• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Choosing Schools

MontyP

Hi, I am looking at two MRP programs: UNC and USC. With both, it is possible to do a joint degree with an MBA. I have heard good things about both but wanted others imput.

I get the feeling from reading these boards, etc. that UNC might be a little more respected, but its drawbacks are (perhaps) being too oriented on the Southeast, and Chapel Hill is a small area with more limited planning opportunities vs. a large city.

With USC, their higher cost (private school) is a negative, and being in LA is a positive/negative (lots of stuff going on there, but high cost of living, etc.).

Please feel free to dish opinions on these two places...Thanks.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I can't speak about USC, but I attended UNC-CH and thought it was a very good program.

I wouldn't characterize Chapel Hill as small -- it's part of the growing Raleigh-Durham metropolitan area. Many of my colleagues were able to find internships and went on to planning jobs in NC. We also had a lot of people who found jobs in places like Washington DC, Boston, New York...

From what I remember, UNC's business school also has a good reputation. Students in the housing track took a lot of their real estate coursework in the MBA program.

What type of specialization are you interested in pursuing?

Dharmster

Cyburbian
Both are good schools. Just remember though that Planners don't really make a lot of money. If you are in-state go to to UNC! Even if you are not a NC resident, my guess is U$C is still a lot more expensive than UNC.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Dharmster said:
Both are good schools. Just remember though that Planners don't really make a lot of money. If you are in-state go to to UNC! Even if you are not a NC resident, my guess is U$C is still a lot more expensive than UNC.
I agree with Dharmster. I would also consider where you'd want to live. You'll most likely be there for 3 years if doing both degrees. Try to get a sense of assitantship opportunites, too. If UNC is bigger, you might have more opportunities to find a TA or PA -ship and get tuition waived.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Another point you might want to consider: Living in the LA basin is kinda like smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day. If you have any respiratory problems, you are likely to seriously regret moving there for an extended period of time.

I speak from experience. I have very serious respiratory problems and I went to Riverside for 8 weeks last summer. It never occurred to me when I was making my plans that Riverside is still in the Smog Zone, even though it is an hour or more from LA.

I took a LOT of medication to keep breathing without going into anaphylactic shock. I went through more than a year of drug withdrawal. I am only back to my normal routine of decongestants and anti-inflammatories in the last 2 or 3 weeks. It took me many months and 3 tries to successfully get off the steroids I was on. Steroids are serious stuff and it is a real shock to the system to stop suddenly. My first two tries landed me in the ER and bedridden for a week. My third try was successful in part because they added a different drug to my regimen -- which is the drug I just quit taking in the last 3 weeks.

Having said that, let me also say that I plan on getting a master's degree through USC, but I expect to attend condensed classes at their Sacramento Center. I researched every planning program I could find information on in the entire country and concluded this is the program I want to attend.

Dharmster

Cyburbian
MontyP said:
Hi, I am looking at two MRP programs: UNC and USC. With both, it is possible to do a joint degree with an MBA. I have heard good things about both but wanted others imput.

I forgot to mention in my first post that UNC has an excellent MBA program, better than the one at U$C. That tips the balance even further towards UNC.

yyyzzz

Los Angeles? Air Pollution? Come on? Los Angeles is no Riverside

Los Angeles is very close to the ocean and it is no Riverside. I have heard a lot about the air pollution in Los Angeles before I came to LA. In my opinion, that is far-fetched. Ocean breeze blows most of the air pollution inland. In the LA Times daily air quality report, you rarely see that the air quality in the city is an issue. Meanwhile, Riverside is on the other end of the spectrum. That is part of the reason people pay a lot less to live in Riverside. In addition, the weather is terrific most of the time in LA. Few other U.S. cities are comparable in my judgment. So come to LA and see for yourself.