• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Chet, have you checked your monkey today?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Everything is definitely not funnier with monkeypox.

You beat me by five minutes to posting this new thread!

Rob and I have been changing eachother's screen saver to something monkey pox related on and off all day.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I saw some prairie dogs at a pet store about 6 months ago. I was intrigued, but I am holding out for a real dog and my girlfriend strongly discouraged me. I am so gald I didn't get one of those disease infested rodents!

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I saw this story when I reading the news at home last night and thought it would be a perfect, Why WI is going to hell..." - but then decided, we've got to start picking on another state - at least one that I'm not moving to this summer!

biscuit

Cyburbian
My question is, why would anyone want a prairie dog as a pet? Can they do anything other than eat, burrow and reproduce? Can they do tricks or do their farts smell like cotton candy or something? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Repo Man

Cyburbian
People have all kinds of stupid pets including rats, gerbils (insert Richard Gere joke here), spiders, and snakes. For some reason people like having rodents and other useless pets. I will give the prairie dog credit, it is somewhat cute. When I saw it at the pet store it was friendly and seemed like it would about on par with a ferret in terms of owner satisfaction (which is pretty poor, but not as unsatisfying as a snake or a hamster). I could see how some family that was too irresponsible or poor to get a real pet would find them attractive.

prudence

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
My question is, why would anyone want a prairie dog as a pet? Can they do anything other than eat, burrow and reproduce? Can they do tricks or do their farts smell like cottan candy or something? I don't get it.
A friend of mind has two of 'em...I view them as a novelty pet...like the pot bellied pig. The vamints bite, so I don't know what value they have.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
[ot] In 1996 I bought a kitten at a pet store. It was behind glass, in a cage next the several cages of Prairie Dogs. By the time she was bought, she had developed many of their mannerisms, including the habit of "prairie dogging", standing on her back legs, front legs curled, back stretched upward as far as she could. Very amusing, but over time as the behavior was no longer reinforced they happened less often.[/ot]

Seabishop

Cyburbian
You just know that hundreds of garage bands across the country are naming themselves "Monkeypox" right now.

Habanero

Cyburbian
prudence said:
A friend of mind has two of 'em...I view them as a novelty pet...like the pot bellied pig. The vamints bite, so I don't know what value they have.
tacos?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
People have all kinds of stupid pets including rats, gerbils (insert Richard Gere joke here), spiders, and snakes. For some reason people like having rodents and other useless pets. I will give the prairie dog credit, it is somewhat cute. When I saw it at the pet store it was friendly and seemed like it would about on par with a ferret in terms of owner satisfaction (which is pretty poor, but not as unsatisfying as a snake or a hamster). I could see how some family that was too irresponsible or poor to get a real pet would find them attractive.
So what would you qualify as a "real" pet???
I have a hamster, Fluffy, who is cute and fun, and I think she's a real pet.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I once had a rabbit that was litter box trained...

Now I have a one of those Betas in a bowl with a plant growing out the top...

*I think that Dogs are real pets... Cat's on the other hand, I would be happy if they where all in china.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Zoning Goddess said:

It's especially fun when you put them in the little plastic ball so they can roll around the house... and exceptionally fun when they find the stairs!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
So what would you qualify as a "real" pet???
Dog or Cat

I guess I shouldn't have said "real" pet. I didn't mean to offend anyone who likes having rodents for pets. I had a roommate who was obsessed with these crappy little pets (mice, rats, gerbils, snakes) and I had to spend 2 years dealing with them and now I have this total hatred for pets that do nothing but sit in a cage, poop, and take an occasional spin on that wheel.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Anyone notice how quickly Habanero lost the monkey avatar?
One word for you:

Pariah!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
It's especially fun when you put them in the little plastic ball so they can roll around the house... and exceptionally fun when they find the stairs!
I'm from Florida. I've never lived in a house with stairs!