• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Rural / small town Census data challenges in small town and rural planning

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
omg I really hate trying to get census data for my smaller communities (less than 5k pop, that is)

DVD

Cyburbian
Get the local church to organize a door to door effort. They know the town, plus it helps to increase funding to the area.

If you're looking for map data, good luck. My local clerks are worthless with technology so our GIS department does a lot of the boundary stuff for them.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Depending on how much data you need and how often you use it, it might be worthwhile to look into a subscription to ArcGIS Online and/or Business Analyst Online. It's much less expensive than a full ESRI Business Analyst license and comes pre-loaded with the Census data as well as ESRI's demographic estimates and forecasts so you can define your own geographies to get demographic data for whatever sized-population you need. ESRI charges "credits" to actually run reports with the data but those credits come out of your annual subscription allotment. If the ArcGIS Online or Business Analyst Online subscriptions are too expensive for your municipality, ESRI also allows you to partner with other entities to share the license. I work for a county and we have our own license but there are a bunch of cities and townships in our county who also have bought in and have access to the information themselves.

Top Bottom