• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Chicago pictures

jordanb

Cyburbian
So I borrowed a friend's camera a bit ago and took some pictures around town. I think they came out rather well:

http://gallery.hafd.org

I've ordered a digital camera and I plan to add to these when it arrives, hopefully building a large collection.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Great photos! The apartments and brownstones in your neighbourhood are awesome. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
Great photos! Chicago has the best architectural vernacular!

I lived in the "Kenmore Corridor" in Uptown (can't remember the cross street). Definitely a "interesting" neighborhood 14 years ago. Always love seeing Chicago photos.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I lived in the "Kenmore Corridor" in Uptown (can't remember the cross street). Definitely a "interesting" neighborhood 14 years ago. Always love seeing Chicago photos.
Uptown has changed a lot. I have neighbors who tell me about drug deals and police shootouts five or six years ago on my street. Now it's a pretty quiet street though, and most of the buildings in that picture are condos (they were probably all vacant when you lived there).

The neighborhood is still rough around the edges though, a lot of vacant buildings, trash, and homeless, and there's not many cafes or like amenities, but it continues to gentrify like most of the north side (and many other parts of the city). That's a mixed bag, of course. I love to see uptown improve and beautify, but I don't want it to become an unmitigated youpieville like Lincoln Park or Wicker Park.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I abandoned my apartment hotel for West Rogers Park (Fargo at Ridge) after two weeks-there was a distinctive odor of gas in the room.

I still remember when I was moving in, some lurkers leaning across a nearby car saying to me "You have some nice stuff, man." That and the screaming prostitutes. Ah, urban life :)

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Great photos!

Hey, you think Lake Shore Drive cuts through parks on the North Side? Take a look sometime at how Lake Shore Drive (AND the Illinois Central Railroad) completely separates Burnham Park from neighborhoods on the South Side!

jordanb

Cyburbian
Hey, you think Lake Shore Drive cuts through parks on the North Side? Take a look sometime at how Lake Shore Drive (AND the Illinois Central Railroad) completely separates Burnham Park from neighborhoods on the South Side!
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'll get down there and take pictures eventually. I know that the Central Area Plan (or maybe it was Metropolis 2020) proposed burying the IC. Unfortunatly there aren't any official plans to do anything with LSD. That's the worst road in the city and it has to go.