• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Cheesy local commercials

Rygor

Cyburbian
The other regional ad was for Menards, when they were still a Michigan and Chicago thing. "Save big money at Menards" is permanently stuck in my head.:r::not:
I used to think it went "Shave Big Monkeys, Shave Big Monkeys, When you Shop Menards!". That would be much funnier if it were true.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
We have "Cal Worhtington" who sounds like the old Earl Scheib commercials. He's a 60-something gentleman who wears a cowboy hat. His commercials just consist of him reading at a breakneck pace all of his "specials" on used cars.
Cal did that crazy stunt plane commercial. Did you know he was a WWII B-17 pilot? He was in the bomber group that did the first daylight run over Berlin! Even odder, I heard of him (Never lived in SoCal) when I watched Into the Night with Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer! Goldbum has insomnia, and in one scene is watching that Cal commercial...

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Nobody from Chicagoland has mentioned Bob Rohrman and his car commercials? I
Thanks boiker for dredging up that painful memory Bob Roaaaaaarman:not::-c:r:. RCP is right, they had them in the Indy area as well, so I got to hear them in both places.:-{

DVD

Cyburbian
Cal did that crazy stunt plane commercial. Did you know he was a WWII B-17 pilot? He was in the bomber group that did the first daylight run over Berlin! Even odder, I heard of him (Never lived in SoCal) when I watched Into the Night with Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer! Goldbum has insomnia, and in one scene is watching that Cal commercial...
Cal is the best, if you need a car go see Cal, and the commercials always had his dog spot, you never knew what kind of animal his dog would be today. I loved watching those.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Cal is the best, if you need a car go see Cal, and the commercials always had his dog spot, you never knew what kind of animal his dog would be today. I loved watching those.
"If you need a better car... Go see Cal

For the best deal by far... Go see Cal

If you want your payments low..If you want to save some dough..

GO SEE CAL! GO SEE CAL! GO SEE CAL!"

And yes, he did have dealerships in northern california (specifically sacramento) , although he no longer owns them anymore in the Sacramento region. BTW does anyone know of the annoying "Computer show and sale" cheesy commercials "with prices so low they blow the stores away" fame? It featured a clip of a T2 video game. I think they used the same commercial over and over again for 10 plus years? Just wondering.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[youtube]c87WcEnb_h0[/youtube]
Gotta' love the redneckish smokes-two-packs-a-day accent on the "bang bang" woman

[youtube]w0f8IlB2D60[/youtube]

Another one from Alabama ...

[youtube]FJ3oHpup-pk[/youtube]

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
When I was in San Antonio last month for vacation I saw some of the worst lawyer commercials I had even seen. Loud mouth attorney with a blurry Texas flag as a back drop and a catch phrase of "I Hammered 'Em for ...". This YouTube link is actually from Houston, but is similar to his commercials in San Antonio.

[youtube]QylMNrQ2s0o[/youtube]

Rygor

Cyburbian
Anybody from Chicago has to remember the Eagle Man commercials. Those were the cheesiest ever. This one was the best.

[youtube]f_y1xfzV8dM[/youtube]

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Awesome find Rygor. I love the 1980's hair and the eagle erm "laying the egg." Kinda strange considering he is Eagle MAN, but I guess were not going for factual accuracy. :D

Rygor

Cyburbian
Awesome find Rygor. I love the 1980's hair and the eagle erm "laying the egg." Kinda strange considering he is Eagle MAN, but I guess were not going for factual accuracy. :D
And the excellent acting is just gravy.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bumping this thread, to bring you the worst of Upstate.

Here's one from 1965 for the long-defunct Iroquois Brewery in Buffalo. Apparently, nobody knew how to pour beer then. "Saaaaaay, sonny boy, how's a tall cold glass of foam sound?"

Can a booster commercial make a city look worse? Ask the folks in Utica.

Syracuse has appallingly bad commercials for a city its size.

Nothing beats Buffalo's malaise years for bad ads, though.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This guy is currently practicing law in Fort Worth. After achieving internet fame, he actually got free advertising courtesy of Taco Bell, during the Super Bowl in 2016. If you live in Fort Worth, you recognize and and have probably been to the locations in the ads.

My personal favorite:

He leaves an out-take in this one. And it has a puppy!

Not sure what he was thinking there, but I still laugh at it

Gotta love the Christmas commercial

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Syracuse, in my opinion, has the worst local commercials considering its broadcast market size. So many of the commercials are from the kinds of businesses that wouldn't be able to afford more than a couple of commercials on a dying AM radio station in any other market.

Here's a few examples:

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
In South Georgia, there are far too many commercials where people play up a deep country accent and have stupid little quips that I'm assuming are supposed to be funny.

The one that comes to mind first -- "Ain't nothin' to it but to do it" -- why is this statement supposed to make me want to buy a car?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The one that comes to mind first -- "Ain't nothin' to it but to do it" -- why is this statement supposed to make me want to buy a car?
Because it rhymes! And it's well known that when people are exposed to rhyming sounds it, um, makes them subconsciously want to buy cars. Yeah, that's it.