• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Charlie Chan - Yes or No?

Should the Charlie Chan films be broadcast?

• Yes

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cardinal

Cyburbian
What happens to the past when cultural sensitivities change? Fox will not be showing the old Charlie Chan movies. Granted, they do portray racial stereotypes. Does that mean they are consigned to museums, never to be seen again? Is it better to hide them, or to show them?

Here's the article:

Fox Drops 'Charlie Chan' Film Festival
Tue Jul 1, 5:47 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Charlie Chan is off the case for the Fox Movie Channel.

The channel, citing respect for contemporary racial attitudes, has dropped a summer festival of movies featuring the character of the Chinese detective.

The films have been condemned by Asian-American activists as presenting ethnic stereotypes and because white actors played the part of Chan in the films first produced in the 1930s.

Fox Movie Channel announced its decision on its Internet site Friday, drawing complaints from some fans of the movies as well as compliments from Chan critics.

In its statement, the channel said the films were made "at a time when racial sensitivities were not as they are today." The channel invited comments from viewers and said it hoped "this action will evoke discussion about the progress made in our modern, multicultural society."

Fox Movie Channel was part of an effort to restore nearly two dozen early Chan films, which were produced by parent studio 20th Century Fox.

Some subscribers have complained about the films, which mostly starred Warner Oland and then Sidney Toler as Chan, a spokesman for the channel said. The Organization of Chinese Americans Inc., a Washington-based civil rights advocacy group, also complained.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you feel even more strongly about them, don't support companies that advertise during the movies. I have really had no interest in Charlie Chan films, so I wouldn't watch them, but they are a part of cinematic history, so I say they should air.

People need to lighten up.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I think if they took everything off the air that "presented ethnic stereotypes" we'd have nothing to watch.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I've never seen one in my life, so this is probably the norm for most in our generation. These are classics, a part of our history, I say show them.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
uh... way to go freedom of expression.... Oh well afterall it's FOX that looses...

If the films offend you, but do not contian inmoral scenes (i.e. pron) they're ok for broadcast... FOX can't force you to watch it! This is as stupid as those Mc Donald's law suits.... :p

It's hard to believe that Fox has the gall to pull anything off of its lineup given the crap they are known to broadcast on their regular television station.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Yes, By All Means...

Given the swill they've ceased to remove off the airwaves, it's amazing that they'd focus on this. What's next to go? Jay Silverheels & Tonto? The Marx Brothers, because they exhibited "anti-feminist" behavior toward Margaret DuMont?

If we needed more evidence that we're witnessing a "dumbing down of our culture," we got it.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: Yes, By All Means...

Miles Ignatius said:
If we needed more evidence that we're witnessing a "dumbing down of our culture," we got it.
Isn't the mere existence of the FOX network proof enough?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Yes, By All Means...

Miles Ignatius said:
Given the swill they've ceased to remove off the airwaves, it's amazing that they'd focus on this. What's next to go? Jay Silverheels & Tonto? The Marx Brothers, because they exhibited "anti-feminist" behavior toward Margaret DuMont?

The Marx Brothers classic, "A Day at the Races," contains a scene with the black people working at the track singing. It is painful to watch, as it reflects the stereotypes of the time. It is, in fact, a scene that might have appeared in an old minstral show. Still, I would not advocate not showing the movie, or cutting the scene from the movie. While it is no longer entertaining (given our current understanding), it is of historical note. Things like that are reminders of our past and help us to grow as a society. FOX might have shown the Charlie Chan movies, but also offered a discussion of the stereotypes they portray and the history of Chinese settlement in the US, as AMC or the History Channel often do.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Good Point!

Mike:

I know the scene and it's a painful one to watch. I guess I'd like to see us advance to a point that when something like that is viewed, it would be understood that it is comedy of a particular era and we've progressed since that time. I suppose that the existence of hate-mongering skinheads on one hand and the 99/100% pure-as-we-can-be political correctness crowd on the other tells me we're not there.

Anyone for the Tele-Tubbies?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Yes, By All Means...

Michael Stumpf said:
The Marx Brothers classic, "A Day at the Races," contains a scene with the black people working at the track singing. It is painful to watch, as it reflects the stereotypes of the time. It is, in fact, a scene that might have appeared in an old minstral show. Still, I would not advocate not showing the movie, or cutting the scene from the movie.
I'm not familiar with that movie, but I have seen "Birth of a Nation," which was one of the first cinematic epics (circa 1915). It was about the rise of the KKK in the South and presented blacks in a truly evil way. Also, some early "Tom and Jerry" cartoons had an "Aunt Jemima"-type figure that I remember being pretty unflattering as a child. Ted Turner owns those, and you can't find them on TV anymore, either.

I voted against not showing Charlie Chan movies. I vaguely remember them from 25-30 years ago on TV, and don't remember them being especially negative in their portrayal of Asians -- but that might be just me. Seeing "Birth of a Nation" or "Amos 'n Andy" reruns might make me reconsider that, maybe because they hit closer to home.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I guess all the Tarzan movies are next. Then "Leave it to Beaver" since we all know women don't walk around in heels and pearls and stay home all day polishing the silver.

Sorry, it's like old literature. It reflected the stereotypes of the time. Fox is caving in to one special interest; how many are to follow?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A sign of the times

This Friday at midnight Comedy Central will be airing the South PArk movie UNEDITED.

So we cant watch a white guy play an asain, but we can watch a bunch of prepubescents say the F*** word a few hundred times and watch animated inumendo gay sex between Saddam and Satan, and watch Terrance and Phillip fart all over each other.

Am i missing something here? Well, except for the "blame Canada" part. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Slightly OT

On a similar theme.
When my son was young a relative bought him a few videos of cartoons. The tapes were obviously from a ChiCom bootleg operation. They were bought from an outdoor market in San Francisco in the early 90's. The tapes had about 20 Bugs Bunny Cartoons I had never seen before. Some were mildly racist. Some were overtly racist towards blacks. A few were aggressive towards the Germans and Japanese (WWII era). One cartoon had Bugs going on a killing rampage against the "Japs". These have obviously been pulled from the public air-waves since at least the 60s. Rightfully so.

While I don't think these tapes should ever be shown to children, they should be seen on something like PBS or the History Channel as examples of their times.

[ot]Chet, is inumendo a gay boy band from P.R.?[/ot]

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Um, why are we seeing a 3 year old thread bumped with no post?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Um, why are we seeing a 3 year old thread bumped with no post?
Moderator note:

We must have missed this one when we closed all the open polls a year or so ago. Poll is now closed.