• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Chicago

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I've just sent my registration in for the APA conference. How many others are going to be there? Some lively discussion over massive quantities of alcohol would be fun, hell, the discussion part is even optional.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'll be there with Bells On!

I'll be interviewing to fill a new Associate Planner position within my organization, and I'm presenting a session with three others on Tuesday afternoon titled, "Conservation on the Urban Fringe". Look for us!

I would expect that even with these commitments I'll have time to hoist a frothy malt beverage with fellow Cyburbanites. However, I regret to inform you that I am prohibited from planning such endeavors - the photo below shows you what happened when I tried to organize a simple poetry reading and accidentally invited a few too many planners...

el Guapo

Capitalist
How will we know each other?

I suggest posting a picture of ourselves here and then wearing something distinctive at the conference.

Last edited:

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'll be there...looking forward to going back to a national conference for the first time since Boston.

Since Chicago is close to my collegiate home...I expect to hoist a few with old friends as well. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo - How WIll We Know Each Other?

Well you can identify we from the picture I am using as my avatar. I am probably going to get flamed for this or banned from Cyburbia, but just in case you can't spot me in a crowded bar, here is a picture of my session panelists. I'm usually with one of them...

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'll be looking for a friend of mine...

This is the last photo taken of my friend (AKA J.M.G.). We were killing a keg at a party one night about four years ago and I think I dared him to do something really stupid. I can't remember what it was.

Let me know if you see him at Chicago? He might be hanging out with the AICP crowd.

Bturk, I figure this will cut your flames in half! Glad to help.:)

prudence

Cyburbian
Chicago Get Together

I took the liberty to reserve the pool at a local club...I hope it works for everyone.

BYO Baby Ruth.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Suggested membership drive theme!

Just an idea...

I have a larger version suitable for desktop wallpaper available.

prudence

Cyburbian
Cyburbia in Chicago

Mr. Chairman, I move for the First Annual Cyburbia Reception in Chicago at the House of Blues Bar on Sunday night after the conclusion of the APA Opening Reception. Any second?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
MOTION CARRIES

Now we just need to convince them to let me back in... Those bouncers have looooong memories!

Mary

I wish I could be there. Drink one for me.

Oh and Dan, if you come up with Cyburbia stuff be sure to post it here too so those of us who can't go to Chicago can still order some.

:)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cyburbia Merchandise

I suggest the tote bag include a picture of a monkey.

Everything is better with a monkey!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Side trip?

Is anyone planning to take the (hideously expensive) mobile workshop to Milwaukee? It's almost wort it just to see the new Calatrava addition to the Art Museum. In my mind this building rivals the Gugenheim!

Great pics of it at:

http://www.cgschmidt.com/photos-m.htm

el Guapo

Capitalist
Primate Bladder Control Issues

Most primates require some form of hot-glue to get the damn things to stay on.

MONKEY HATE CLEAN!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I see BIG SUCCE$$ selling these in Chicago!

Just don't drop them - the results will be worse than the hot sauce bottles in New Orleans...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Cyburbia Merchandise

bturk said:

Everything is better with a monkey!
Story Time!

I was attending a bachelor party at a very seedy adult establishment. While standing at the urinal, at grubby looking guy stands beside me and says in a very southern accent "Ya'll wanna buy a monkey". Getting very nervous thinking that this was some sort of code for a bizzare sexual act that I'd never heard of, I said...."no....not really". Imagine my relief when he then said "I gots ta gid rid ah that dahm thang, he's crappin all ahver mah truck". That's when I realized he really did have a monkey to sell.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Cyburbia in Chicago

prudence said:
Mr. Chairman, I move for the First Annual Cyburbia Reception in Chicago at the House of Blues Bar on Sunday night after the conclusion of the APA Opening Reception. Any second?
I imagine it'll be something like this...(pardon me while I play with my new Photoshop program today :) )

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You Rock NH Planner!

The monkey from the tote bag was a nice touch!

el Guapo

Capitalist
The guys in brown jackets...

are they AICP? I always imagined that getting one's AICP was a bit like winning the Masters in that you received a jacket and oversized novelty check/certificate?

Photoshop will soon replace solitaire as the numbero uno governmental time waster.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
No, guapo, the formal stuff is now under the domain of FAICP. When that cloister gets too crowded--in about 2 years--APA will create something even more grand than a "fellow" of the order. Anybody want to help them with a name worthy of this soon to be new rank? And what insignia for the few...the proud...the princes of planning?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
How about...

... Royal order of Mooses and FAICP? NHPlanner - care to help out with a doctored logo?

One thing that sickens me about AICP --> They are dying for new membership. I have been eligible for the exam for five years, and every year for the last three they send me a "this is your last chance" letter. Uuggghh! If you can't manage a database how can you be a certified planner? Oh wait - thats right - most folks that work there aren't....

prudence

Cyburbian
Chiming In...

What I find more aggravating than the AICP itself is how many employers in the public sector look for the accredidation in hiring candidates.

How I taken it yet? No, though I have been eligible for a while.

Will I? Yes, because it translates into a bigger paycheck and acceptance/arrival from the uniformed.

The AICP is not, nor ever will be, on the same level as P.E. or A.I.A. The AICP is a multiple choice test. The test given by High School Guidance Counselors has greater merit than the AICP...and is certainly more useful. (BTW, I was slated to be a house painter until this planning gig fell in my lap.)

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
Cyburbia reception

Well, as it turns out, I too will be in Chicago for the National Conf. The mohawk is gone, as are the rippling abs, but I should be somewhat recognizable.

Kentucky is also hosting a reception at Harry Carry's on tuesday, I think. After the bash in New Orleans we threw, this may be scaled down a bit. Folks not in the Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana chapters should be welcome, but will have to pay for drinks.

Just to toot my own horn, check out our discussion page, http://www.kapa.org/kydisc_toc.htm mostly rural planning Q & A.

See you at the House of Blues on Sunday.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: How about...

bturk said:
... Royal order of Mooses and FAICP? NHPlanner - care to help out with a doctored logo?
How's this?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Lets get the party started

I think am going to enjoy Sunday. ... and Prudence will remind me to bring the black cap so you'll be sure to spot us in the crowd at House of Blues.

Unfortunately we won't be able to join you on Tuesday. Right after we present our session we have to race back home for the inauguration of our new Mayor (whomever the hell that will be) to be followed by our Plan Commission meeting. Dang I hate conferences close to home...

el Guapo

Capitalist
How about some of these, Mike?

Grand Wizards of Planning (GWP)
Lord High Commissioners of Planning (LHCP)
Exalted Omnipotent Omniscient Planning Gods (EOOPG)
Command Planning Sergeant Major (CPSM)
Krishna’s Magnificent Embodiment Upon This Astral Plain As A Planner (KMEUTAPAAP)
Really F***ing Good Planner (RFGP)
An Earnhardt Fellow (EF or simply #3)

Or in a basketball theme "The Plan"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ooops where are they?

NHPlanner -

You forgot to add my two friends and El Guapo's drinking buddy. It's not much of a party with them...

Top Bottom