• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cement Bagging Plant

Niyojak

I have come across a request from a developer for putting up a cement bagging plant in a rural area near the city. The site is on the banks of a river and the cement is to be transported by waterways. There is no special regulations in place for the area and the present landuse is agro-industrial. Any inputs.

boiker

Cyburbian
pollution

maybe particulate pollution control so that downwind areas don't get dusted with limestone. I'd inquire with the developer to see if they have measures for this.

that's about all I can think of outside of normal checks.

donk

Cyburbian
If the area is already used to agro-industrial (feed mills?) I would doubt that a cement bagging plant would be that different in terms of nuisance(dust) or traffic. I would caution you that cement / lime processing plants are loud, noisy and place a burden on electrical and natural gas (where available) services.

If you can bind the developer to terms and conditions, maybe make sure to put something to deal with dust collection and traffic.

Niyojak

The developer has state-of-the-art dust free plant and he is only packaging the cement and not manufacturing. He has also made provisions for electrical backup. Windwardside is vacant and Nebourhood Development Council shall take care of later development.

But what my apprehension is, on leeward side at a distance of about 500' down the road, a small hospital is proposed. Dose it sound alarming?

donk

Cyburbian
I say this in jest, but it has to be said (and those that know where I live will know why)

Welcome to planning in the third world. ;)

We have similar situations locally.