• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Cheesesteak

aengus23

Hey I'm going to be in the City of Brotherly Love over the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. Any thoughts on where I can get a representative sample of the famous Philly Cheesesteak? How about the best cheesesteak?

Any Philly planners in Cyburbia? What don't I want to miss?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Pat's or Jeano's

They are across the street from each other.... BUT stand there, and watch others order before you get in line.

biscuit

Cyburbian
MMMMMMMMMM....Cheesesteak.

Oh Lord, My Doctor has put me on a cholesterol diet and I'm so hungry for greasy fat cheesesteak like food. I've been on this damn diet for less tan two weeks and I've already dropped 7 pounds - I need some real food. Maybe I'll take a road trip out to Philly and treat myself.

Jen

Cyburbian
Philly cheese steak mmmm

BUt the best is genuine sticky cinnimon buns. My GP's used to airmail a package for Easter, from some North Philly bakery now long gone.

donk

Cyburbian
The only place for sticky buns is in Alma, NB at Fundy National Park.

If you ever mention you are going to visit the park you'll be able to pay for your trip by scalping buns.

A quick search revealed way too many sites to list that praise the Alma Sticky Bun.

A silly question, can you order a cheesesteak without cheese?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
michaelskis said:
Pat's or Jeano's
While probably the most well known as the "birthplace of the cheesesteak"... I've always found Pat's to be overrated. It's kind of fun to take someone who's never had one to both places, buy one from each, and split them to see which one they like, though.

But, if I had just ONE choice... Tony Luke's, on Oregon Avenue.

http://www.tonylukes.com/

Dalessandro's and Chink's are good, too, if you're in their area...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Jen said:
Philly cheese steak mmmm

BUt the best is genuine sticky cinnimon buns. My GP's used to airmail a package for Easter, from some North Philly bakery now long gone.

Not going to comment on "sticky buns" No...I'm going to exhibit will power for a change...not going to comment on "brotherly love"...No, I'm not going to take the low road and degrade another thread.......................to late. Sorry. ;)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
oooh, a cheesesteak for lunch. Sounds really good right now. And beer. Ooooooh, beer and cheesesteak.

Sue

My vote: Jim’s, 400 South Street

In my opinion the best thing about Phila-area cheesesteaks....The best thing....that sets it apart...is the roll. mmmmm, Amoroso hoagie rolls are the best!

The bread, pretzels, pizza dough in the Phila. area are sooo good! They just aren't as good anywhere else in the country. I've pondered this for many years and the only reason I can think of is that it has something to do with the water.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
AHHHH All this talk about Beer, Prezels, and Cheesestakes.... I am crazy hungry now...

HOW do you take your cheesestake?

For me, Chichen, Loaded with Cheese Mushrooms, Onions, and tobasco.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
michaelskis said:
AHHHH All this talk about Beer, Prezels, and Cheesestakes.... I am crazy hungry now...

HOW do you take your cheesestake?

For me, Chichen, Loaded with Cheese Mushrooms, Onions, and tobasco.
I'm admittedly boring when it comes to cheesesteaks....peppers, sometimes onions, and nothing else.

I fondly remember my lone Philly experience with cheesesteaks....and michaelskis is right....make sure you watch a local order one before getting into line!