• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Celebrity Politician for Your State?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Ahhnold has thrown his hat into the ring in Cali, and he may very well be saying "I'll be back" and "hasta la vista, baby" all the way to Sacramento. And this, just after Jerry Springer turned down a chance to run for the Senate in Ohio. Blame it all on Jesse Ventura. Or maybe the Gipper himself.

What celebrity might be the right one to make a run for office in your state/province? Oprah Winfrey in Illinois? John Mellencamp in Indiana? Barry Switzer in Oklahoma? Mark Cuban in Texas? Charles Barkley in Alabama?

What other celebrities might be infected with this bug to serve in the public interest? Cyburbanites, think of the possibilities. And share them.

donk

Cyburbian
Celebrities from my province include

David Adams Richards (author Nights Below Station Street) Freeman Patterson (photographer).

In reality it should be Steve Smith (Red Green) . Possum Lodge is not too far from me and the van he drives would fit in nicely.

I can just see Anne Murray as Premier of Nova Scotia.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'm going with James Gandolfini (of Sopranos fame) as County Commissioner for Hudson County, NJ.

Edit: I'll also take The Boss for governor and Bruce Willis as his lieutenant governor.

jordanb

Cyburbian
You mean Mayor Richard M. Daley isn't a celebrity? He sure as hell thinks he is.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
A natural for the machiavellian world of RI politics would be Richard Hatch, Survivor winner. Although he did get into trouble with the State for having his adopted son do boot camp style exercises everyday at 4 am.

James Woods would get the liberal vote.

The Farrelly Brothers would get the vote of people who demand more diarrhea jokes in state politics.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tommy Chong for Alberta Premier! Klein's a drunk... so why not a pothead?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
That's a joke, right? Just checking...
I don't really know what his politics are. He just seems like a sensitive, educated guy who would go over well at Brown.

Massachusetts has the Kennedy's. They can outparty and outspend any celebrities and cover it all up better too.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Kid Rock for Michigan Governor

Eminem for Michigan Deputy Governor

And

Tim Allen for Michigan Attorney General

michaelskis

Cyburbian
mendelman said:

And

Maybe Bob Seger for Secretary of State?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
mendelman said:

And

There's gotta be a place for Bob Seger, too.

Hey, does Michigan lead the nation in working-class white guys?

Edit: michaelskis, you beat me to it.

El Feo

Cyburbian
For the home state:

Ashley Judd for Governor of Kentucky...how cool would it be to have a governor that's HOT?

For the adopted state:

Conan O'Brien for Massachusetts Governor...I would vote for him, just for the chance to hear him give 4 "State of the Commonwealth" addresses.

Wulf9

I lived in Carmel when Clint was mayor. He wasn't much of a mayor, but there were always lots of people at the Council meetings. He tossed tens of thousands into polling and campaign stuff in a city where campaigns were expensive if they went as high as $500.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Spike Lee for Brooklyn Borough President.

You already know his campaign slogan -- "Do the Right Thing."

el Guapo

Capitalist
The Land of Ahhs...

Gordon Jump (WKRP-Maytag Repairman) for Gov in Kansas!
Don Johnson for Attorney General
Kirsty Alley for Official State PsycoHoseBeast.
Michael Landon for Official Dead White Guy.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I guess Huey Lewis could run. The rumor in rock and roll is he is very BIG. He has the name recognition and recently was in the news for denying anglers access to a slough on his property.

Some of our other celebrities include: Michael Keaton (maybe Attorney General - "I am Batman"); Liz Claiborne (who is very generous to her rural fire department and loved by her neighbors); Mel Gibson (who owns a ranch or two); Ted Turner (who owns a lot of ranches and is about as popular in the state as Rush Limbaugh at a NOW convention), and Jim Nabors.

Anyone of these has got to be better than our current governor.

nerudite

Cyburbian
[OT]
otterpop: I've merged at least a dozen of your posts to the main threads. Please hit 'reply' instead of 'new post'. And check your private messages, I would think you have a half dozen there from mods telling you the same thing. Thank you. [/OT]

biscuit

Cyburbian
In PA we could have the Will Smith and Christina Aquilera ticket. They could really unit our state. One's form Philly and the other is from Pittsburgh so they could bridge the east/west gap. Ones black the others white/fake latino, so there could be racial harmany. Will would bring out the votes of the often forgoten young and/or urban, and Christina would certainly clinch the vote of PA's clown looking - skank whore population.

My home state of South Carolina could put together a ticket of sappy author Pat Conroy and supper hottie actress Andy McDowell. And after spending 20 years turning letters Vanna White would make a great Secretary of Education.

Last edited:

pete-rock

Cyburbian
The great State of Mississippi would progress at the speed of light if Sela Ward was in charge...

BTW, doesn't she look like Ashley Judd with a few more years on her?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Aren't there any qualified celebrity cheeseheads who could lead Wisconsin?

Or is the state just lacking in celebrity and charisma? ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Actually all of our good Wisconsin celebs are dead. I would have liked to see Senator Chris Farley and President Liberace.

We have a lot of second rate celebs like Kato Kaelin, Willem Dafoe, Tony Shalhoub (Wings, Monk),

We do have Kristen Johnson (3rd Rock). She can hold whatever office she wants.

Same goes for Heather Grahm

Last edited:

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Britney Spears fo Gub-Nah of Lou-wee-zee-anah!
Why not. We've already had a criminal (remember "vote for crook, it's important" --Edwin W. Edwards vs. David Duke in the runoff) and a lunatic.We could use a complement to Jimmie "You are my Sunshine" Davis.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:

I'm in the 2000 Clube. Does that make me famous enough? I'd give it a shot.

Markitect

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:

If we could use fictional celebrities, Arthur Fonzarelli might receive a winning vote.

oulevin

Cyburbian
As a native Oklahoman, I shudder every time I think how popular Barry Switzer is in the state. Don't say it; it may actually happen. J.C. Watts, Steve Largent are proof positive of this.

President - nice guy Vince Gill
Vice-President - enforcer Brian (Dick Cheney) Bosworth
Communications Director - ubermarketer Garth Brooks
Secretary of State - always gracious Reba McEntire
NEA head - multitalented Kristen Chenoweth
Surgeon General - neurotic Megan Mullaly
Press Secretaries - mesmerizing Flaming Lips

kms

Cyburbian
I think that Nancy Culp/Miss Jane Hathaway ran for an office in eastern PA. She's dead now, isn't she?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
I'm in the 2000 Clube. Does that make me famous enough? I'd give it a shot.
I'm sure all the Cyburbians will vote for you. Unfortunately, I am in the wrong state for that. Hey, good luck!

H

Cyburbian
FLA….where to begin????

Maybe Bobby Bowden ;)

*He seriously could probably do a good job. I mean he does not really “coach” he puts together the great coaching staff. He could do the same in gov, put together the staff.

“wear your sunscreen!” :)