• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Chicago Laefest Days

Cardinal

Cyburbian
From another thread, posted by Mgk930:

BTW, has a date/time/place been set yet for the Chicago one? I live about 3.5 hours drive time from there and can easily make it, regardless of the day, if I have a week or two notice.
I think the plan is that Michaelskis will be bringing JNL back to Chicago on Tuesday morning, the 15th. I am getting a room at the Hyatt Regency, on Michigan and Wacker - there's room for one more, but if several people are coming, maybe they'd like to share rooms as well? By the way, I am sitting in the room right now, overlooking the river, Hancock Building and Wrigley Building.

The Laefest will be Tuesday night, although no location has been picked yet. On Tuesday and Wednesday we'll be showing her this great city. On Thursday we'll be driving to Toronto.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

I think the plan is that Michaelskis will be bringing JNL back to Chicago on Tuesday morning, the 15th.......QUOTE]

Count me in on that tuesday night, they are always open :)

Only, I am assuming it is june 15th? Please add the whole date. :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yes, it would be Tueday the June 15th...

What are rates for the Hotel that night, and contact information? That is a great location....

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Yes, it would be Tueday the June 15th...

What are rates for the Hotel that night, and contact information? That is a great location....
Just post the whole date time and location when its going to happen. Woo WHOO! :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Just post the whole date time and location when its going to happen. Woo WHOO! :)
I have no idea on the time or meeting location... I think that Cardinal was working out those details.

Also, I just checked on the price of the hotel... $244 per night? Is there anything less expensive in the area with train access or any deals going on?

How about the Red Roof Inn downtown? It is in a historic building, and I know a bunch of students that stayed there for the confrence a few years ago. (I stayed with fam out by O'Hare)... Looks like they have rooms for about $115 or so...

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Also, I just checked on the price of the hotel... $244 per night?
Hmmm... I am staying for $179 a night right now, and have gotten it as cheap as $139. I suppose four people in a room is a bit more expensive. I was planning to use some of my points for the room. You are pretty much going to find that the rates are similar anywhere in the downtown area, and to stay further out doesn't make too much sense. You lose time driving or taking public transportation, and then don't have a base to return to between excursions. Others in the immediate area include a Wyndam, Sheraton (across the river), the Allerton, Marriott, Embassy Suites, and Hilton.

What time are you going to be arriving in town?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Michealskis:

Why not try a hostel. There are at least two that I know of:

chicago hostel page

Hostels are a great way to go.

Arlington House is on a really nice residential street in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, or you could go for the H.I. Chicago which is in the Loop.

Don't limit yourself simply to the hotels in the Loop or North Michigan Ave. There are great hotels in Lincoln Park, too. And they have great access to transpo. to get you many of the places you want to go.

I'll be at the laefest in June.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I say we go to this bar on June 15th:

The HandleBar
(as jordanb mentioned)

This sounds good, and is off the beaten path and near an El station (CTA Blue Line - Damen Stop)

We should start here at 7:00pm.

Comments??

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
michaelskis -- I'm not quite sure how ghetto you're willing to go, but my futon offer is still open.
Thanks for the offer, but some creative bargaining came up and there will be a few of us at the Hyatt that night.

What places would you recommend going to? You’re one of the few people who live "in" Chicago, and the places that I have been to might not be a good for interaction. (it is a bit loud in Excalibur and both Blue Chicago locations) Do you think that you could put togeather a "Good Bars of Chicago" map for us???

I say we go to this bar on June 15th:

The HandleBar
(as jordanb mentioned)

This sounds good, and is off the beaten path and near an El station (CTA Blue Line - Damen Stop)

We should start here at 7:00pm.
Sounds good to me. We have out starting point!

JNL

Cyburbian
It's funny, this thread title (and the Toronto one) make me think of a book or sitcom title.... "Chicago Laefest Days"

It's 2004 and a bunch of Cyburbians have organised get-togethers at dubiously-titled "laefests"... little did they know what they were getting themselves into...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNL said:
It's 2004 and a bunch of Cyburbians have organised get-togethers at dubiously-titled "laefests"... little did they know what they were getting themselves into...
Forward agents from Wal*stores had monitored the coming gathering of the Cyburbians over the internet and infiltrated the first stop, a Chicago joint known as the HandleBar. Viveka, an EIT out of the home office in Bentonville, was specially chosen for her Swedish accent and her fondness for...

Budgie

Cyburbian
Hey, anybody got a room with any extra floor space I could sublet?

Jordanb, I'll take you up on the futon. that's what I call luxury.

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Cardinal said:

I think the plan is that Michaelskis will be bringing JNL back to Chicago on Tuesday morning, the 15th.......QUOTE]

Count me in on that tuesday night, they are always open :)

Only, I am assuming it is june 15th? Please add the whole date. :)
DUKE! Whats happening I should be in town that week/weekend...I'll keep ya posted!

jordanb

Cyburbian
Ok budgie, PM me when the date gets near and I'll give you directions.

As far as bars.. I'm not too into the scene but I know a few. What sort are you looking for?

If you're downtown, go to the Billy Goat Tavern on lower Michigan (NOT their tourist trap version on navy pier). They serve three different types of beer, "dark," "medium," and "light." None of them are any good but "dark" is tolerable. The help can be spotty. I've not tried the food yet but I wouldn't get my hopes up. But the place is a Chicago institution so it shouldn't be missed.

Also it's pretty cheap (cash only though).

mgk920

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Ok budgie, PM me when the date gets near and I'll give you directions.

As far as bars.. I'm not too into the scene but I know a few. What sort are you looking for?

If you're downtown, go to the Billy Goat Tavern on lower Michigan (NOT their tourist trap version on navy pier). They serve three different types of beer, "dark," "medium," and "light." None of them are any good but "dark" is tolerable. The help can be spotty. I've not tried the food yet but I wouldn't get my hopes up. But the place is a Chicago institution so it shouldn't be missed.

Also it's pretty cheap (cash only though).
I've been there are few times over the years. Michigan Av at Hubbard (across Michigan from the Tribune HQ) and down the stairs. The place doesn't pretend to be anything but a lunch counter for the area office crowd, it was popular with reporters but not as much in recent years. Definitely reasonable prices and it isn't unusual at all to suddenly find oneself in a conversation with a total stranger at the next table.

Mike

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Cool! Wondered when you would show up! :-D
Yeah email me your phone numbe cause I seemed to have lost it. Also, if you cant tell from the email address I am working in Aspen, COlorado for the summer. Tell Derek I say hi.

adams(at)ci.aspen.co.us

Mod Note: You really don't want the spam bots to get your address do you? giff57

Last edited by a moderator:

JNL

Cyburbian
12 days (NZT) and counting down! :-D

Can you tell someone is getting excited about her trip?! Although, we're having a big party the night before I leave and my flatmates are determined to send me off with a serious hangover :-#

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
12 days (NZT) and counting down! :-D

Can you tell someone is getting excited about her trip?! Although, we're having a big party the night before I leave and my flatmates are determined to send me off with a serious hangover :-#
I would suggest getting as much sleep on the plane as you can... and eat food to absorb alcohol. It will help to prevent you getting sick once you get here, and the need to sleep till 3 pm! (being that we are on the opposite side of the planet).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry JNL :-$
I can't make it because: :-(
It's mid week;
D'oh Did not ask for it off before Assistant Director did - he's taking entire week, married w/3 kids at home;
It's a 6 hour drive one-way;
I don't drink or ;
I can save money by not attending - see another thread;
but -
I hope to see most of you in Indy. :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just a reminder... One Week! I hope that the city residents have places that they would like to show!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Just a reminder... One Week! I hope that the city residents have places that they would like to show!
Are you guys going to be here over this weekend or only available during the weekdays?

I ask, because due to my job location and length of commute, I wouldn't be able to show you guys much. Not enough time. But will definitely be at the Handlebar at 7pm next tuesday night.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Are you guys going to be here over this weekend or only available during the weekdays?

I ask, because due to my job location and length of commute, I wouldn't be able to show you guys much. Not enough time. But will definitely be at the Handlebar at 7pm next tuesday night.
JNL and I will be there mid day on Tuesday. I have to give Cardinal a call to arrange to meet up at the hotel.

JordanB, do you want me to PM you my cell number so you can give us a call at 5 so you can start the tour?

jordanb

Cyburbian
Ok well, I spoke to my boss about getting off early on Tuesday because I don't think two hours is enough time to show you guy anything. He said I could take the whole day off if I wanted.

So.. I assume you guys want to do the tourist stuff during the day, but I'm not interested in paying to go on all that. ;-) The art institute is free on Tuesdays so I'd be willing to go there. What is your schedule? My thought is that you could do the tourist stuff in the morning and we could meet around 1:00 to 2:00.

My tour plan is to go south to Chinatown, do that whole thing, then take the 18th street bus across to Pilsen, then take the douglas back up to Greektown, then take the Halsted street bus up to West Town. Then take the blue line to Wicker park and maybe Logan Square. If we go out to Logan Square, we can take the Belmont bus back east (there's a ton of infill along Belmont) and then take the Red Line south into the heart of Lincoln Park, then perhaps take the Brown Line down to Caprini Green and see the Hope IV there. Then take the Evanston Express up to Evanston and Rogers Park.

Depending on the amount of time you want to spend in each neighborhood (and if you want to eat B-) ) I'm guessing that'd take ~5 hours, but you'll see a *lot* of chicago in that time.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We've decided against the Art Institute. We could also skip Chinatown - Toronto has Chicago beat hands-down. What about getting down to South Prairie to see the old mansions, including the Sullivans and Frank Lloyd Wrights? We should also plan to walk around places like that and Lincoln Park a bit to get a taste of what they really are like. We should plan to end up near the Handlebar, since that is where the Laefest is going to be (right?).

I think Michaelskis will have JNL back in Chicago around mid-day Tuesday. We can do Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier, Grant Park, the Sears and Hancock, State Street, and similar places on Wednesday - they are all walking distance from the hotel.

jordanb said:
Ok well, I spoke to my boss about getting off early on Tuesday because I don't think two hours is enough time to show you guy anything. He said I could take the whole day off if I wanted.

So.. I assume you guys want to do the tourist stuff during the day, but I'm not interested in paying to go on all that. ;-) The art institute is free on Tuesdays so I'd be willing to go there. What is your schedule? My thought is that you could do the tourist stuff in the morning and we could meet around 1:00 to 2:00.

My tour plan is to go south to Chinatown, do that whole thing, then take the 18th street bus across to Pilsen, then take the douglas back up to Greektown, then take the Halsted street bus up to West Town. Then take the blue line to Wicker park and maybe Logan Square. If we go out to Logan Square, we can take the Belmont bus back east (there's a ton of infill along Belmont) and then take the Red Line south into the heart of Lincoln Park, then perhaps take the Brown Line down to Caprini Green and see the Hope IV there. Then take the Evanston Express up to Evanston and Rogers Park.

Depending on the amount of time you want to spend in each neighborhood (and if you want to eat B-) ) I'm guessing that'd take ~5 hours, but you'll see a *lot* of chicago in that time.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
We've decided against the Art Institute.
I know I would like to see the Art Institute, and I know that JNL is into art from some of the discussions and sharing of Art web links and I think that it might be something that she would like to see. Maybe her and I will make into downtown around noon we could fit that in as well.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Well if you decide to go to it, let me know. I'd like to go as well since it's free.

We can do Prarie Avenue instead of Chinatown, and actually it'd work into seeing Pilsen much better since the 18th street bus goes right past there.

By the way, my cell number is 773 480 3984. I don't really see any reason to PM it.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Also you guys should pick up day passes. It'll be a lot cheaper than paying full fare as you go.

You don't have to order them online, but they can be a bit hard to find otherwise (I believe walgreens sells them).

Supertall

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Also you guys should pick up day passes. It'll be a lot cheaper than paying full fare as you go.

You don't have to order them online, but they can be a bit hard to find otherwise (I believe walgreens sells them).
Western Union has them as well, that's where I bought mine at. I think I bought one at Osco as well.

I'm heading up to Chicago next weekend.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hey,

Since it appears the arrival of JNL will be delayed, we should still have the laefest as planned.

If any of the Chicago Cyburbia contingent still want to meetup at the Handlebar on Tuesday night, I'm still up for it.

Let me know

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Hey,

Since it appears the arrival of JNL will be delayed, we should still have the laefest as planned.

If any of the Chicago Cyburbia contingent still want to meetup at the Handlebar on Tuesday night, I'm still up for it.

Let me know
I'm still up for getting together for a laefest.

I would make room for another night also when JNL comes into town later.

Just need the time and place! :-D

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Duke Of Dystopia said:
I'm still up for getting together for a laefest.

I would make room for another night also when JNL comes into town later.

Just need the time and place! :-D
Let's stick with the Handlebar as previously agreed upon.

And surely another time will be made available to include JNL when she gets here.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I will be leaving here at noon (Michigan time) so I should be into town by 2:00 pm Chicago time. JordanB, I will give you a call once I get to the hotel and we can meet there? That way we can just hop on the L and head down to the Art museum.

jordanb

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I will be leaving here at noon (Michigan time) so I should be into town by 2:00 pm Chicago time. JordanB, I will give you a call once I get to the hotel and we can meet there? That way we can just hop on the L and head down to the Art museum.
That's fine. Do you still want to do the tour? I can probably reschedule my time off for when JNL gets here to do it, but I can't take two days off, so it's ether this tuesday, when JNL gets here, or not at all.

If you just want to do the art institute, I'll take a late lunch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
That's fine. Do you still want to do the tour? I can probably reschedule my time off for when JNL gets here to do it, but I can't take two days off, so it's ether this tuesday, when JNL gets here, or not at all.

If you just want to do the art institute, I'll take a late lunch.
We can wait for the Tour till JNL gets here. I have been to Chicago a bunch of times, and I know I will be back. I have never been to the Art Institute, so that is something that I would like to see. I will give you a call sometime Monday or Tuesday morning to coordinate plans.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Because of things kind of beyond my contol (a close friend with an issue) I will be unable to make to to Chicago at this time. I hope to meet up with all of you at a later date, and hope that everyone there has at least 2 drinks for me. (I am Irish, I drink a lot)

I have fun and see you all sooner or later.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I won't be going. With the change in jobs, I can use the extra couple of days to finish up some of hte projects here, or at least clean things up so that there is a smooth transition.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I will not be attending the laefest at the Handlebar tonight.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I have to go to a BTG meeting tonight BUT.. It's at the Handlebar. It's supposed to get over at 8:00 so I'll be there if anyone shows up or not.

I'll be in the beer gardern. Ask the waiter where the break the gridlock people are.