• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Changes in the 'Burb Fixer Household

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
A few of you know me from many years posting on here. This includes the general conclusion that my wife and I would not be having biological children (both as a choice and because of some cards we were dealt). We figured we would just adopt whenever, and in the meantime enjoy gloating about our travels to our friends with kids.

Well, funny story... this is apparently coming to a screeching halt! Mrs. 'Burb Fixer is 18 weeks pregnant with a little girl.

So get ready for some quality entertainment from me such as:
  1. I have no idea what to do with a little girl
  2. we get to see whose karma actually wins: Mrs. 'Burb Fixer's "angelic, cooperative & well behaved" karma or my "child directly from satan" karma
  3. My brothers exact their revenge for all of the terrible things I purchased for their kids... airsoft guns, full drum sets, etc.
  4. Me currently drinking for 2.5
There's a little bit of genetic testing we need to clear, but by all appearances we are on the healthy baby track!

kms

Cyburbian
Congratulations!

Be ready for karma if you’ve been the wild and favorite uncle.

You treat your little girl the way you want her future partners to treat her, and you let her see you treat your wife the same way. Dads get to do fun things like tossing kids in the air a bit and catching them. Moms are cautious. Dads are adventurous. Let your daughter be adventurous.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Congrats man! My 13 year daughter has committed me to life of alcoholism at its finest points (or like last wednesday, a 2 mile jog at 8pm at night)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Congratulations!

Be ready for karma if you’ve been the wild and favorite uncle.

You treat your little girl the way you want her future partners to treat her, and you let her see you treat your wife the same way. Dads get to do fun things like tossing kids in the air a bit and catching them. Moms are cautious. Dads are adventurous. Let your daughter be adventurous.
Well, our official titles from our nieces and nephews are "Funcle ___" and "Faunt ___." That can't be good... :eek:

We were both raised a bit on the "free range" side of things--lots of adventures outdoors, running around the neighborhood with our "gang" of friends, some good trips to the ER, etc. Mrs. 'Burb Fixer comes from a farm family in Ohio, so she definitely doesn't have the "put pads on everything and start the helicopter" mentality. I figure that is bound to bode well for this little girl.

There's already a first victim of this change though... I'm about to sell my motorcycle. I was thinking about it anyway, but this change has cemented it. Mrs. 'Burb Fixer has given her blessing that I can poke around for something with four seats and no roof as a "fun vehicle" provided I don't break the bank.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Congratulations! Have 5 more to catch up with me and we'll compete at some Founder's Day or Labor Day Picnic. It'll be fun. Seriously though, I hope it's all the best and nothing but wonderful. Biggest of Hugs, man.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations to you and the Mrs.

Having spectacularly caught off guard in 2011 with my now 7 year old I can totally relate.

You'll be great parents. Sending best wishes for a healthy baby and mama.

shell_waster

Cyburbian
That is fantastic news! You and Mrs. are about to really enjoy what life has to offer once your little angel enters the world. My daughter is 9 and being dad to her is the most enjoyable and yet the most frightening experience I have ever had and that is saying a lot. When karma rears her head, just sit back and laugh.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Congrats !

If you were smart you would not post/start a "Let Cyburbia Name My Kid Thread" :po_O:roflmao::r::censored:

What is this sleep thing it ?

Planit

Cyburbian
CONGRATS!

Of course you know, we have The Girl at our house. I had no idea what to do because I grew up with brothers.

Hang on - Its gonna be a wild and crazy ride! It'll go fast and you'll enjoy as vast majority of it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Happy for you! :D

This will totally change your daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, and lifespan plans. Good luck keeping up! :texas::wf::heart::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

DVD

Cyburbian
Congrats!

Having a girl is no different than anything else. You corrupt them in your own special way. Mine enjoys occasional girly things, but loves horror movies and getting thrown around by me. The other loves girly things. You just roll with it and give them a few extra hugs.

If I were your brother/in-law, I too would be seeking revenge. I still have a list for my brother because of the annoying and loud spinning top toy and the bongo drums. You will never experience quiet in your house again is I were them.

Don't worry about the angel/satan mix. She'll be 100% mom's angel when she's good and 100% dad's devil when she's bad. It will always be your fault. Haven't you learned that with marriage yet?

Also, look at the best thing...you now have an excuse to go to the park or other kids events and enjoy them without being the creepy old guy.

And now for the naming!!!

I'm going with old school like Bertha or Helga.

Congrats again dad!

dw914er

Cyburbian
Congrats SR! We have a two month old little girl, and it is certainly an amazing and drastic change in your life. I hope Ms. SR and you are doing well, and enjoy the sleep while you can.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
mskis is right: your life will never be the same: it will be richer and far more satisfying than you could ever possibly imagine.

Best wishes to you and Mrs. Burb Fixer!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Like others said, congrats! My wife and I made both made the same decision to not have have kids, and I have no idea how our lies would change if we were parents. I'm sure you'll be a great dad. :). Post pics!

You originally said ...

My brothers exact their revenge for all of the terrible things I purchased for their kids... airsoft guns, full drum sets, etc.
Hehehehe! Did you do that on purpose? Get ready for dirt bikes and one of these.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Congrats! Welcome to the world of sleep deprivation! ;)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Congrats! Life will be full of poop diapers and questions about hunger! Enjoy!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Congrats and welcome to the club!

The cooler club.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Congrats! Sleep when they sleep. Any signs of colic/GERD, get 'em on that baby Zantac or whatever. My kid went kind of undiagnosed with that for awhile and the first six months of being up all night nearly killed us.

The best part of having a kid was how much LESS concerned I was with work BS. Perspective.