• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂
  • If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

Census data for unincorporated areas

I’ve asked two people this question but got the answer I don’t want, so I thought I’d ask here just to see if anyone has the magic answer I am seeking. If one is trying to pull Census data from American Fact Finder for only the unincorporated areas of a county, do you really have to pull the data for the entire county, and then subtract out the data for the incorporated cities? For example, if I want to know the number of residents that live in the unincorporated areas of the county only. Do I really have to find the number of residents in the entire county, and then subtract out the number of residents in each city? There’s no predefined geographical area for only “unincorporated” county?

You know, I swear the last I looked at one of the excel sheets available for download, it included all of the info you're needing. An easy excel formula could get you the info fairly quickly. I'll check in the morning on what info I've downloaded and where I got it from, hopefully it wasn't a regional source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent all day Tuesday with a lady from the Census doing training. I don't know the answer right now but I will reach out to her in the morning and try to get you some direction.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My suggestion

American Fact Finder
Advanced Search
Geographies
switch selection dot to All geographic types
select under state -040
place/remainder - 070

An Indiana example
census screen.jpg

What about looking at the data at the Block Group level? Then you just pull the Block Groups of the unincorporated and hit SUM on excel. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying?

You know, I swear the last I looked at one of the excel sheets available for download, it included all of the info you're needing. An easy excel formula could get you the info fairly quickly. I'll check in the morning on what info I've downloaded and where I got it from, hopefully it wasn't a regional source.
I just spent all day Tuesday with a lady from the Census doing training. I don't know the answer right now but I will reach out to her in the morning and try to get you some direction.
Thank you both, if you find out anything potentially helpful I am very happy to investigate and see if it works!

My suggestion

American Fact Finder
Advanced Search
Geographies
switch selection dot to All geographic types
select under state -040
place/remainder - 070

An Indiana example
View attachment 5567
Thank you so much for the screenshot JNA. I thought this was going to work, but it looks like I'd have to add up all of the Census Designated Places and CDP "Remainders" to get what I'm looking for. I actually tweeted the Census with my question and they tweeted back that I could add up the CDPs for the "areas" that I'm looking for, not understanding that I'm looking for ALL the unincorporated areas. Then I tweeted again to clarify and they didn't answer back, hah.

What about looking at the data at the Block Group level? Then you just pull the Block Groups of the unincorporated and hit SUM on excel. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying?
Thanks, I could do this (after I figure out all the Block Groups I need) but I was hoping that there was a predefined "all unincorporated areas of a county" geographic area that I could select on American Fact Finder that would give me what I need. I can do an Excel addition or subtraction exercise if needed, but it seemed like "all unincorporated areas of a county" would be a geographic search used often enough that they'd have it predefined. It's looking like it's not though, darn!

...Thanks, I could do this (after I figure out all the Block Groups I need) but I was hoping that there was a predefined "all unincorporated areas of a county" geographic area that I could select on American Fact Finder that would give me what I need. I can do an Excel addition or subtraction exercise if needed, but it seemed like "all unincorporated areas of a county" would be a geographic search used often enough that they'd have it predefined. It's looking like it's not though, darn!
I've been working with Census data forever. What makes sense to us just never seems to make sense to them. :r:

Thank you both, if you find out anything potentially helpful I am very happy to investigate and see if it works!

Thank you so much for the screenshot JNA. I thought this was going to work, but it looks like I'd have to add up all of the Census Designated Places and CDP "Remainders" to get what I'm looking for. I actually tweeted the Census with my question and they tweeted back that I could add up the CDPs for the "areas" that I'm looking for, not understanding that I'm looking for ALL the unincorporated areas. Then I tweeted again to clarify and they didn't answer back, hah.

Thanks, I could do this (after I figure out all the Block Groups I need) but I was hoping that there was a predefined "all unincorporated areas of a county" geographic area that I could select on American Fact Finder that would give me what I need. I can do an Excel addition or subtraction exercise if needed, but it seemed like "all unincorporated areas of a county" would be a geographic search used often enough that they'd have it predefined. It's looking like it's not though, darn!
Nah, I can't get it for my area either. Dang. I just downloaded all of their data for my county and it will be all math.