• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cheap linens online?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A question for the throbbing brian ... is there a place online, or a chain that's common in the US, where one can find cheap quality bed linens? I'm talking 250 thread count and up, not the burlap that passes for linen at Wal-Mart.

Oh, another question ... is there such a thing as a high-quality "Bed in a Bag?"

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I bought a sheet set from overstock.com and was happy with them. They were an absurb 1000 thread count, which really just means that they wrinkle easily. But they are soft and there weren't any manufacturing defects I could find. I forget what I paid, but was less than what I had paid in the past at the outlet mall.

I don't know if you have "Tuesday Morning" in your neck of the woods, but I have found good buys on nice sheets there (and got my sister and mom and husband and others hooked on good, high thread count sheets :-D ). Sometimes Macy's has good sales and they have nice stuff.

I don't think you can get a "bed in a bag" that is going to meet the above criteria for high thread count (and I am assuming you want 100% cotton too -- most "bed in a bag" sets that I have seen are part polyester). But I don't understand why you would want a "bed in a bag" anyway. They are generally pretty dull, IMO. You can go by a high end store (like Macy's) and check out the selection of coordinated bedding that designers create. They give you options on what kind of accessories you get and there is a "mix and match" aspect to it that makes it customizable but still coordinated. When it is 75% off (or more), pick up something in colors you like. :)

Or go to the high end store and look how they do it, then drop by an outlet like Tuesday Morning and see if you can recreate the effect you want. :)

PS: If you are picky about how things feel, I wouldn't shop online. I like to touch things. Things have different textures, depending upon the type of cotton used, the way it is woven and other factors. I had a set of sheets that were over 300 threads per square inch and retailed for $800 that I got for $200. They were NOT my favorite set of sheets. The softest sheets I had for my king sized bed were about 270 threads per square inch and cost a good deal less than that set, but I don't remember what I paid. I bought a bunch of 100% cotton blankets in January of this year on steep discount. Two of them had a weave that was acceptable to my oldest son, who is super picky because of his sensory issues. The rest, neither of my kids would touch. Those are, by default, mine.

Picky people should walk around a store and touch everything and only after they decide that it feels good, wonder if it is a color/style they like. :-D

donk

Cyburbian
Not sure if these are "cheap" by your standards, they are in line with mine.

LL Bean

Lands End

They both have no hassle return policies, so if you don't like them after a month and a few washings, then just return them.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I agree with Michele :-c on the Bed in a Bag approach. It all looks too 'packaged' and then you still have to match other sheets with it unless you use the same one all the time. I also doubt you will really get anything of quality. Pick out some good, high threadcount sheets, a great blanket (I prefer Pendelton wools), and a nice spread. It all feels great, and women appreciate class. You can't go wrong when you impress a woman in bed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
I don't know if you have "Tuesday Morning" in your neck of the woods, but I have found good buys on nice sheets there (and got my sister and mom and husband and others hooked on good, high thread count sheets :-D ).
Believe me, that was the first place I looked. However, the Tuesday Morning near my house displayed a sign in the window, saying that they would be closed until their next "sale" on August 16. I've noticed that with a lot of Tuesday Morning stores; they'll close for a month or more at random times.

I know the Bed in a Bag seems cheesy, but at least you get a comforter and a full set of sheets, pillowcases and shams, and everything in there is matched. Every time I go shopping for linens, I can never find separate sheets, pillowcases, and so on that match in a style I like; there's only three pillowcases left when I have four pillows, for instance.

I like Bean and Land's End, but I am looking for good and cheap, not just good. I might check them out, though, since I like their clothes, but I'm not expecting any bargains. I'll also have to check out overstock.com.

Belle

Cyburbian
I've found some good deals on high-thread count sheets at Marshall's and TJ Maxx.

This website (Linensource) has some great comforters & quilts, and once you have the name of a design you like, you could try searching for it on Overstock (for example, the one I want is currently on backstock, but is MUCH cheaper there)

Also, if you currently have a comforter, have you considered just buying a duvet cover to give the room a new look? It's somewhat cheaper than starting over...

Good luck!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I've had good luck at the Crate and Barrel outlet. Duvet cover, sheets, pillow cases, all for less than one set full price, plus they have the funky Danish modern Marimekko sheets, and they're really silky-soft cotten. Not sure if they sell stuff online, but Crate and Barrel has sales periodically.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I agree with donk: Bean's flannel sheets are perfect year-round and while a little more costly, they last longer than others.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
A few months ago I dumped almost $200 on new bedding, it is 400 count sheets, comforter pillow cases, pillows, over sized pillows, throw pillows, all from Kolls (OK… I paid for them, but I have a female friend money to pick something out that would look good in my room)

It was money well spent. They are soft, work well, and I know that I am going have them for a while.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Plannerbabs said:
I've had good luck at the Crate and Barrel outlet.
Outlet? There's a C&B two kilometers from my house, but ... an outlet would be nice.

I might have to check out LL Bean, too.

Someone on another bulletin board pointed me to http://www.bluefly.com, which has designer beands at decent prices. The bedding there is a bit more expensive than on overstock.com, but it's still good stuff.

Dan said:
I know the Bed in a Bag seems cheesy, but at least you get a comforter and a full set of sheets, pillowcases and shams, and everything in there is matched. Every time I go shopping for linens, I can never find separate sheets, pillowcases, and so on that match in a style I like; there's only three pillowcases left when I have four pillows, for instance.
Yeah, but you don't have to have everything MATCH, just coordinate. If it matches, it ends up looking like a cheesy bed-in-a-bag anyway. 8-! Cheap designer trick: Pick one major item -- like a comforter or comforter cover -- in a pattern you like. If it has some stylish coordinates to go with it, pick up what you can that fits your needs. Then fill in with pieces in solid colors (or a simple pattern, like stripes, sometimes works too) that match one or two of the colors in the pattern. You can get two pillow shams in blue and two in...whatever other color works with the patterned piece.

When I shopped the sales at Macy's in January, I picked up a comforter with a colorful patchwork on one side and a plainer green and offwhite pattern on the other. I bought two matching pillow shams and 3 matching throw pillows. There were no matching sheets. I made a pile on one of the display beds and began tossing plain sheets -- some from the bargain bin and some not -- onto the pile. I had to buy pillows and everything because when I threw out my king-sized bed in December, I also ended up throwing out all pillows and, ultimately, giving away all the bedding. Most of what I got out of the bargain bin was something like 75% or more off. But because I had to replace EVERYTHING, I ended up buying some stuff for full price. I still averaged more than 50% off. I spent more than $700 for about $1600 worth of bedding. It all works together and there was enough to give hubby some bedding when we ended up buying two single beds in May. :-D I shouldn't need anything for a long time -- which is a good thing, because I won't have the money for a while, after we separate. :-}

Michele --- committed Hedonist. :f: