• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

CDBG funds for conferences

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Anybody ever used CDBG funds to attend the APA Conference? Obviously not directly CDBG but certainly APA involves community development and planning. Anybody ever had a definitive ruling if that is an allowable cost?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Never a formal ruling, but I have.

State of Texas: used CDBG-DR to attend APA National in New Orleans, although it had a really solid nexus to disaster recovery so there wasn't much question.

Prior entitlement city: My salary/benefits was funded 50% from CDBG. I routinely attended state APA conferences.

I have seen individuals from City of San Antonio at the Texas APA Conference that I know are 100% funded through CDBG/HOME, which typically means their travel, training & dues are also funded from CDBG/HOME.

Masswich

Cyburbian
Wrestled with several CD administrators about these sorts of things. I always felt that under the 20% cap you have a lot of flexibility to do "general planning" which can include training. I may not fund a full national APA trip with it, but I'd fund part of a trip like the registration. We certainly fund training more directly related to CD work with our admin $$$. May get dinged by HUD (and I am not surprised that if you ask, they would say "no") but not significantly.