• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Challenge - Help Me Cheat

Stockton

I used to live in Independence, Kansas, a town with a population of about 10,000, located in southeast Kansas, about 90 miles directly north of Tulsa , Oklahoma. It's a pleasant town, very quaint.

The Independence area is home to:
-Elk City State Park, which is 12,000 acres, and includes a 4,500-acre lake. http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/pmforum/elkcity.html
-Riverside Park, an in-town park, that features a fountain, minature golf, nickel carousel rides, playground equipment, and more. www.forpaz.com
-Ralph Mitchell Zoo, which features 200 animals in an area about about 50 acres. www.forpaz.com
-Official location of Little House on the Prairie http://www.littlehouseonprairie.com/

Anyway, Independence has a fall festival called Neewollah. It lasts about 10 days and includes multiple parades, concerts, a ball, 'Queen Neelah' contest, and a medallion hunt.

The medallion is hidden somewhere on public land in town, and whoever finds it wins $500 if they are wearing a 2003 Neewollah button, or $250 if they aren't

Clues are posted regularly in the local media and Neewollah's website - www.neewollah.com - http://www.neewollah.com/medallianhunt.htm

Here are the clues leading to the location of the medallion so far:
Clue #1
The secret is sealed,
The location not to be revealed;
On Patmos, a vision of white, red, black and pale
The sacred truth -- not a tall tale.

Clue #2
Don't lay on your couch and vegetate,
Get up - get looking - and don't be late.

Clue #3
The number 13 will bring you a curse,
But the letter 13 will win you the purse.
A connection between a malady, a merchant and a muffin we can’t deny;
But you’ll scratch your head, look east and west, and ask “Why?”

Now, if you're willing to assist me in making sense of the clues, and it leads me to the medallion, which means I will have won the $500, I will donate $200 to the Cyburbia bandwidth fund.

I'm 17, male, and live in Kansas City, BTW. I introduced myself a while back, but I'm sure many of your missed that.

Stockton

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The letter 13 -- perhaps "B" is what they mean. Is there something colored red, white, black and pale, on an island, near a "B"?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Enquiring minds want to know!

Is it near Neodesha and first oil well west of the Mississippi river? Do girls from Fredonia really put out more than Independence girls? How is the Cessna plant? Is Halloween spelled backwards Neewollah? Are the Gorillas going to whip NWMSU?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Or maybe the "letter 13" is the 13th letter of the alphabet - M

Is there an island's name that starts with an 'M'.

How about if you start at the Mitchell Zoo, since it is the only thing you have listed with an M in the name and from what little I can see on the website of the sign, it is white lettering on a red brick background, surrounded by pale bricks. I do not see any black in this pathetic picture, which has the top of the sign cut off, but a personal inspection ought to clear that up right quick.

Also, the sign appears to not be tall at all.

Additionally, the Mitchell Zoo has a Monkey exhibit of monkeys that could also be described as red, white, black, and pale and, gee, they live on some historical thing-y called Monkey Island. I have never heard of Patmos but I am willing to take everyone's word for it that it is an island.

Please remit $50 if you find it at the MItchell Zoo. Make sure you find it with your pin on so there is something left for you after you pay me and Cyburbia.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Michele Zone said:
How about if you start at the Mitchell Zoo, since it is the only thing you have listed with an M in the name and from what little I can see on the website of the sign, it is white lettering on a red brick background, surrounded by pale bricks. I do not see any black in this pathetic picture, which has the top of the sign cut off, but a personal inspection ought to clear that up right quick.

Also, the sign appears to not be tall at all.

Additionally, the Mitchell Zoo has a Monkey exhibit of monkeys that could also be described as red, white, black, and pale and, gee, they live on some historical thing-y called Monkey Island. I have never heard of Patmos but I am willing to take everyone's word for it that it is an island.

Please remit $50 if you find it at the MItchell Zoo. Make sure you find it with your pin on so there is something left for you after you pay me and Cyburbia.
There is a sick local legend in Indypendy that has to do with Monkey's and Cats and the early days of the space race....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Here's my 2 cents, probably worth less since I am not at all familiar with your city:

Does the public land have to be a large tract? Could it be public ROW, for instance?

Clue #1: mentions a Greek island and the sacred truth. Is there a Greek Orthodox church in town? Don't get the color connection, though. Or is there a courthouse of Greek design?

Clue #2: says don't be late. Is there a prominent clock in town?

Clue #3: 13 seems to be "M", as noted above. Is there a location in town where a bakery, a retail store, and something associated with a malady (hospital, doctor's office, street with a malady name) are all visible? Perhaps on an east-west road. Go there and look for something with an "M".

Jeff

Cyburbian
My name begins with "M"

So does "Monkey"

And lesbian, if it were spelled "Mesbian"

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I like cheese
-What kind of cheese, HeadCheese, cause my uncle makes the best damn headcheese in texas.... hey there's a hitch hiker lets pick him up. I don't know guys Rwwhattt Roooa George.

donk

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Or maybe the "letter 13" is the 13th letter of the alphabet - M

Is there an island's name that starts with an 'M'.
And since Mike D. already mentioned lesbians, the number 13 is also a sign for mary jane. Maybe its near an opium den or rastafarian church?

Stockton

el Guapo said:
There is a sick local legend in Indypendy that has to do with Monkey's and Cats and the early days of the space race....
There sure is. How do you know so much about Indy?

Stockton

Here is a photo of the Montgomery County Courthouse. It is pale, black, and I don't know about red or white. I'm going to Independence Friday, so I can look around town then.

And just for the hell of it, here are the other photos of Independence:

All photos are from BillWhiteRealty.com.

Zoning Goddess said:

Clue #1: mentions a Greek island and the sacred truth. Is there a Greek Orthodox church in town? Don't get the color connection, though. Or is there a courthouse of Greek design?

Clue #2: says don't be late. Is there a prominent clock in town?

Clue #3: 13 seems to be "M", as noted above. Is there a location in town where a bakery, a retail store, and something associated with a malady (hospital, doctor's office, street with a malady name) are all visible? Perhaps on an east-west road. Go there and look for something with an "M".
Those are some excellent points. And: I didn't make the connection that Aptos was a Greek Island -- that makes me think of Sorority and Fraternity houses, with all their Greek letters.

Which reminds me: there was a prominent clock on the campus of the college I attended as a teenager. And the research mentioned at the Mitchell Zoo (sending the Monkey into space and all) -- I don't have time to go back to the website, but the small Zoo in Manhattan Kansas is closely tied to the huge university there (drop by and see it if you are ever in the area -- it is a better zoo than some of the big ones I have been to) and I am assuming that the Mitchell Zoo is also associated with a college.

Additionally, if it is downtown, aren't many old downtown areas in America laid out on a grid pattern, with streets running north-south and crossing streets running east-west?

So, is there some connection between ZG's "clues" and MZ's "clues" (other than the Z in our initials)?

EDIT: One last thing: my Greek is exceedingly rusty. Does anyone know what the word "Aptos" might mean in English? If you translate it, maybe that is another clue.

SkeLeton said:
Aptos= tactile, tactual...
acording to: http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon

Hope that helps :)
I don't see how it can help this guy find a medallion, but one of the brainier men with a "dirty mind" should find some way to work that into the endless mentioning of Lesbians, Killing Kittens, etc. "Aptos" could become one of the Cyburbia in-jokes -- "for Geeks only".;)

bignoidies

More Clues!!!

Clue #1
The secret is sealed,
The location not to be revealed;
On Patmos, a vision of white, red, black and pale
The sacred truth -- not a tall tale.

Clue #2
Don't lay on your couch and vegetate,
Get up - get looking - and don't be late.

Clue #3
The number 13 will bring you a curse,
But the letter 13 will win you the purse.
A connection between a malady, a merchant and a muffin we can’t deny;
But you’ll scratch your head, look east and west, and ask “Why?”

Clue #4
Where to next:
Are you perplexed?
Find out who resides in Hoban's residence,
and you'll be feeling like the President.

Clue #5
I share something with Wes and Kent,
just what, you must divine.
The answer to where you can go,
share the numbers "1" and "64".

Clue #6
We've set a record now,
You folks are taking it on the chin!
You might as well surrender,
It's a fight you cannot win!
Count the ways to find the treasure,
Half a dozen will make you grin.