• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cathedral Square, Christchurch, New Zealand

JNL

Cyburbian
I visited Christchurch in late December and took these photos in Cathedral Square. It's a bit of a local meeting place (especially by that ugly cone thing in the first pic) and it definitely has it's own character.

801DCP_0722-med.jpg
801DCP_0725-med.jpg
Fish and chips - the classic New Zealand takeaway (=takeout?) food. Note Starbucks has spread its evil roots here (sorry Starbucks fans).

801DCP_0729-med.jpg
This photo shows the cathedral the square is named after.

801DCP_0732-med.jpg
801DCP_0733-med.jpg
801DCP_0737-med.jpg
These people are playing or watching a game of chess. Police car in background.

801DCP_0739-med.jpg
801DCP_0740-med.jpg
801DCP_0742-med.jpg
801DCP_0743-med.jpg
801DCP_0745-med.jpg
Free shuttle bus that loops around the city

801DCP_0746-med.jpg
I took these last two photos while on a pedestrian overbridge above Colombo St.

801DCP_0747-med.jpg

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
A bit more about Christchurch...

Longitude: 172° 37 Mins, 13 Secs East.
East Coast, South Island, New Zealand
Area: Christchurch City: 45,240 Hectares (=175 square miles)

Climate
Temperature:
Mean Daily Maximum: Jan 21°C, July 10°C
Mean Temperature: 11.6°C
Mean Daily Minimum: Jan 12°C, July 1°C
Mean Annual Maximum: 32°C
Mean Annual Minimum: -4°C

"Internationally famed as ‘The Garden City’, Christchurch’s well-established expansive parks and public gardens owe much to the planning and foresight of the city’s founding fathers.

In 1996, Christchurch was acknowledged as the outstanding garden city from 620 international entries and in 1997, was judged Overall Winner of Major Cities in the Nations in Bloom International Competition to become ‘Garden City of the World’

Maori oral history suggests that people first inhabited the Canterbury area about a thousand years ago.

The first European landed in Canterbury in 1815, 45 years after Captain James Cook sighted what he named "Banks Island", later found to be a peninsula.

In 1840 the first Europeans settled on the plains and whaling ships were operating out of Lyttelton by 1850.

During 1850-1851 the first organised groups of English settlers, the founders of Christchurch, arrived on the 'first four ships' into Lyttelton Harbour.

Christchurch became a city by Royal Charter on July 31, 1856, making it officially the oldest established city in New Zealand.

Canterbury's economy was built on primary products and Canterbury has long been recognised as living "off the sheep's back". Although its economic beginnings were in refrigerated sheep and dairy meats and in other dairy products, Canterbury now has a diversified regional economy with growth across a range of "new economy" sectors."

from www.christchurch.org.nz

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Are you sure that's not some German city. ;-)

Nice clean buses, spotless streets and sidewalks, enormous public squares....It screams Europe to me.

Very nice pics. must visit the another side of the planet one of these days.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Thanks for the pictures. Visiting the South Island of New Zealand is a long-time dream of mine. Maybe one day.

JNL

Cyburbian
Population of Christchurch city is about 316,000.

Yes indeed Rumpy, Wellington is built on a fault line.

You can see it in this photo:

801wellington_fault.jpg

I have gone over the fault line in red. Wellington city (where I live) is circled in green (popn about 165,000) and Hutt city (where I work) in blue (popn about 95,000).

801wellington_fault1.jpg

For more info on earthquakes in NZ check this thread:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8250

Last edited:

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I remembered some show I saw, probally on discovery, travel, or the history channel, that was talking about the destruction that would occur if an earthquake hit that city. I think they were also retrofitting the parliment building there in case of a massive earthquake.

BKM

Cyburbian
The Municipality of Hutt: That even sounds like a Hobbit metropolis :)

(Sorry, I know you guys are probably tired of LOTR jokes).

JNL

Cyburbian
No I like LOTR jokes :)

There is Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt, and then the councils were joined to form 'Hutt City', but the locals just call the area 'the Hutt'. I don't know where the name 'Hutt' comes from though...

And there was quite a bit of LOTR filming done in 'the Hutt'

biscuit

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Are you sure that's not some German city. ;-)

Nice clean buses, spotless streets and sidewalks, enormous public squares....It screams Europe to me.

I was thinking almost the same thing. Except for the church architecture, which reminds me of old Scotch Presbyterian, the square looks like it's straight out of Vienna or in some Swiss city.

BKM

Cyburbian
The one skyscraper with the modernist box design in the lower floors and the weird neoclassical pediment-thingies at the top-really, really strange :)

You know, your town needs to elect as mayor someone with a name like James Able or something. Then he could be "Jabba the Hutt"

(I am soooo bad!)

JNL

Cyburbian
BKM said:
The one skyscraper with the modernist box design in the lower floors

Which one?

Jabba the Hutt... ha ha :p

And, I am definitely not a Hutt chick! (sorry Hutt chicks) That would mean I would be into heavy metal, black jeans, Doc boots, drinking like a fish, and most likely a petrol head . Fortunately I grew up in a nicer area (ooh I'm a snob!) and the only thing I have in common is the petrol-head part :-}

I never thought about the Hutt thing until now, but I guess it is kinda weird... I get to say "I'm off to work in the Hutt"

BKM

Cyburbian
The fourth picture from the top-the really weird mid-rise behind the Victorian building.

O/T: I like heavy metal, myself, and I am still a terrible snob :) (BUT! (This is a big but) I like EUROPEAN heavy metal, which means I am probably damned but am definitely not into big hair and cheesy MTV videos from 1985 :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Ohhhh, EUROPEAN heavy metal, well that's ok then...

The 5th picture from the top? ;)

Yeah that is very weird, not sure what's up with that!

biscuit

Cyburbian
JNL said:
And, I am definitely not a Hutt chick! (sorry Hutt chicks) That would mean I would be into heavy metal, black jeans, Doc boots, drinking like a fish, and most likely a petrol head . Fortunately I grew up in a nicer area (ooh I'm a snob!) and the only thing I have in common is the petrol-head part :-}

Petrol Head?

The first thing that popped into my mind was someone who sniffed gas (petrol) fumes. Not that I'd condemn what may be a very popular Kiwi pastime. ;-)

JNL

Cyburbian
donk said:
They have chess hooligans who need to be watched in NZ?

Yes, police are cracking down on this at the moment, in response to an outbreak of antisocial behaviour by chess-playing hooligans. And then there's the rabble-rousing Monopoly players - major problems there!! I take it you have different crime issues in your part of the world? ;)