• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Chernobyl +18 years photolog

mgk920

Cyburbian
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

This is a recently made photolog of the area of Belarus and Ukraine surrounding the Chernobyl powerplant, about 18 years after their little 'oopsie'. It is a truly fascinating look into the area in general and the abandoned Soviet-era city of Pripyat, Ukraine (population about 50k) in particular, which was right next to the plant. The author, whom is a Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiast, describes Pripyat as a modern 'Pompei'.

Well worth a look-see.

My only real thought is that when the old Soviet Communists screwed something up, they always managed to do it *BIG TIME*.

Mike

Last edited:

bocian

Cyburbian
mgk920 said:
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

My only real thought is that when the old Soviet Communists screwed something up, they always managed to do it *BIG TIME*.

Mike
I am left speechless -- incredible!!!! I do remember the infamous april in 1986, I grew up close to the disaster area...
Sad, sad world with maniacs and governments having too much power in their hands...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hum... let me guess, she wrote her site in russian and then used babelfish to translate it to English?
Me Tarzan, you Jane! :-D
Cool pics though. :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
That was a very interesting site. I happened to be in Maine when TMI blew its lid and remember the fear of "what are they telling us and what aren't they telling us?"

I thought her english was pretty good SkeL, considering she comes from the cyrillic alphabet and all. The phraseology was exactly what I would expect as opposed to a computer translator.

And Elena was kind of yummy, too. B-)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I thought her english was pretty good SkeL, considering she comes from the cyrillic alphabet and all. The phraseology was exactly what I would expect as opposed to a computer translator.
Direct quote from the site: "Foot passenger"
I guess that means pedestrian... although, mabye someone made a foot shaped car, and there are good reasons to be afraid of finding a foot shaped car on the road.. it probably means your brain got f*cked up with the radiation. :p :-D ;-)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
Direct quote from the site: "Foot passenger"
I guess that means pedestrian... although, mabye someone made a foot shaped car, and there are good reasons to be afraid of finding a foot shaped car on the road.. it probably means your brain got f*cked up with the radiation. :p :-D ;-)
I'm not going to argue that that was kind of goofy (mental image of a *foot-shaped car* ;-) ) but in toto, I could hear her speaking with Ukrainian accent and being pretty "spot on" to most russian-speaking people that I have known.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Gedunker said:
And Elena was kind of yummy, too. B-)
I thought the same thing - a scientist in black leather on a sport bike trolling through no mans land. Very "Dark Angel" sexy.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Wow.

18 years those clothes hung on that line, and they're still there. And I wonder if that guy who went fishing and couldn't come back, or anyone who knows/knew him, will ever see her site and recognize those photos. Or if the radioactivity in them has fallen enough that he/they will be able to go back in and claim them.

I was surprised to see those Prjewalski's (pronounced Chevalski's) Horses; they're very endangered. Pretty much all of those that remained were taken into captivity about 20 years ago and a captive breeding program was set up, much like what was done with the surviving California Condors. The first reintroductions to the wild were in Mongolia about five (?) years ago (they were a success.) I didn't know anyone had any to release into the Ukraine.

mgk920

Cyburbian
B'lieve said:
Wow.

18 years those clothes hung on that line, and they're still there. And I wonder if that guy who went fishing and couldn't come back, or anyone who knows/knew him, will ever see her site and recognize those photos. Or if the radioactivity in them has fallen enough that he/they will be able to go back in and claim them.

I was surprised to see those Prjewalski's (pronounced Chevalski's) Horses; they're very endangered. Pretty much all of those that remained were taken into captivity about 20 years ago and a captive breeding program was set up, much like what was done with the surviving California Condors. The first reintroductions to the wild were in Mongolia about five (?) years ago (they were a success.) I didn't know anyone had any to release into the Ukraine.
I also note that she mentioned that there was a recent failed attempt to introduce American bison into that area. The best reason that I can guess for that was that they were intended to replace the aurachs (ancestors of modern cattle) that roamed 'native' in that part of the world until they became extinct in the wild in the early 20th century.

I wonder what overall effect the radiation has had on the wildlife in that area. ^o)

Mike

ludes98

Cyburbian
That was amazing. Truly strange to see life so abandoned. To think that people were watching radiation and exposing themselves without knowing because their government didn't tell them is just incredible.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A site you can't help but revisit. Fascinating to see a place built in modern times just ... well, vacated like that. Those old remnants of the Soviet era are also fascinating. Makes me wonder what Harrisburg would look like today if the same thing happened at Three Mile Island.

Elena has a dry sense of humor that pokes through her sweet-sounding Ukranian-flavored English. Some examples:

"In Ukrainian language Chernobyl is a name for a grass, wormwood (absinth) This word scares holly bejesus out of people here."

"Zoologists also brought two American Bisons, but idea to breed them didn't work out and bison male run away. I don't know, if he run from radiation or from his bride, but last time bison has been seen in Belorusia, he heading west and may be he just decided to return to America."

"It's was quite boring to go on ellection where one could only vote for one candidate and for one party. People haven't been coming. Then, in order to bring people on ellections, authorities arranged free drinks."

"If I keep walking all the way to reactor, then at the end of a journey I will glow in a dark. May be this is why they call it a magic wood. this sort of a magic when one walk in in a biker leather and coming out like a knight in a shinning armour."

"They ride old soviet bikes. My big ninja will probably produce as many horsepowers as those bunch of bikes all added together."

"weird to see this thing right on the street" (photo of gyno exam chair)

That was quite impressive and downright eerie! That park near the plant gave me the creeps. Can you imagine that place at night? 8-!

Ditto on her wit. I did have a few chuckles throughout her photolog.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The photos are very compelling. I didn't expect to see some beauty remaining. I hope the world NEVER experiences another very unfortunate occurrence like Chernobyl!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
This is the most fascinating website I have seen in a long time. Those aerials of the abandoned superblocks are eerie as hell.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Wow. Very eerie and sad. Those images are going to be showing up in my dreams, especially the ones of the kindergarten with the little gas masks, and the completely empty streets...and the amazing thing is that some people still live there, somehow.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I was reading this article about another of Russia's worst nuclear disasters and kept thinking about this thread and the pictures. Sadly the article covers the deliberate dumping of nucear waste into the Techa River that contaminated generations of people and an explosion at the Mayak nuclear lab. Apparently some surviving victims and family members are suing the government and winning $8 dollars a month and a yearly visit to a spa. Whooohooo! Sad, just sad. Longish article, but riveting.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
How bizarre; I was going to post the link to this website here, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. It is a truly fascinating site.

gct13

Cyburbian
An astounding photo log.

I'm glad she (the author) emphasized how bizarre and unnerving the silence was. It's quite difficult to imagine walking around a city in broad daylight without the usual noise of humans and motor vehicles.

2020planner

Had that "Brave New World" feeling. Imagine how much of an impact that would make to actually see / feel / touch this with your own senses.

Amazing