• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Check out this groovy house...

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was totally surprised to receive an e-mail yesterday from one of my best friends to let me know that you bought a very cool, eco-friendly house. It's such an interesting house, that I thought I'd share with the rest of you.

This is the house that Brad built. It is a house where rainwater is collected and filtered and used for all household purposes. It is a house that utilizes solar electricity and solar water heating. It is a house that is built with certified sustainably harvested and local 'leftover' wood and utilizes cast earth and strawbale construction. It is a house that uses constructed wetlands as a wastewater treatment system and is equipped with energy efficient appliances. It is a house where an average family could live comfortably without ever knowing they were being environmentally friendly.
Link to Article

One of the reasons that I thought it was especially interesting is that I've always thought of my friend as the consumer-driven type (always had a few cars, motorcycles, jet skis, etc. lying around the house). I guess he's mending his ways. :)

SGB

Cyburbian
Wow! Both environmentally friendly as aesthetically pleasing!

If I run a straight pipe from my septic distribution box down to the wetlands behind our house, would that count? ;)

martini

Cyburbian
That is a nice looking abode. I've got dreams of doing something like that myself oneday. Buying a nice chucnk of land, maybe 4-5 acres(or more) and building a nice modern eco freindly home(solar-passive and power, graywater, with minimal impact upon the land, and cool winding gravel two track driveway that I can plow with my ATV[which is purchased soley for plowing, seriously!])

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Why not support Urban living???

It is a great looking house! I bet it will last longer than most homes too!

BKM

Cyburbian
:-\ Really cool house that kinda fits the style I like. I would love to build a house somewhat like this (although I would still like municipal sewage treatment :) )

BUT, I think I would echo Michealskis. Too often, these earth-friendly houses are located in exurban areas where people "pretend" to live "in the country" on five or ten acre lots twenty miles from the nearest town. Even if they are not urban people, their lifestyle has pretty serious impacts from deliveries, trips to town, etc. "Urban Living" almost always has less environmental impact than living on a semi-rural lot in the fringe of town.

I don't even know if that is the case here-it could be a standard urban or suburban lot. And, not that I have any grounds at all to talk about excessive impacts. Just one of my generic hypocritical rants, at which I am so skilled. It IS a neato house!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
That's impressive...style in conjunction with utility for environmentally sensitive effectiveness.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Wow! Both environmentally friendly as aesthetically pleasing!

If I run a straight pipe from my septic distribution box down to the wetlands behind our house, would that count? ;)

That would give you bonus ratings. :-}