• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Cheesy local commercials

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm visiting the 'rents in Buffalo right now. I swear to God, Buffalo has the worst locally produced commercials of any metropolitan area in the United States. About 95% of all local commercials fall into one of the following categories:

1) Personal injury attorneys. Seems like half of Buffalo's workers are on disability, judging from the frequency of these commercials.

2) Anything with a voiceover by a local, relatively famous AM radio disk jockey from the 1960s or 1970s. Does every other commercial really need a voiceover by Stan Roberts or Danny Neverath?

3) Italian-American auto dealers who talk and act like they're Sopranos cast members. "MINGIA, IT'S HUUUUUUGE!"

4) Anything with a cheesy soft jingle, performed by subpar studio musicians. You even hear jingles for businesses that shouldn't have them, like ...

"Niaaaagara Colostomy Supplyyyyy ...
We caaaare a-bout youuuuu!"

or ...

"We're theeeere when you need uuuuus ...
Frontieeeeer Cane and Walkeeeeeer!"

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Back home in New Orleans, I realy thought the commercials for ramsey's jewelers were bad. Came on the radio all the time. Most of them consisted of the two brothers reading stilted dialog to each other. Their friend, sandro, also figure prominently. To quote sandro, "malakem shalom, steeeevieeee!"

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dan, you probably remember the Jimmy Bryan Toyota commercials, with the blowsy redhead and the dumb little dog.

Then we have the guy selling the disabled/elderly scooters who obviously went to the "Sincere Pastor School of Acting"; always holds his fingertips in the steeple position.

Finally, Appliance Direct. What can I say? I woman who always wears the same plaid dress, slamming down the doors of top loading clothes washers as she barrels down the aisle. "Only $199 dollars!!!". And the little Oriental girl. Then the finale: " If you didn't buy Direct, you PAID TOO MUCH!!!" (Recently voted "Most Annoying Commercial" by Orlando Sentinel readers...)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Cardi's Furniture is a local chain with 3 brothers who have turned themselves into local celebrities with their commercials which always feature "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins. They actually sign autographs and make appearances. The worse thing is that they just ripped off the commercials for Jordan's Furniture 40 miles north in Boston.

OT: Does everyone else have the commercial where the evil insurance adjusters spit out coffee and/or choke because they hear the name of a certain lawyer? - Here its D'Oliveira & Morgan, in Boston its Salomone & Salomone. A friend has seen it in Buffalo too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It is here in Wisconsin as well. I don't remember the attorney's name.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Here's an ad for SR-22 car insurance that used to (still does?) run on the Fox, UPN, WB and independent channels late at night in the Chicago area (SR-22 insurance is for those who could never hope to be insured by any company with any kind of a decent rating; since auto insurance is mandatory in Illinois, they had to create a whole new class of insurance for the otherwise un-insurable)

Two young women are shown riding along in a car (these two "actresses" have less acting talent than Madonna). All of a sudden, there's a loud bump. The passenger says, "Oh no! Do you have insurance?" They jump out of the car and there is this guy sitting on the roof in a really cheesy eagle costume. "It's Eagle Man!" Eagle Man squats down and "lays" an egg. The egg breaks open with some SR-22 forms inside! "Oh, look at those low rates!" exclaim the ladies. Then comes the voiceover for Eagle Insurance, followed by several sentences in Spanish.

Is this monstrosity still running in Chicago? Oh, and how 'bout those Cubs, huh?

ilikefish0 said:
Back home in New Orleans, I realy thought the commercials for ramsey's jewelers were bad. Came on the radio all the time. Most of them consisted of the two brothers reading stilted dialog to each other. Their friend, sandro, also figure prominently. To quote sandro, "malakem shalom, steeeevieeee!"
What about the Frankie & Johnny's Furniture commercials? They featured two old men (one of which has since passed away) and a younger salesman. They were so incredibly cheesy. The dialogue went something like this:

Frankie: "We have new sofa sets on sale!!!"
Poor woman: "I'm on welfare and can't afford a new sofa set."
Frankie: "You gotta see the Special Man!"
Johnny, the Special Man: "Let her have it!!!"
Additional salesman: "With nooooooooooo problem"

Then Frankie does this really stupid dance singing "I say I say who say I say let her have it" and then the camera flashes back to the Special Man "Let her have it.." then the camera flashes to the other salesman "with Nooooooooooooo problem."

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Why does every city have bad auto commercials?

In Columbus, we have this terrible auto saleman that features a guitar in every commercial. I've never actually seen him play it. He just tries to work it in. I have no idea why.

And do auto dealerships really need to cast their wives and kids in the commercials?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
cowley.11 said:
Why does every city have bad auto commercials?
Its the down side of "locally owned business" that us planners like so much.;) You can't blame them for low budgets but the cheesiness is all their fault. I'm not sure whether or not to blame car dealers for their indecipherable local accents or not - especially in New England when they can't even say "used cah."

BKM

Cyburbian
We have "Cal Worhtington" who sounds like the old Earl Scheib commercials. He's a 60-something gentleman who wears a cowboy hat. His commercials just consist of him reading at a breakneck pace all of his "specials" on used cars.

The, there is a window dealer/painting firm in the Bay Area, Anderson. There shtick is him reading their phone number in a really cheesy growl.

But, nothing beats AM radio, of course.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
What about the Frankie & Johnny's Furniture commercials? They featured two old men (one of which has since passed away) and a younger salesman. They were so incredibly cheesy. The dialogue went something like this:

Frankie: "We have new sofa sets on sale!!!"
Poor woman: "I'm on welfare and can't afford a new sofa set."
Frankie: "You gotta see the Special Man!"
Johnny, the Special Man: "Let her have it!!!"
Additional salesman: "With nooooooooooo problem"

Then Frankie does this really stupid dance singing "I say I say who say I say let her have it" and then the camera flashes back to the Special Man "Let her have it.." then the camera flashes to the other salesman "with Nooooooooooooo problem."
You're right. That commercial is cheesy, but I still watch it.

Another local commercial that is very cheesy is, "Boudreaux's Butt Paste," which advertises a rash ointment for a baby's butt.

Floridays

Cyburbian
The law firms are the worst! Always looking for a new angle. The latest...."yes YOU can be compensated if you or a "loved one" have suffered from bed sores."
And of course the auto dealer commercials...one has a version of a a dealer and his "Mini Me," who proceeds to smash a sledgehammer through the windshield and the body of a car.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
With the on going price war between the big box supermarkets here... we got plenty!

One of the cheesiest commercials on the radio is about a web portal of the city with the mandatory crappy electronical music in the background... yuck...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Two businesses with cheesy commercials come to mind in Canada... one is United Furniture Warehouse (I think they are nationwide, or at least throughout the west). In B.C., the most annoying/cheesiest commercial I remember is Budget Brake and Muffler.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
One of the worst around here is where this chick dresses up as Little Bo Peep to sell mattresses (the common element being sheep of course). She has the most shrill voice I've ever heard on television. When that commercial comes on, I have to turn my stereo down for fear of blowing a tweeter (sorry tweeters).
Add to that the name of the place, in her voice, which she says about 10 times in a 30-second spot: Mattress Mattress, the Mattress Place.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
An Old Thread Lives!

Not sure why I resurected this old thread. Probably just the occasional bad local commercial. Time to add my three cents.....

Brondes Ford in Toledo always did really bad commercials in the 1960's. Don and Phil Brondes would take hammers and smash the cars and break the windows. "We're smasing prices here at Brondes Ford!"

Perry Chair: A local disc jockey (he's been in the area since the early 1960's) did about a decade worth of television commercials for Perry Furniture. He would be dressed as a chair, with just his head moving. His body was a recliner of some sort. "Hi.....Perry Chair here, to tell you about our low prices on recliners."

Nowadays it's "We're bowling for green, here at Bowling Green Jeep." The woman in the commercial rolls a green bowling ball in the grass out in front of the dealership. How clever. :-|

Finally.....for years the local big furniture outlet, Banner Mattress & Furniture, had radio commercials with some guy named John. "Hi, John at Banner Mattress. You call tell that Toledoans are loving our red tag sale. They just keep coming in." In the background you can hear the sounds of people talking and what sounds like a very busy furniture showroom. Sounded authentic.

Then, on a trip up north, advertising some furniture store in Cheboygan (or someplace up thataway), the same schtick, with the same background sounds. Years later I read that this guy did these same furniture company ads for stores all over the country, using the same background tapes.

Bear

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Downer's furniture (from Champaign?), where you always get a free onion. They had the most annoying commercials ever. Lots of screaming, talking fast, poor production. I think they were shot with a camcorder.

passdoubt

Cyburbian
DC has some pretty good local ads.

Eastern Motors' jingle is so legendary that they have an mp3 of it on their website to try to satisfy customer demand. There's a club remix too.

There are some videos of some of the more famous ads on the website too.

Tell me that's not catchy!

At Eastern Motors... your job's your credit.
At Eastern Motors... your job's your credit.

Let Eastern Motors... put you in a car today
Let Eastern Motors... finance it all the way

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I think you can tell a lot about a city by the local commercials.

When I was back in Buffalo this weekend, my guesstimate was that half of all commercials were for lawyers or auto dealers. In Cleveland, while you'll see lawyer and car dealer ads, they're not aired with anything close to the frequency I've seen in Buffalo.

In El Paso, I saw tons of commercials for drug rehab and private mental hospitals. Never saw such commercials anywhere else I lived.

EVERY commercial for a locally owned restaurant in El Paso - EVERY ONE -- went like this

* Show an exterior image of the restaurant building, either in a strip plaza or surrounded by an empty parking lot.
* Pan around the empty dining room.
* Show plates filled with various menu items. Have the narrator say their names as they appear across the screen, in case the viewer doesn't know what's being shown is actually called "steak" or "enchiladas."
* Show servers putting down plates in front of a family of four; thirtysomething husband and wife, and a boy and girl that are usually between ages 9 and 12. The family is usually white, even though El Paso is 70%-75% Hispanic, and the restaurant being advertised more often than not has a name that begins with "El", "La", "Los" or "Las." I think they use the same family in most commercials.
* Show each member of the family eating, while the voiceover talent drones on.
* Show the entire family pause, look at each other simultaneously, all nod and smile in approval, and then resume eating.
* Show the building again. If there's a pole sign, show that instead. Display the address, and have the narrator say it too.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Chicago is the king of cheesy local commercials. Some may even be known outside of Chicagoland.

800-588-2300 EMPIRE

773-202-LUNA

Rockenbach Chevrolet, we'll save you more
Rockenbach Chevrolet, your superstore
We got Chevys and Chevys and Chevys
In Grayslake, you'll save a lot at
Rockenback Chevrolet

(in very monotone voice - think Ben Stein): Hi, I'm Attorney Peter Francis Geraci. We're the law firm you trust to get YOU out of debt.

Or, Victory Auto, where they use the same 30 year old clip of somebody opening up their car, and the car door falls off. I still laugh when I see it.

Or, Busse Car Wash...where they sing along to the "Car Wash" song

Or, Bob Rohhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrman Chevrolet...where a cartoon lion roars the name

There's also another car dealer commerical, where they go: "Where you'll always save more money!!"

Or Eagle Man Car Insurance, where somebody dressed up like an eagle hatches a big egg, and these two corny people say "Look at those low rates!"

Or, Tile Outlet...2444 West Fullerton in Chicago, just 3 blocks west of the Kennedy Expressway

Or the Floor Store N' More, where the camera crew tries to catch the elusive owner on camera

I could go on forever.

donk

Cyburbian
I think the former Mayor of Toronto, Mel Lastman's furniture company Bad Boy is probably the worst in Toronto

The website is equally bad, or even worse

http://www.nooobody.com/

On car dealers, the old Al Palidini ads were pretty bad, "Any pal of Al is a pal of mine". Scary thing is he went on to be the provincial Minister of Transportation.

chukky

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I

4) Anything with a cheesy soft jingle, performed by subpar studio musicians. You even hear jingles for businesses that shouldn't have them, like ...

"Niaaaagara Colostomy Supplyyyyy ...
We caaaare a-bout youuuuu!"

or ...

"We're theeeere when you need uuuuus ...
Frontieeeeer Cane and Walkeeeeeer!"
Personal favourite was Premier Pete's re-election jingle ...

"Build the dreaam
Ke-ep the te-am...
Keep Queensland MOV-iiiiiingk"

Accompanied by said Premier's smiling mug variously under a hard hat, gesturing at bridges and smiling at babies.

Sadly enough, we bought it.

Hceux

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Two businesses with cheesy commercials come to mind in Canada... one is United Furniture Warehouse (I think they are nationwide, or at least throughout the west).
Nerudite, I have often wonder what territory does the United Furniture Warehouse cover because the three times that I have moved in the last six years, I have continue to see this awful United Furniture Warehouse commercial. I sometimes feel that this company is following me, but now you have shared that it's out West, I'm wondering if we Canadians can't escape this terribly cheesy commercial. It's been the same one for years! +o(

Maister

Chairman of the bored
We must be spoiled 'round the Zoo, with the exception of the usual local auto dealer ads, I just don't see that many bad local ads - maybe I need to watch more tv.

I don't believe that a low budget necessarily makes for a bad ad any more than a low budget equals a bad movie. Yeah, most low budget ads are pretty unimaginative, but I've seen some pretty creative low budget ads in my day too.

I've often wondered how my career would have fared if I turned my energies to writing ads. In theory it sounds like it could be sorta fun and a potentially nice creative outlet, but I'll bet the reality is way more mundane (like the dumb guys you're making the ads for end up not getting the jokes or feel they're too offensive or some such)

jmello

Cyburbian
We are completely flabbergasted by the shear number of car commercials down here, both on the radio and television. There is one radio stattion that runs nothing but car ads, at least it seems that way. There are also more car dealers in this small city than there are in the entire state of Massachusetts. I swear, people must buy a new car every few months here. Or, all these dealers are just fronts for something else.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hceux said:
Nerudite, I have often wonder what territory does the United Furniture Warehouse cover because the three times that I have moved in the last six years, I have continue to see this awful United Furniture Warehouse commercial.
[deep_voice]United Furniture Warehouse (dum dum) [/deep_voice]

Along with the incessant auto dealer and lawyer commercials, Buffalonians also have to put up with excruiatingly dull Canadian ads that air on Buffalo stations. Not only are Buffalo's television viewers hit with commercials for US chains that are everywhere in the country but Buffalo (Lowe's up until last year, Chipotle, Papa John's, Sonic, etc), but they're also subject to those for The Brick, United Furniture Warehouse, Leon's Furniture, Canadian Tire, Petro-Canada, Harvey's, and other Canadian chains that aren't even south of the border. Half of the commercials on Channel 29 are Canadian; they even air Canadian versions of commercials for products and stores that are found on both sides of the border. (The Canadian "let's go up to the cottage and get drunk with our buddies" version of Molson and Labatts commercials instead of the American "let's party with pretty women and get drunk" version, car commercials announcing fuel economy in in liters/100km followed by "available at your Southern Ontario Mazz-duh dealer." and so on.)

I'm surprised National Film Board of Canada shorts don't air on Channel 29 too. Oh, wait ... they're on WNED/17, the local PBS station. Do Canadians watch that much American television?

BTW, a special gift for all those expat Buffalonians out there:

http://www.tellusmore.net/buffalo-ny/airportplazajewelers/airportplazajewelers.htm

You're welcome. :D

jmello

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
Nerudite, I have often wonder what territory does the United Furniture Warehouse cover...
I have the same concern regarding The Law Offices of Mark E. Salomone. His ads seem to have followed us to NC, even though his offices are in Springfield and Worcester, MA (also capitals of disability).

TOFB

Cyburbian
savemattoon said:
Downer's furniture (from Champaign?), where you always get a free onion. They had the most annoying commercials ever. Lots of screaming, talking fast, poor production. I think they were shot with a camcorder.
I thought of this immediately when I saw the thread. This is it Furniture, or as we call it, This is $hi+ Furniture. The guy, "Mike N." is a first class a55hole. Notorious sign ordinance violator. Last I saw, his kids are in the commercials. Scary he has reproduced.:victory:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
BUMP

Maybe it's because we are in a state-wide Depression, but the last few months has seen a frightening rise in the number of really bad local commercials. We never used to have that problem. Perhaps budgets are not what they once were or all the good ad agencies packed up and left, but for whatever reason I don't think I've seen or heard a single imaginative local ad since before Christmas. And we're starting to get a lot of those soft-jingle types that Dan mentioned upthread (Centre Medical Supplyyyy Weeeee're there foooor youuuuu....)

On the plus side I haven't heard a single local used car ad on the radio or tv in that same time (still see in print). Maybe that's a bad thing. Oh, one other advertising-related phenomenon I've noticed is the number of COUPONS that run in the weekend paper and the number of companies that print those coupon inserts (Smart Ads, etc) has exploded during this period.

Has anyone else noticed a sharp decline in the quality of local commercials since the economy tanked?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My area also seems to have it's share of cheesy car commercials. Another one is shown as part of the warms up before a movie starts at the local threater. It's for a local convenience store franchise. It's shows a young woman writing in the windshield of a truck of a former boyfriend. The real owner of the truck and says "Mame, that's my truck" He goes into the convenience store and buys the stuff to clean off what was written. The last scene shows the young lady moving on to the next truck and writing on it.

When I was growing up, the cheesy ad was for empire carpet. Tod this day I can remember the phone number of the place because of the jingle.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
When I was growing up, the cheesy ad was for empire carpet. Tod this day I can remember the phone number of the place because of the jingle.
588-2300 Empiiiiiiire! It was effective wasn't it? Anyone remember the ads they used to run for Mutual of Omaha on 'Wild Kingdom'? 1-800-228-9800 I haven't seen one of those ads for probably 35 years yet it's seared into my memory.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Indianapolis has it's share of bad commericals. The king of bad commercials is Don's Guns. Don looks like a mix of Col. Sanders and a mafia boss. He ends each commerical with "I don't want to make any money, I just loooove to sell/rent guns!", followed by a creepy laugh/cackle. Here is a YouTube clip of Don:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmauUQtSy0

Another "gem" in Indianapolis advertising is Martin Fine Furniture. Martin's commericals have featured him as a baseball player, an astronaut, a pirate walking the plank. most of his commericals look like they are from 1985 public access. Here are a few links to some of Martin's "classic" commericals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89SrcCHuI90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRY_lchC9DI&NR=1

We also have Bob Rohrrrrrrrrmannn!, a local car dealer as well as the wonderful 588-2300 Empiiiiiire!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
One of the websites I visit regularly has a feature on bad commercials....

a few examples:

[youtube]B9m7p5jseDA[/youtube] [youtube]d3ZAHxCcnXs[/youtube]

[youtube]c87WcEnb_h0[/youtube] [youtube]6KgWjh3faKo[/youtube]

And, yes, they featured the Martin's too...

[youtube]AbNXWn0a7kM[/youtube]

zman

Cyburbian
For those that have lived on Colorado's Front Range (particularly Denver Metro up to Fort Collins) we were spared for a while...but now Dealin' Doug Moreland is back with his low quality and annoying commercials after re-purchasing a majority share in his car dealerships. :-c

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Kind of off-topic but a pet peeve of mine is when local commercials greatly underestimate the distance from the city to their suburban location in order to make visiting them seem convenient. You know, like "We're conveniently located in Pleasantville, only 15 minutes from Elm City!" when everyone knows Pleasantville is at least 45 minutes away.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Kind of off-topic but a pet peeve of mine is when local commercials greatly underestimate the distance from the city to their suburban location in order to make visiting them seem convenient. You know, like "We're conveniently located in Pleasantville, only 15 minutes from Elm City!" when everyone knows Pleasantville is at least 45 minutes away.
How about when the voice-over mispronounces the name of the community in which the business is located? :r: That happens here a lot. It's a sure sign that the commercial is produced out-of-town. You'd think the business would flag this sort of thing.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Ad agencies have started to try to skirt around that here in Texas. They won't actually give an actual minute number. Instead they'll say, "...just minutes from [insert town, landmark, or intersection]."

Duh. Everything is minutes from somewhere. A car dealership in Georgetown (about 25-30 miles north of Austin) is about 30 minutes from Austin on I-35. Then again, Oklahoma City is also "just minutes" north of Austin on I-35. 360 minutes, to be exact. That's 6 hours. :p

DVD

Cyburbian
I like the cheesy lawyer commercials best. When I lived in Virginia, there was Lowell the "Hammer" stanley, and he'll hammer them for all their worth. I always wonder if the other lawyers and judges make fun of the guy.
In Phoenix we have a couple of guys (from Las Vegas and not licensed to practice law in Arizona themselves) that look like child molestors. My only thought is keep my kids away from those guys.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There's a jewelry store here in metro Atlanta that has, at times, promoted itself in its radio spots as "an easy 20-minute drive from anywhere in the metro area."

Um...I'm in the same general area of the same county as that store, and most days it wouldn't be "an easy 20-minute drive" for me, much less anyone in a different part of greater Hotlanta.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
A Cape Cod favorite is the now at least 25 year old ad for Tiki Port in Hyannis, with the fat mustachioed guy who jumps in his Yugo, arrives at the counter and barely has the time to pat the brass Bhudda on the belly when:

Surprise! The man at the counter beckons. Mustachioed man gestures back: "For me?" Counter guy nods and Mustache man is on his way with his surprisingly prompt food.

Sung:
Tiki Port
Tiki Port
For a taste of the orient
Tiki Port

wahday

Cyburbian
We have a new and used appliance store here called "Baillos." Its a Spanish surname, so its pronounced "buy - yos."

The theme song for the place is quite odd, though, and plays on an understanding that the double l "y" sound in Spanish is actually a type of "L."

It goes
singer: Did you say "low?"
chorus: Baillo! Baillo!
singer: Did you say "low?"
chorus: Baillo! Baillo!

To understand it, you have to think Spanish and see that they are trying to equate the name with "buy low." Get it?! It only took me 5 years to understand this, and my father speaks Spanish...

Elsewhere, we have Linda Beaver touting Beaver Toyota in Santa Fe.

We have a wonderfully catchy tune for "unpainted furniture" which I put to the words "Unpainted furniture. Furniture without paint. Unpainted furniture, its furniture that's without paint!"

Isleta Casino is "seven lucky minutes south on I-25"

My favorite local commercial though is from New Jersey (I grew up south of Philly, just across the Commodore Barre bridge). Its for Atlantic transmission. To really get the full effect, one needs to evoke to Philadelphia/south Jersey/Chesapeake Bay/Baltimore accent.

The commercial opens with close-up of a model car sitting on a table and the voice-over: "have you ever been trapped?..." and then a hand comes down and places an upside-down plastic fried clam basket on the car. No kidding - its that high-tech. It goes on to say "..where rebuilding your transmission turns out to be double the price you were quoted? This can't happen at Atlantic Transmission - Hi, I'm the boss's daughter..."

Oh, oh, and anyone from Philly will know Krass Brothers - Store of the Stars. This commercial says it all (for the record, he's saying "if you didn't buy your clothes at Krass brothers, you've got bad news!"). The best part was that the owner had a lime green Rolls Royce that was always parked in front of the store. Cause those clothes weren't tacky enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9bIbje2_hk

Great stuff.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I thought Buffalo was the nation's center of cheap commercials.

[youtube]DBFeULHMO00[/youtube]

[youtube]zBceoYpvFto[/youtube]

[youtube]kMgAOKhpV9Q[/youtube]

[youtube]_ynQCfBzUZQ[/youtube]

[youtube]Xm8PGdBI3eg[/youtube]

[youtube]c9qT05vX9Ns[/youtube]

Then I moved to Orlando.

[youtube]c-YXzZkfSYA[/youtube]

[youtube]n3Hl6PrK46Q[/youtube]

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
588-2300 Empiiiiiiire! It was effective wasn't it? Anyone remember the ads they used to run for Mutual of Omaha on 'Wild Kingdom'? 1-800-228-9800 I haven't seen one of those ads for probably 35 years yet it's seared into my memory.
The other regional ad was for Menards, when they were still a Michigan and Chicago thing. "Save big money at Menards" is permanently stuck in my head.:r::not:

Veloise

Cyburbian
The other regional ad was for Menards, when they were still a Michigan and Chicago thing. "Save big money at Menards" is permanently stuck in my head.:r::not:
:8: Mucho dinero
[---] mucho dinero
[------] a Menards :8:

version en español

I've heard this only a couple of times, not enough to recall all the words

newbieplanner

Cyburbian
When I lived in Virginia, there was Lowell the "Hammer" stanley, and he'll hammer them for all their worth. I always wonder if the other lawyers and judges make fun of the guy.
Apparently, he likes to hammer doctor's. He allegedly assaulted a doctor in the same office building about a year ago. If they didn't snicker before, I'm sure they do now. The actor that played Lowell the Hammer Stanley used to be in a similiar commercial with lawyers in Richmond.

The hands down worst commercial in Hampton Roads is the Auto Connection used car sales joint. They are the cheesiest commercials ever and the owner uses his dog Mack-Mack the talking dog in every commercial! Every single one is cheesier than the next. They've had the owner (a fat smarmy looking guy) dress in a short skirt and tube top parodying a popular pop song, he's also had sprayed on abs and dressed as Rick Flair. It's god-awful.

boiker

Cyburbian
Nobody from Chicagoland has mentioned Bob Rohrman and his car commercials?
Freaking awful.

I also remember Silozi-Ettleson Chevrolet at the corner of York and Roosevelt Roads in Elmhurst......

(anyone care to finish :) )

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Oh yes the annoying Menards jingle is still alive a well in the upper Midwest. I got to see these commercials when I lived in Minnesota and now in Indiana. Damn jingle gets stuck in your head. They also have a Christmas version, "Warm Seasons Greetings from us all at Menards!"

Nobody from Chicagoland has mentioned Bob Rohrman and his car commercials?
Freaking awful.
Indianapolis is also subjected Bob Rohrrrrman's terrible ads since we have several of his dealerships down here. The latest ad of his features his "outakes" from his other ads. Not really sure what the point of the ad is?

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

When I lived in California, the late night used car salesman shouting about the really good deal and drive right down and buy now. They would jump up and down on the hood, the roof and the trunk, beat on large pan with sticks, it was unbeliveable, but they did get your attention.:lmao: Yes they would sell you a car at three in the morning. One of my brother in laws made very serious money selling car insurance to people who bought cars at three in the morning.:lmao:

How ever I never felt the need to run out and buy a car at that hour of the morning or buy car insurance from that brother in law:D:lmao:

Rygor

Cyburbian
I'm in Urbana so I know of what you speak.

Other bad local commercials and jingles in Central Illinois:

Mack's Recycling
Tatman's Collision Repair
Marketview Car Wash & Lube (radio)
Taffy's ("It's Suuuupergood!")
Omni Prosthetics and Orthotics (radio)
Busey Bank ("Whadda you do...Busey Busey!")