• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Chicago & mob mentality

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I plan to fly into midway and take the el to the loop for the laefest.
No surface streets for me:-D

jordanb

Cyburbian
That's not the first time this has happened. It actually seems to be getting more common. While I don't like violence and can't condone the mob's actions at all, fact is that people piloting cars are generally given carte blanche by the criminal justice system to harm pedestrians and cyclists, provided they're not drinking alcohol. So they willfully disregard posted speed limits careening down streets that people live on, often simply to get through the neighborhood with no benefit to the people living there at all. So day after day they fly through polluting the neighborhoods and filling them with noise, then some trucker runs down a neighborhood kid in the street in front of his house. Can you blame the community for getting angry?

I think this is a sign that people are beginning to get fed up with public policy that favors motorists over all other everyone else. When a system makes it illegal for pedestrians to exercise their right to access 40% of the public space in cities so that motorists can exercise their privilege of driving at unsafe speeds, it should be obvious that that system is seriously broken.

biscuit

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I think this is a sign that people are beginning to get fed up with public policy that favors motorists over all other everyone else. When a system makes it illegal for pedestrians to exercise their right to access 40% of the public space in cities so that motorists can exercise their privilege of driving at unsafe speeds, it should be obvious that that system is seriously broken.
Although I agree with you that policy and often judicial preference is given to automobiles over pedestrians and bicyclist, I think you’d be giving these people too intellectual credit to say their horrific mob action is a result of anger over transportation policy. If anything this is just another sign of the loss of civility in society at large. Sadly this tit-for-tat violence is part of a much larger problem of cultural collapse.