prove it, so swallowed hard and looked for a new engine. I found a place that could install an Isuzu re-built engine for a reasonable price. Except that they were out of stock and the re-built would have to come from Japan, a delay of several weeks. There wasn't much I could do about it and so I waited.

The engine arrived on a slow boat about 7 weeks later. Then I got a call from the repair shop, just as I was letting myself get excited about getting my vehicle back. Turns out, the re-built motor blew while they were test driving it. Took another two weeks to get a replacement re-built and install it. I was pretty happy with the work, but about four weeks after I brought it back home, a drunken driver totaled it while it was parked on the street outside my house. I'm pretty sure the re-built had less than 500 miles, and the drunken driver was uninsured.

I've got a judgment against the guy for $11k and pre-and post-judgment interest. But I'll never see a penny, I'm sure.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
How new is the car? I can totally understand your frustration - you don't have the car you paid for, and the rental doesn't meet your needs either.
It's a 2016. I bought it in 2018. The payments are low but still, this is just so aggravating. And like you said, the rental doesn't meet my needs. First world problems I know, but this really could impact my trips.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You might need your eyes checked on the Chevy - the exterior isn't great, and the interior is a solid 3rd behind Ram and Ford. As someone that had liked Chevy and GMC trucks in the past, I wouldn't consider them if I needed a fullsize.

lol I've never been a fan of the exterior styling of the Ram and think Chevy has the best styling!

FWIW, between Chevy, Ford, and Ram, the Ram always seems to have the best ride comfort by a longshot while Chevy always had the worst (aka the most "trucklike" ride), and Ford has always been solidly in the middle. Chevy used to always have the worst interiors of the bunch but a coworker got a brand new Sierra right before everything shutdown last year and the couple of times he drove to lunch, I was really impressed. That was probably the first time I've ridden in a Chevy/GMC truck that wasn't a Cadillac or top-of-the-line Yukon in years and they seemed to have improved quite a bit.

IMO, the F150 seems to be right in the middle in terms of exterior styling, interior finish, options, etc.

I don't have a full size truck and don't have a desire to get a full size truck so don't really have a dog in this fight but it's always fun to go on auto forums and see people argue over and over about which manufacturer makes the best truck. It always feels like it boils down to I like this brand because that's what dad drove so that's what I'll always drive and I'll be damned if I ever buy one from XXXX. :r:

FWIW, if I were to buy a truck, I do like the new Rangers and that seems like a good size for my needs (or lack thereof) and I love the current Tacomas. But I'd still rather have a Gladiator but if I get one, I won't call it a truck. :rofl:

dw914er

Cyburbian
FWIW, between Chevy, Ford, and Ram, the Ram always seems to have the best ride comfort by a longshot while Chevy always had the worst (aka the most "trucklike" ride), and Ford has always been solidly in the middle. Chevy used to always have the worst interiors of the bunch but a coworker got a brand new Sierra right before everything shutdown last year and the couple of times he drove to lunch, I was really impressed. That was probably the first time I've ridden in a Chevy/GMC truck that wasn't a Cadillac or top-of-the-line Yukon in years and they seemed to have improved quite a bit.

I don't have a full size truck and don't have a desire to get a full size truck so don't really have a dog in this fight but it's always fun to go on auto forums and see people argue over and over about which manufacturer makes the best truck. It always feels like it boils down to I like this brand because that's what dad drove so that's what I'll always drive and I'll be damned if I ever buy one from XXXX. :r:
Ram has a coil spring rear which gives it the ride advantage over the leaf springs of the other two. The current Chevy and the face-lifted prior generation designs just seemed awkward to me, though the new GMC Yukon interior looks a lot than the trucks (the trucks interiors remind me of Russian dolls with the different elements and materials coming out).

Trucks do have crazy brand loyalty, where logical reasoning plays a very limited role on what truck someone will buy. Luckily, the majority of the full size trucks are all very capable and comfortable, so none are really that crappy.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
It's a 2016. I bought it in 2018. The payments are low but still, this is just so aggravating. And like you said, the rental doesn't meet my needs. First world problems I know, but this really could impact my trips.
Did you ever say what make and model it is?