• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cheney Drops 'F Bomb' on Senate Floor

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Anger managment at its best.

Using profanity on the Senate floor while the Senate is session is against the rules. But the Senate was technically not in session at the time and the normal rules did not apply, a Senate official said.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/24/cheney.leahy/index.html

;-)
The FCC declined to comment on whether a fine would be given to to the Vice President because of the connection between FCC Commissioner Michael Powell and his dad who is in the Bush Administration. "Why would I want to fine somebody who works with my dad, when I have better things to do like hang out with Mickey Mouse in Las Vegas and fine the Howard Stern Show?
Disclaimer, the last quote was made up.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm shocked. Dick Cheney has always seemed like such a big-hearted and well tempered kind of fellow. I be that wussy, liberal/commi Yankee Lehey made the whole story up ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moral-right, compassionate conservative....yeah right :-D

boiker

Cyburbian
left...right.. it doesn't matter. As an elected official you are expected by the public to adhere to much higher ettiquette and moral standards.

Looks like little Dickey needs a time-out.

spelling, grammer and punct are all probably bad.. forgive me.. my brain doesn't care today.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I don't care that he said it. I am sure worse things have been uttered on the Senate floor. I thought Dick Chaney was an a-hole before the incident, so it really doesn't change my opinion of him.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Good for him! It shows that he is a real person, and is more worried about doing the right thing than saying the right thing.

Now tell me that you have never dropped the f-bomb and I will call you a lier.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I don't care that he said it. I am sure worse things have been uttered on the Senate floor.
I don't care either, but at the same time you have the FCC going on witch hunts for indecency. Total reform is needed. To bad it wasn't on live radio.

For some reason I am going off on the FCC today. Maybe I just need some coffee ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Good for him! It shows that he is a real person, and is more worried about doing the right thing than saying the right thing.

Sure I've dropped an f-bomb in the past....but never in a place that was inappropriate, like say, the Senate floor.

Poor choice of words, but it's the type of thing I'd expect from someone like Cheney.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Must have been a gliche in his programming, because I saw last week on the front page of a reputable supermarket tabloid that Dick Cheney is a robot.

Cirrus

Cyburbian
"Returning dignity to the presidency" indeed.

What a major league ass hole. Big time.

michaelskis said:

Have I ever dropped the F-Bomb in a meeting?
Have I ever dropped the F-Bomb on a co-worker?

OK - so even if you don't want to consider cheney and leahey "co-workers", have I ever told the neighborhood coalition president to go F himself? really wanted to, but didn't.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
I would never ^&*@# swear at work. It's $@# unprofessional.
Holy %$*#ing $#!^ Plannerbabs! Do you kiss your mother with that dirty *@#$ing mouth of yours? ;-)

Personally I agree with the previous comments that this simply confirms my opinion of Cheney. Yeah, it's on thing to drop the F-bomb when you stub your toe, or singing along to 50 Cent (as I'm sure the Vice President often does). But to throw a little hissy fit and tell a co-worker, especially when that co-worker is a US Senetor, to go *@#$ himself really shows a true lacking of decent character.

Last edited:

el Guapo

Capitalist
|-)
Don't make me list every liberal arsenwhip who's ever said "Fark" in an inappropriate place. You know I will. And your names might just be on the list too...

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
....Get Him Back For An Overhaul!

....I didn't know his memory was programmed with such disrespectful "output."

Get Dr. Dobson and Falwell on the line, immediately. :-D

boiker

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
|-)
Don't make me list every liberal arsenwhip who's ever said "Fark" in an inappropriate place. You know I will. And your names might just be on the list too...
don't misconstrue my comment to indicate dems are flawless. they've had just as many moral mishaps and ethics issues as anyone. The media likes to jump all over these stories no matter who is the culprit.

donk

Cyburbian
Who the f## cares? ;)

Isn't it kind of like "eh" or "umm" now adays. At least it is in the circles I work in :9

The Irish One

I'm rambling

If this were the good old days Leahy would have said "f**k this bi*ch" and at least punched the guy in the gut. We're not so civil. Teddy's driving drunk drowning little girls, Rush is dealing and using, Jack Ryan is finding a way to get his new game on, Clinton's putting his copy of Castro's 101things to do with a cigar, besides smoke it book to use, Ashcroft can't stand the site of a human anatomy in stone, someguy from Modesto is screwing his intern, Packwood is screwing many interns, I don't recall, what's your definition of is, drones are coming with weapons, sadaams got nukes, China (government) is our friend, Saudi Arabia is an ally The world is a safer place, ok I'm done. This is probably the nicest thing these guys have to say to each other.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
The GOP lost me at "You don't need civil rights if your not doing anything wrong".

What pisses me off is it seems like the Democratic party is filled with a bunch of pussies. Can't hit, can't yell, can't curse, can't insult! Its about time they poped their heads out of thier asses and got a little backbone.

People don't really care if they like commies or hate freaking christians. What nauseates people about democrats as they can be so freaking touchy feely and wishy washy.

GET A FREAKING BACKBONE ALREADY! and then people will vote for you. Jesus CHRIST! AL GORE had to get permision to be an ALPHA MALE from a FEMINIST! Kind of defeats the tittle!

Mark my words, GW & Cheney get realected, there won't be a constitution left to fight over!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's refreshing to see that politicians can be everyday people too. Now ya'll get your f*cking arses back to work and stop slacking! ;-)

metroboi

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
|-)
Haha, no doubt, but Cheney is 2nd in command of the party of "Family Values".

el Guapo

Capitalist
metroboi said:
Haha, no doubt, but Cheney is 2nd in command of the party of "Family Values".
Cheney was merely supporting Lehey's right to reproduce with himself. Dick was getting all inclusive and empowering of other lifestyles.

Cheney said yesterday he was in no mood to exchange pleasantries with Leahy because Leahy had "challenged my integrity" by making charges of cronyism between Cheney and his former firm, Halliburton Co. Leahy on Monday had a conference call to kick off the Democratic National Committee's "Halliburton Week" focusing on Cheney, the company, "and the millions of dollars they've cost taxpayers," the party said.

"I didn't like the fact that after he had done so, then he wanted to act like, you know, everything's peaches and cream," Cheney said. "And I informed him of my view of his conduct in no uncertain terms. And as I say, I felt better afterwards."

Leahy, crossing the aisle to the Republican side of the chamber Tuesday, tried to make small talk with Cheney. Cheney yesterday referred to the incident as "a little floor debate in the United States Senate," although the Senate was not in session at the time. According to Leahy's staff, the Vermont senator answered Cheney's complaint about Halliburton with Democrats' complaints that the White House sanctioned a smear of Catholic Democratic senators over their objections to Bush's judicial nominees.

"Ordinarily I don't express myself in strong terms, but I thought it was appropriate here," Cheney said on Fox.
So, how are things in the party of the "BJ'? :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
... Jack Ryan is finding a way to get his new game on, ...
[ot]I got a good laugh out of this one... the Illinois Republicans go out looking for a clean-cut candidate to help overcome numerous scandles, so they pick... Jack Ryan:

- who shares the same last name as the former, indicted republican governor, and
- who took his former wife to swingers clubs and tried to get her to have sex in front of everyone. [/ot]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
[ot]I got a good laugh out of this one... the Illinois Republicans go out looking for a clean-cut candidate to help overcome numerous scandles, so they pick... Jack Ryan:

- who shares the same last name as the former, indicted republican governor, and
- who took his former wife to swingers clubs and tried to get her to have sex in front of everyone. [/ot]

And dont forget...

-who shares the name with Tom Clancey's protagonist is a buh-zillion different CIA intrique stories.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Sure I've dropped an f-bomb in the past....but never in a place that was inappropriate, like say, the Senate floor.

Poor choice of words, but it's the type of thing I'd expect from someone like Cheney.
It was in the building during a photo op. Senate was not in session, so all the regal aspects about it where gone. Think about all the times Ted Kennedy has said something stupid during a session, or has been showing up to sessions drunk.

Somewhat OT:

Who was that old, decrepit conservative senator that had a predilection for young girls? I can't think of his name right now but his scandal was sometime during the early-to-mid 90's.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Mr. Packwood of Oregon

Planderella said:
Somewhat OT:

Who was that old, decrepit conservative senator that had a predilection for young girls? I can't think of his name right now but his scandal was sometime during the early-to-mid 90's.
Are you perhaps thinking of Bob Packwood of Oregon?

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Dirty words & sex

I've never said F#ck you at work, but there are a couple of co-workers who I could say that to now and then. There are definetly a few citizen activists who need to be told to f---off also.

Chaney spoke his mind, he's the VICE-president if you can't take advantage of your postion when you get at that level well, why be VICE-president. Chaney is in charge of Vice, which leads to the next subject.

Jack Ryan-- I'm not into public sex acts, do it at home in the bedroom, on the kitchen counter, in the living room, the shower, on the floor, sideways, standing on your head, forwards or backwards, you can even use whips and chains,but not on the front lawn please. Mr Ryan is too stupid to be a Senator or to be elected to any public office, he might be qualifed for Land Fill Worker I.

tsc

Cyburbian
I am surprised...Cheney always seems so cool-headed...but doesn't surprise me though...with his heart attack record. Still very unprofessional... and childish that he didn't keep his cool.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
chrisinmd said:
.......Jack Ryan-- I'm not into public sex acts, do it at home in the bedroom, on the kitchen counter, in the living room, the shower, on the floor, sideways, standing on your head, forwards or backwards, you can even use whips and chains,but not on the front lawn please.....

He wasn't on the front lawn, he was at a SEX CLUB with other like minded people...except his wife. :-D

So you shan't have to worry about finding spent condoms stuck to the bottom of your lawn mower! :-D

prudence

Cyburbian
chrisinmd said:
Jack Ryan-- I'm not into public sex acts, do it at home in the bedroom, on the kitchen counter, in the living room, the shower, on the floor, sideways, standing on your head, forwards or backwards, you can even use whips and chains,but not on the front lawn please. Mr Ryan is too stupid to be a Senator or to be elected to any public office, he might be qualifed for Land Fill Worker I.
So the above is WOSRE THAN the previous commander in chief GETTING A HUMMER IN THE OVAL OFFICE (or is it orafice??). Oh...and lying under oath and barely avoiding impeachment.

How easily this group turns a blind eye...

prudence said:
So the above is WOSRE THAN the previous commander in chief GETTING A HUMMER IN THE OVAL OFFICE (or is it orafice??). Oh...and lying under oath and barely avoiding impeachment.

please don't lump the entire "group" together because of what one person said. It wouldn't be Prudent. :-D

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
prudence said:

Nope, this is turnabout and fair play! :d:

Personally, I love it when someone who claims, or belongs to a political party or organization that claims the moral high ground, goes down in flames. The hypocracy is the height of thier achievement!

It's "OK" if Ryan wants to have a "more expansive" sex life, but not for the rest of his constituents in IL, that would be something different. I bet he was against gay marriage, but he has no problem with threesomes or moresomes! Defending that guy as he is torn to shreds shows not only his hypocrisy but the defenders himself whether through deflection, obfuscation, or true belief.