• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

"Centerville": The most common town name?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Doing a simple search on Topozone.com, I found that there are 107 Centervilles in the United States. A couple of these appeared to be duplicates, but even after factoring out these, there were still over 100 different Centerville's listed. There are also eight places called "Centreville, bringing the total to about 112.

http://www.topozone.com/viewmaps.asp?method=place&placename=centerville&statefips=0

94Centerville_-_Iowa-med.png

94Centerville_-_Ohio-med.png

94Centerville_-_Pennsylvania_1-med.png

94Centerville_-_Wisconsin_1-med.png

94Centreville_-_Michigan_1-med.png

44 of 50 states had at least one Centerville/Centreville, with only Alaska, Hawaii, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon. and Wyoming being without one. Pennsylvania has nine Centervilles, Virginia has eight, Illinois has seven, while Ohio and Georgia each have six.

Now, I'm sure that a significant number of these towns are mere crossroads localities and unicorporated communities of less than 100 people, such as the one in New Mexico below. Others may be ghost towns - having a population at one time, but now just an in-name-only site that still bears "Centerville" on topographic maps.

You would have to click on each link to find out for sure.

94Centerville_-_New_Mexico-med.png

But there's still a lot of Centervilles. A lot more than the Springfields, Marions or Athens' that are also common town names. Can you think of any other common town names?

Last edited:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
At least you listed the Iowa one first

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Commodore Stephen Decatur inspired a lot of town names, including the one I am in, in Illinois (also the largest in population). Off the top of my head, I know that there is a Decatur in Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Indiana. Others that are common: If there is a city named Clinton, it is usually in DeWitt County, or vice versa. Same with Jasper and Newton.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
You may be right about Centerville. And if you added Center (I used to work amongst the ruins of a ghost town called Center in S Kansas). There are a number of Springfields around, too, and John Charles Fremont left his name on an amazing number of counties and towns.

BKM

Cyburbian
There is only one "Cow Town" I am aware of in the US :)

"Fairfield" was named by Captain Waterman after his home town of Fairfield, Conn.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
There is no Centerville in the metropolitan De Noc area (my fake city). Of course, being "King", I can easily add one (1) in, connect the dots (so to speak) and, presto, De Noc's SMSA (or whatever the feds call it this decade) will grow.

Ahhh, it's good to be "King".

King Bear

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
BKM said:
There is only one "Cow Town" I am aware of in the US :)

"Fairfield" was named by Captain Waterman after his home town of Fairfield, Conn.

There are Holsteins in Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Oregon however

BKM

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
There are Holsteins in Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Oregon however
Ah, good point.

I also know that Fairfield, Iowa is the center of TM in the US, right?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
BKM said:
Ah, good point.

I also know that Fairfield, Iowa is the center of TM in the US, right?

Yes it is there and Vedic City

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
There are 22 feature records have been selected from GNIS.
for Pleasantville.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
IMHO, you all have way too much time on your hands. Get to work you slackers. ;)

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
IMHO, you all have way too much time on your hands. Get to work you slackers. ;)
This board is all about slacking. It's a monument to slack! Slack to live, live to slack.

benk928

Cyburbian
Virginia Beach also has a district of town that some call Centerville. I'm sure if you included various neighborhoods you'd have a huge list.

-Ben

statler

Cyburbian
Centerville

Well, now there is one fewer....

Centerville, an outpost of blueberry barrens and weathered homesteads 70 miles east of Bangor, is one of a growing number of Maine municipalities -- many remote and dwindling in population -- that are disbanding and becoming a part of Maine's unorganized territory, which is overseen and managed by the state.
With little fanfare, a tiny Maine town fades away
- Boston Globe