• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

CDBG environmental reviews

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm performing some reviews for CDBG stuff. Using HEROS like I should. My question is specifically about Contaminated Sites. I'm not really worried about any of the project sites being contaminated but as the Responsible Entity I still have to perform due diligence. Every project involves rehab of existing developed public housing or group homes. What do you use to justify your finding that no further analysis is necessary? There is a ton of stuff out there and I don't want to get into the weeds if I don't have to. Thanks for any suggestions.

kjel

Super Moderator
I'm performing some reviews for CDBG stuff. Using HEROS like I should. My question is specifically about Contaminated Sites. I'm not really worried about any of the project sites being contaminated but as the Responsible Entity I still have to perform due diligence. Every project involves rehab of existing developed public housing or group homes. What do you use to justify your finding that no further analysis is necessary? There is a ton of stuff out there and I don't want to get into the weeds if I don't have to. Thanks for any suggestions.
I know you probably figured this out long ago. Now that I am back in the public sector administering a county HOME program this is part of my job. Clearly my predecessor didn't have much of a clue and when I administered CDBG for an entitlement community we had a consultant and didn't use HEROES.

The fine folks at Business Oregon have done an excellent job putting a CDBG manual together with an awesome Environmental Review process in Chapter 3 with updated checklists, flowcharts, and links that work. Some things are Oregon specific though. Your state may have a variety of complementary websites and tools you can use as well for documentation purposes. http://www.orinfrastructure.org/Infrastructure-Programs/CDBG/Handbooks/#