• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Child endangerment or not?

Child endangerment or not?

• Yes, absolutely this is child endangerment.

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • It's stupid and unsafe, but not child endangerment.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No, this is not child endangerment - let them do what they want.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...I really don't care either way.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
A woman faced child endangerment charges for breastfeeding her daughter while she was driving from Detroit to Pittsburgh. Here's the article.

She said her 'husband told her to do it' and that their religion says she has to listen to him. Michigan law allows a baby to be out of the carseat if it's being breastfed. She was in Ohio when pulled over and said she shouldn't have to follow Ohio law because she's from MI, that she should have to follow MI's law. Apparently her religion (can't find it right now) has a history of trying to challenge government.

"Donkers has a car seat for her baby and says she uses it often and thinks it's important to do so — just not when the baby needs to nurse."
She uses it OFTEN? Whatever, I'll wait a minute to post my opinion.

Anyway, she was found guilty of violating child restraint laws, but not child endangerment.

Any thoughts?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I saw this on the news, when the prosecutor got her to admit that she was driving at 65 mph, breastfeeding, talking to her husband on the cell phone, and writning notes on a pad on her steering wheel all at once. Inattentive or reckless driving come to mind. I'll often pull off the road to make a cell call. She should do the same to breast feed.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
1) This lady is a moron and should not have produced offspring.

2) Nursing while driving is incredibly stupid and dangerous. This is definitly child endangerment. Her lame excuse about Michigan law illustrates the extent of her stupidity. If she was a passenger and she was breastfeeding and had the kid out of the seat that would be ok, but while driving?!?!?

3) What in the hell is she going to sue for?

Jen

Cyburbian
Ok I know some moms can do al lot of things while breastfeeding, like answer the phone, or read maybe even cook. BUt just how do you get your child to latch on, feed, burp switch sides etc et c while navigating a automobile down the hwy? OTOH I have taken my infant out of carseat to comfort her or to do a quick diaper change, this when my husband is driving and the roads are relatively clear. Not when we are in heavy stop and go traffic.

And their BS religion sounds more like a dom/sub relationship to me.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It is absolutely child endangerment. No child should be out of a restraint system when the vehicle is in traffic.

Ditto Jen's comment about their BS religion.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here we are talking about restraint systems and we haven't even heard from PlannerGirl yet. ;)

Cityscape Dreamer

Cyburbian
that story was local news. I seem to remember the religion is a kind of conservative christian, along the lines of that texas lady who drowned her 5 kids.

of course this is child endangerment. Impaired driving, caused by cell phone use, or putting on makeup, or whatever, puts the passengers in danger.

I suppose if the husband told her to jump off a cliff....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Their religion also has a history of challenging the government. Which means the whole thing could have been a stunt. If so, child endangerment.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Once again we find a moron who found their way into the gene pool when the lifegaurd was not paying attention. Maybe she thinks Michigan law is grandfathered in Ohio.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol im gonna pipe in

well a D/s relationship thats FUNCTIONAL would never seek to put the child or the mother at risk and would leave the woman the ability to think for herself in situations where being submissive would be a problem, like dealing with the cops. I dont see why they did not get her for resisting arrest.

yes i think the kid was in danger, i think its GREAT to be able to nurse your child in public but damn woman PULL OVER!

End of story

tsc

Cyburbian
...dumb,,, dumb,,, dumb... the air bag would kill the baby in a flash....

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Child endangerment -- the ex nursed both of our sons, even in public, but never in a moving vehicle.

Zoning Goddess said:
It is absolutely child endangerment. No child should be out of a restraint system when the vehicle is in traffic.

Ditto Jen's comment about their BS religion.
Couldn't say it any better.

moose

Not only would the baby be killed if the air bag were to activate, but so would the mother. The air bag is designed to save your life, barring the presence of some other object between the driver and the steering wheel, say, another person.

The father should have also been charged with child endangerment, as he obviously has no regard for the safety of his child, or his wife.

According to what I've read, the church she belongs to is the First Christian Fellowship for Eternal Sovereignty, and was founded in the 1990s in Henderson, NV.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WHY DOES GOD LET STUPID PEOPLE HAVE KIDS?

WHAT THE…?

Who are these people. That is a stupid Michigan Law, and if I am driving on a 55 mph road and get pulled over for speeding *doing 90, and I say that I am from Montana, and they do not have speed limits, the cop is going to laugh, and maybe even charge me double for being a dumb ass.

Some people should not be able to reproduce. I think that it is a good thing that kid did not get hurt. AND I do think that she should have been found guilty of endangerment charges.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Re: WHY DOES GOD LET STUPID PEOPLE HAVE KIDS?

michaelskis said:
WHAT THE…?

if I am driving on a 55 mph road and get pulled over for speeding *doing 90, and I say that I am from Montana, and they do not have speed limits. . . .
Actually Montana does have speed limits, as of two years ago. 75 miles an hour on interstates, and 70 mph on state highways. Which is plenty too fast if a deer steps out in front of you or a slow-moving hay truck pulls out onto the highway. We recently stopped to aid a motorcyclist who gutted a deer with his Yamaha and crashed inthe barrow ditch.

Breastfeeding a baby while driving-- remarkable stupid.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
A little off topic...

Did anyone hear about the woman in either Peoria or Springfield, IL who was breastfeeding her 9-YEAR OLD child? The State Dept. of Children and Family Services lost in their attempt to remove the child from the home.

Now that's child endangerment.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
A little off topic...

Did anyone hear about the woman in either Peoria or Springfield, IL who was breastfeeding her 9-YEAR OLD child? The State Dept. of Children and Family Services lost in their attempt to remove the child from the home.

Hate to think what kind of teasing the kid gets at school when mommie comes to give him his morning snack!

nerudite

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
A little off topic...

[OT] Ewwwww... an ex co-worker was still breast feeding a kid that was either four or five I think. She said that she wanted to give the child the option of when it doesn't want to do that anymore. Uhhhh... ok. Nine years... that's even worse! I was creeped out enough hearing about the five year old! [/OT]

Runner

Cyburbian
Texas Penal Code 22.041. Abandoning or Endangering Child

(c) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence, by act or omission, engages in conduct that places a child younger than 15 years in imminent danger of death, bodily injury, or physical or mental impairment.

It's supposed to be a State Jail Felony but then again getting a guilty verdict is obvoiusly another matter. After all, OJ was "not guilty" too.

Jen said:
Ok I know some moms can do al lot of things while breastfeeding, like answer the phone, or read maybe even cook. BUt just how do you get your child to latch on, feed, burp switch sides etc et c while navigating a automobile down the hwy?
Yeah, that was sort of what I was thinking. Sounds like she could be in a circus act -- which is possibly where she actually belongs.

dmvallie

Cyburbian
OK why can a child be out of a car seat to breastfeed?
why can't they "legally' be taken out of a car seat for something else, like a diaper change?
Does the law specify if the mother can be driving or not?

When my daughter was small I could safely drive 60 on the highway and mix her a juice in her bottle but I never had her out of the carseat.

child endangerment

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Here in Chile many women think that they are carrying their child very safely... in their arms, in the front seat (not driver's seat at least), no seat belt.
And when they crash they are shocked because they thought it was imposible for the child to go flying strait out of the windshield, that their arms were strong enough to hold the child on a frontal crash...

Ignorance is slavery, and also very dangerous... I guess some people never saw physics...