• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Centennial of Flight

el Guapo

Capitalist
I’m not much for media hype anniversaries but today is the 100th anniversary of the first powered flight by man. My hat is off to the achievements of both Orville and Wilbur Wright. I have been watching the myriad of shows on the History Channel, Discovery and CSPAN concerning the path the brothers took towards the goal and I have a much greater understanding of the pure genius, perseverance and the damn hard work it took for the two brothers to triumph. Kudos also go out to all of the pioneers of flight that came afterward, but the Wrights did it first when no one else could.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
According to 2000 Census figures, some 50,000 Americans are older than 100, so in their lifetime we have gone from the first powered flight to the moon and far beyond.

What will amaze people when we are 100?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Gedunker said:

We will finally get the 1950's vision of 1980, but not until after 2030.

and flying cars for everybody, so that we can enjoy the wonders of traffic control in 3 dimensions.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Gedunker said: