• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Child-credit Tax Rebate

otterpop

Cyburbian
Yesterday I got my $400 tax rebate for our beloved resident Berserker. I am thinking my wife and I should put the money to good use -- BIRTH CONTROL!! :-D

But I was wondering what the rest of you American parents were planning to do with your governmental largesse?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
damn you all, the last 2 digits off my SS # are 98. Mine got mailed yesterday.

SGB

Cyburbian
A surround sound entertainment system to go in our new entertainment cabinet in our new house! (Someone's gotta kick start this economy, dammit!)

Our check should be here within a week or so.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
No kids, no refund. Frankly, it works for me. Kids cost more than $400 last time I checked.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I got mine a week or so ago...used it for Kylie's birthday presents.

Wulf9

An object lesson in kick starting the economy. Retailers report a "bump" from the child tax credit. This was a small part of the tax plan dollarwise.

In most previous recessions, we have put money in hands of those who would spend it - or spent it directly on things that would produce jobs.

The current administration has put that money in the hands of well-off folks who are not likely to spend more and help the economy.

Habanero

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
I got mine a week or so ago...used it for Kylie's birthday presents.
dayyyyummmm, I never got that many presents! :D I wish I could claim my dogs, they're my babies.

kms

Cyburbian
If Wulf9 means that by getting $400 back for each of my kids means that I'm well off, then the economy doesn't stand a chance of improving.

Wulf9

kms said:
If Wulf9 means that by getting $400 back for each of my kids means that I'm well off, then the economy doesn't stand a chance of improving.
Bingo.

The hundreds of billions spent on tax breaks for the well-off (and incidentally added to the national debt) are not an economic stimulous program.