• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Regulation Children’s playsets

CityWoke

How do you all treat these? Specifically, ones anchored into the ground with a roofed platform and swings. Accessory structure?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In the state of Michigan playground equipment are expressly exempt from residential building code, so we are strictly hands off.

dw914er

Cyburbian
All of the structures I have come across fall below the size that triggers a building permit in our City.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's playground equipment. We don't care.
This is what we do.

We did have a big dust up over one in a front yard. The guy's house was legal, nonconforming nearly on the rear PL. There wasn't anywhere else to put it, frankly. Other neighbors must have convinced the complainer to settle down, because nothing formal ever came of it. :nerd:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We did have a big dust up over one in a front yard. The guy's house was legal, nonconforming nearly on the rear PL. There wasn't anywhere else to put it, frankly.
That's why it's important to make the distinction between 'front yard' and 'required front yard'. :D

Last edited:

CityWoke

To clarify, just wondering if your codes require a setback or if it can be up against the property line?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
To clarify, just wondering if your codes require a setback or if it can be up against the property line?
If I had to regulate these, I would likely just use our standard 5 foot minimum setback for accessory structures/buildings.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We don't really regulate them. And I don't really want to and then be called the Childhood Fun Nazi(s).
I did have to throw down over an "adult tree house" once. It was actually built over the subject property's line with subdivision common land that was supposed to be no-build open space. So it became a whole thing.