• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Career prospects in planning

adamrust

I am a mid career journalist contemplating a switch to planning. I am most interested in community and economic development, but I also enjoy aspects of public policy. I perceive that the anti-sprawl, preservationist leanings that attract me to this field are well shared by the current practitioners out there. I have applied to one graduate program that offers an emphasis on policy and also a joint degree with the business school.

My question concerns the job prospects for this field. Reading this list, I sense that planners are not supported in many states with good pay or job security. I have a fiancee that wants to live on the East Coast, preferably near North Carolina.
Is this a field that will allow me to support a family while I work through its introductory years?

hmmm, NC, joint MRP-MBA--Chapel Hill?? If you get one or both of these degrees from UNC, you will have lots of contacts which will most likely lead to internships and eventual job possiblities. It is a great place with lots of alumni support. Plus, the program is very well respected all over the country.

You did not say if you are looking for public- or private-sector planning work. Of course, the MBA will up your salary range considerably, but even plain old MRP positions are fairly well-paid, from public-sector planners to real estate developer-types. Non-profit work may be somewhat lower, depending on the organization's capacity. Public-sector planners have good job security, as do most public-sector employees.

Do what you want and the money will follow.

i'm mid-life contemplating lawschool.the schol offers JD/MRPare the two compatable? will i get a job?