• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Chicago Out of Names for Subdivisions

Seabishop

Cyburbian
From The Onion

Chicago Out Of Names For Subdivisions
CHICAGO—According to city planners, Chicago has run out of new names for its subdivisions. "It was bound to happen sooner or later," Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said at a Monday press conference in front of City Hall. "Oak Dale Springs, Whispering Pines, Stonewood Creek... We have used every tree, body of water, and living thing in the almanac. You don't have to drive all the way out to Kevin Acres to know we need a new naming system." Daley announced that, beginning in 2004, all new housing developments in the Chicago area will be numbered with a positive integer.

donk

Cyburbian
I wonder what the line up at the sales office of a brownfield redevelopment called "Rendering Plant Way" would be like?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
How could that be? There are many combinations of words that can be used to name a subdivision. Look in the dictionary. There are thousands and thousands of words. It's not like they have to relate to what was on site before development, it never has been.;) There is a West Coast Subdivision in my town. I'm 1,200 miles from the west coast! Windsor Estates? There is nothing english about it.

BKM

Cyburbian
Its The Onion, STG :)

Strangely enough, The Onion is filtered out by our soundwall, but I can download F%^$#edcompany.com. Weird.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
So, if Daley decreed this change, the city must have recently annexed the entire metro region. Interesting.

With the positive integers, will Woodfield mall in Schaumburg be readdressed to 38400 W. Golf Rd and Lake Forest richys will be addressed between 38400 N and 44800 N? ;-)

(Nerd joke for those who know Chicago address system)

Jeff

Cyburbian
You can always attach "Greene" to the end of something to make it sound appealling.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
mendelman said:
(Nerd joke for those who know Chicago address system)

I found that extremely funny :)

The running joke at my *former* employer was that ever friggin new street and subdivision ended in "...wood"

As in Kenwood, Basswood, Quietwood, Candlewood, Lakewood, Morningwood (ok I added that for fun), Applewood... No crap. I was really iritating.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
I wonder what the line up at the sales office of a brownfield redevelopment called "Rendering Plant Way" would be like?

Funny. I am working on a brownfield redevelopment now. In laying out a concept, I have called one of the new streets "Old Brick Kiln Road." I suppose I should probably change it to "Olde," just to be trendy. There is a thought behind the name. It acknowledges the site's history and its industrial use, but changes the focus from a foundry to the original brickyard, which would have a better image.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
On a serious note, the redevelopment of the "Distillery District" in Toronto looks to be relatively successful.

Hard to imagine in the same buildings that they are displaying $200 000 glass art used to be "booze cans" shooting gallery/crack dens and punk flops.

http://www.toronto.com/profile/714399/

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

The Planning Department Christmas party is tonight, at the Mill Street Brewery in Distillery District.

Cheers! :b: :b: :b: