• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Chateau Tranplanner

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Three weeks ago, I wasn't even looking at moving. I didn't particularly like renting, but I didn't think I could afford a house in the City.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I decided on the spur of the moment to stop in at an open house we were passing by (just to be nosy).

A week and a half ago, I contacted a Real Estate Agent.

A week ago, we spent a Saturday morning looking at houses (the open house house had already gone).

5 days ago, we put in a conditional offer on a little bungalow.

3 days ago, we signed the counter-offer, and I got financing secured.

Tomorrow, I do the house inspection, and hopefully sign off the conditions.

I think we lucked out - the housing market is pretty expensive in Toronto right now, but we managed to snag this house for a good price. It needs a fair bit of work, but nothing that can't be handled by ourselves, with some family help. It's small, but it'll be cosy.

And I can ride my bike to work (approx. 8km/5 mi. each way).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The tax roll says it was built in 1939. It has some nice original moulding, and hardwood floors too. Some of the windows are also original, but they need replacing.

It's a corner lot (30'x102'), with a detached garage accessed from the flanking street. The house itself is about 1400 s.f. total (including the basement).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thats a neat looking home. Good luck with the inspection.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Ah welcome to the joys of homeownership .... the kid is just around the corner now.

OMG! It's such a cute house! It looks like a little hobbit house, but just not under a pile of dirt. Congratulations on your impending homeownership and subsequent patronage of Home Depot! :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Downtown said:
OMG! It's such a cute house! It looks like a little hobbit house, but just not under a pile of dirt. Congratulations on your impending homeownership and subsequent patronage of Home Depot! :)
Well, the ceilings in the basement are just barely 6' so I guess you could call it a hobbit house :) Eventually, we'll have the basement dug out...

My wife and I spent most of Saturday afternoon wandering through Home Depot...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Well, the ceilings in the basement are just barely 6' so I guess you could call it a hobbit house :) Eventually, we'll have the basement dug out...

6' total? Meaning if I jumped I'd hit my head?James would surely look like Gandalf in the house! :) Oh, the charm of it all! I love the look, I wish we had older homes in AZ- nothing holds up in the heat.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Nice house... And I hope everything goes well :)

Too bad about the basement though :p only 6'... I'd barely miss the ceiling!

BKM

Cyburbian
I like bungalows! Congrats!

We should have a "post pictures of your house" thread to consolidate 'em all. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
not to _______ on your parade
but am concerned about digging out basement
- un-earthing any buried _____?
- going below footers or foundation?
- level of water table/floodplain?
- digging out by shovel and bucket?

sorry enough ? already

El Feo

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Congrats on your new master, it looks like a great house! You might as well just go ahead and fork over the credit card to HD or Lowe's now, though. The consolation is that, despite the initial shock and pain of buying all the crap you'll need to fix it up, it's actually pretty fun.

God luck on inspection and closing.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Thanks all,

Did the home inspection today...a few minor surprises (I knew the house needed a bit of work), but nothing catastrophic.

As for the basement, I'm 5'10'' myself, and find that I involuntarily hunch over when I'm down there, even though there's a couple of inches clearance for me. My three closest friends are all over 6', so I think we'll be doing most of our entertaining upstairs.

As for digging out, well - I'm not worried about finding anything buried under the floor. We'll make sure to shore up the foundations and footings before starting - I was comtemplating doing it myself, but I think I'll end up getting a contractor in. It's more of a long-term project at any rate.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Seems to me you'd go below footing leval and would be hard to match back in. What about the possibility of raising up the house and adding a course to three to the top of foundation?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Congratulations on the house. Now you can yell things about property values at public meetings ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Seabishop said:
Now you can yell things about property values at public meetings ;)
I'm just waiting for the day I get to yell at the neigbour's kids to "get the hell off my lawn" :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I'm just waiting for the day I get to yell at the neigbour's kids to "get the hell off my lawn" :)
Sweet! Being an ornery, cranky old cuss to the neighbor kids is the best thing about home ownership.

el Guapo

Capitalist
[ot]Just wait until the first drunk neighborhood kid decides to drive up on your lawn. You hear it, then get up and drive around the the neighborhood and find the dirt tracks go straight to his house. You wake up his folks at 4:00 am with the cops on the way. When the cops put the braclets on him (vandalism, curfew and DUI) it is sweet satisfaction watching him beg you to drop the charges. Then you say, "Danny, I've sent younger boys than you to the gas chamber. I didn't want to do it, I felt I owed it to them." That is home owner satifaction in a big big way.[/ot] :)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Now with the the joys of home ownership you will be spending all your free time and money at your local big box, no sense of place, home improvement retail establishment. I just built a home and moved in last weekend and find myself at 'home lowes depot' several times a week. It never ends. Congrats on the home.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Uh oh, you're not going to be one of those lawn-obsessed homeowners out fertilizing and mowing all weekend, are you?! :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mud Princess said:
Uh oh, you're not going to be one of those lawn-obsessed homeowners out fertilizing and mowing all weekend, are you?! :)
No - we're going to tear up most of the front lawn and "naturalize" it (wildflowers, shrubs, etc.). The back garden will have a nice veggie patch, and more flowers. I'm actually going to buy a manual "pushmower" to cut the grass.

kms

Cyburbian
Nice bungalow. Try to look at a book called Outside the Bungalow by Duchscherer and Keister if you want some landscaping ideas, or comfirmation that you are doing it right. :)

You'll love the push mower! No noise or smoke. Theoretically, you can cut grass at 6 AM and not disturb the neighbors.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Great find... get some good landscaping done, and you will have neighbors stopping infront of your place and mentioning to one another how great the place looks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
No - we're going to tear up most of the front lawn and "naturalize" it (wildflowers, shrubs, etc.). The back garden will have a nice veggie patch, and more flowers. I'm actually going to buy a manual "pushmower" to cut the grass.
It is definitely a good idea to naturalize the lawn. I spend an hour or two in spring digging a few weeds from my prairie patch, and never have to do anything more until I rake or burn it in fall. The other gardens need to be weeded about once or twice a year, and that is it. I much prefer that to mowing.

I used to use a manual push mower (still have it) when I had a lawn instead of acreage (hectare-itory). It worked fine as long as the grass was not too high. Once the grass is high you may need to go over the same ground two or three times. It also needs to be sharpened frequently.

donk

Cyburbian
congrats on the new digs.

houses that need work = the never ending sucking sound.

Good luck finding a good push mower, I ended up buying a gas one as all of the poush mowers were way too expensive and whenI tried them did not cut my rotten lawn well.

if you need perenials, let me know I'll give you some hints on where to shop and where to avoid.

As for the foundation, you may be able to dig it out and do an offset footing to support the wall and basement. Not too hard to do, just a pain in the ass.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
All the ladies get excited when someone has a baby. All the guys get excited when somebody buys a house: "Oh, he has an excuse to be at Home Depot all the time"... anyway, keep us posted on developments, post some more pics after you close on the place. It really looks cute.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
All the ladies get excited when someone has a baby. All the guys get excited when somebody buys a house: "Oh, he has an excuse to be at Home Depot all the time"... anyway, keep us posted on developments, post some more pics after you close on the place. It really looks cute.
Actually, I get more excited about people buying houses. :)

I'm glad that you plan to "naturalize" your lawn and plant some wildflowers and shrubs. As far as getting perennials, get to know your new neighbors -- maybe they will divide some of theirs. I just got a bunch of new plants that way.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Congrats on the house! I love little houses like this... I'm jealous!

Edit: Hey donk! Now we can save money on hotel costs if we go to the conference next year! ;)

Belle

Cyburbian
What a gem! can't wait to see the rest of the house--I love the octagonal window.

Congratulations and good luck with the move

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Belle said:
What a gem! can't wait to see the rest of the house--I love the octagonal window.

Congratulations and good luck with the move
Thanks - we signed off on the conditions today. Just have to sign the mortgage papers and close the deal. The next month and a half is going to go by soooo slow.

The octagonal window is nice - but it has a crack in it. My wife's aunt does stained glass so we're thinking about getting her to do us a new window. Maybe do a Frank Lloyd Wright pattern...

I have pics of the interior of the house...but it's pretty bare in there right now.

Nerudite and Donk will have to be very friendly if they both want to crash...the spare bedroom is pretty small ;)