• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

charismatic?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Chula Vista, CA is seeking a planning director. From the ad in APA Job Mart:

"immediate opining for an energetic, charismatic, visionary leader...."

Charismatic? That word is not in my resume (yet). When I interview candidates with the typical "what are your strong points", charismatic has never been a response. Is Basic Charisma now being offered in planning school?

SGB

Cyburbian
[stereotyping]

It's Southern California. Only the "beautiful people" need apply.

[/stereotyping]

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Jim Jones was charasmatic. I would suggest for the cool-aid drinkers in Guyana, that character trait proved not so good. It can be a bit overrated if not contextualized.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Charismatic

Imagine getting the dink letter:

You had all the skills and experience but not the charisma !

Ridiculous! But then it is California . . .

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
mike gurnee said:
"immediate opining for an energetic, charismatic, visionary leader...."

Charismatic? Are they looking for a PD or a D&D character? They apparently forgot strength, intelligence, dexterity, wisdom and constitution.

"You're a human chaotic good planning director, with 150 gold, five torches, a waterskin, a blue shirt and a pair of khaki pants with an armor class of +1, a 6+3 red pen, a potion of coffee and a scroll of zoning."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I am charismatic!

I sooooo love talking to petitioner's about zoning, while trying to bulls**t my respone about the "health, safety, and welfare" impact of some sign code reg.

(nice, nerd reference, Dan)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hmmmm... I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think to some extent a good director does have to be a little charismatic, especially if they head up a lot of the public outreach. I've seen directors do open houses with the public or charettes when they have zero charisma, and the public tunes out. At least Chula Vista is being up front about what they want and not just giving you a PFO based on you don't 'fit' with what they are looking for.

But then... I started working in the planning field in California, so maybe I'm used to wonky criteria.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
In looking for various (non-planning) jobs years ago the term "aggressively friendly" would piss me off a lot . I'm nowhere near aggressively friendly, and it doesn't sound like a good personality trait.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
In looking for various (non-planning) jobs years ago the term "aggressively friendly" would piss me off a lot . I'm nowhere near aggressively friendly, and it doesn't sound like a good personality trait.

That sounds like a cross between an ankle biter dog and a cheerleader.