• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Christmas Decoration

Nancy

Cyburbian
What type of regulations do any of you have in the jurisdictions you work in, regarding Holiday Decorations? How long can they be up? When must they be taken down by? How hard is it to enforce this?

Along the same lines...how do you distinguish between holiday lights and those little white lights that many businesses in older town like to put up on the buildings for year round decoration?

We have a zoning ordinance that says you have 30 days after the Christmas holiday to take down your decoration, but it's never enforced because of the downtown business lights.

SGB

Cyburbian
This is one of those issues that I've always thought is better addressed by a local chamber of commerce than government.

Are the lenght of time holiday decorations are up really that pressing an issue?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
and what about sects that say christmas is not Dec 25? Eastern Orthadox? some latin cultures do things later in the month of Jan.

I think this is a bad idea all around

Nancy

Cyburbian
Holiday Lights

Our zoning ordinance, I believe allows for 30 days, now I'm not sure what date, specifically that's counting from, but the decorations I'm referring to are, say, those white, pre-lit metal reindeers or lit signs saying "Merry Christmas". There's really no guessing what holiday was celebrated.

In some places this type of thing is left up to HOA's, but in other places the government gets involved. I would imagine this is especially the case in small, historical towns that have tried/are trying to revitalize a neighborhood.

Nancy

Cyburbian
Are the lenght of time holiday decorations are up really that pressing an issue?

If you could see THESE holiday decorations, you wouldn't have to ask the question. Take my word for it.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol one of the "tacky" award homes eh?

they have an HOA or some such to pressure them?

Nancy

Cyburbian
No HOA to help the situation

Nope. No HOA to help this situation. Unfortunately, this home is on the main drag into town which also coincides with the Historic District Overlay. I'm just curious how other jurisdictions deal with this......

donk

Cyburbian
Could you not send them a polite letter inferring that the decorations are not in keeping with the historic overlay zone that they are in and that you would appreciate their cooperation in resolving this matter?

Unless of course they are whack jobs, then inferences and asking nicely may not be the way to go.

SGB

Cyburbian
If a polite letter doesn't work, how 'bout having someone who knows the owners personally speak politely with them?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
An interesting thread. No community in our area regulates it.

I hear that PlannerGirl was asked to take her wreath down though....