• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Church policy on communion

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's horrific and isn't sanctioned by the Pope so I don't kow why they think they can do that

and they wonder why people don't go to church anymore

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I go to a large Southern Baptist church. There are probably some gay people in the congregation, but they keep it to themselves. Communion amounts to passing the tray had has communion cups and little pieces of bread down the isle. You are asked to examine yourself to see if you are a believer and if there is any unconfessed sin. However, it's between you and God.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I've been in discussion about this with a proclaimed Christian who keeps saying, "the judge should just leave the church, why doesn't the judge just leave?"
In the interview, the judge explains that she has been a member of this parish for 60 years, her entire family belonged/s, she recently donated to their building fund. And here comes the priest du jour who's decided that she's not acceptable as a member.

It would be sweet justice if he gets assigned to her for a traffic ticket, a hit-skip crash, or anything else.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Long term it just drives more people away.

I dont go anymore because I cant get past the virgin birth/miracles thing. Cant take an oath to a creed I dont really believe in.

AG74683

Cyburbian
This kind of stuff is why I really just don't care too much for the current state of organized religion and why I do not, and most likely never will, attend church. Does she treat everyone equally and with compassion? Does she work to better her community through selfless actions? Does she live her life with noble purpose? Would Jesus be proud of her, and accept her for who she is? Those are the questions that should be asked, NOT who she shares her bed with.

People love to hand pick quotes from the Bible to demonstrate why this kind of discrimination is perfectly acceptable, yet there are plenty of other examples to point to that would shadow their own lives. Jesus was crucified because of his beliefs, is this Priest (and for that matter anyone else who judges this woman) not essentially doing the same thing? At the end of the day, religion is most often used as a tool to act against one another, rather than what it should be used for, a great unifier. Regardless of what religion you follow, at the core of every one is a distinct calling to treat all as you wish to be treated and simply care for one another.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I had a great-great uncle who was a priest. During the Great Depression, he denied Communion to those who didn't tithe. The parish worked at it a few years, but they finally got him removed and assigned to another parish.

I don't know how that reflects on this situation....

However, it's between you and God.
That's actually a fundamental difference between Protestant denominations and the Catholic Church... the priest is actually between you and God in the Catholic Church. And really, it's situations like this that led to the Reformation.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our pastor says "This is the table of Jesus Christ, not a Presbyterian table. All are welcome."

I made my other point in another thread.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Same here.

But again, that's a fundamental difference between the Catholic Church and other denominations. They don't recognize other church's sacraments, and don't administer sacraments to members of other churches (generally... there are certain exceptions).

Oh, and there are several openly gay couples in our PCUSA congregation.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
That's actually a fundamental difference between Protestant denominations and the Catholic Church... the priest is actually between you and God in the Catholic Church. And really, it's situations like this that led to the Reformation.
I've got Catholic on both sides of my family, though I was raised Protestant. This was one of the points of disagreement I had with the Catholic church. There shouldn't be anybody between you and God.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Personally, I don't believe it is their job to decide who does or does not get communion. They are passing judgement on a person which is not in keeping with biblical teachings. John 8:7 is an example that even if it was viewed as a sin in the Catholic Church, who are they to pass judgement or punishment against any sin?

However, I also think that there is a line when it comes to other aspects of church involvement. For example, I would not want my kid's Sunday School Teacher to be an atheist even if they know the bible inside and out.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Local discussion.

"One of the more disappointing events of this past weekend was the denial of communion by a Catholic priest to a gay woman and her spouse. Everyday I get pushed further and further away from the church and religion. This is just bull crap. I don't know the priest. I suspect he is part of the neo-conservative movement in GR. Well father, you're an idiot. Instead of building a welcoming place, nonjudgmental as Jesus was, you take the obscure route of thinking you're somehow in control. You control nothing. And to think, with the history of some priests behavior in the bright daylight, you choose to pretend that you have some moral superiority and authority. You embarrassed someone I know and respect greatly. She has done more for our community than you will ever hope to do. The fact that the Diocese chose to support this action is the final straw for me. "

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I may be a Reform Jew, but KJV Matthew 7:1-2 reads: Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Also, the Eucharest, regardless of Christian denomination, is represented as a special presence of Christ.

So, according to my uninformed interpretation, denial of communion is both exercising the kind of judgement that Jesus preached against, and denying a Christian the presence of Christ (physical or symbolic, depending on your denomination).

Also, in Protestant denominations, there's no intercession between a person and God. Catholicism may be different; there's the saint/Mary intercession option, but my understanding is that it's voluntary. There's confession, but is that intercession? Does the intercession of clergy apply only for confession?

Even then, convicted criminals in jail (regardless of their actual guilt) receive communion. Homosexuality is not a crime in the United States. Its questionable whether it's a sin, depending on how one interprets the few passages in the Bible that mention it in passing. (In Judaism, homosexuality violates one of the 613 mitzvot, but it's mostly ultra-Orthodox Jews that try to adhere to all of them.)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Also, the Eucharest, regardless of Christian denomination, is represented as a special presence of Christ.
Actually it has several distinct interpretations that vary with denomination. Words like transubstantiation and consubstantiation are thrown around. Do the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ? Are they simultaneously the bread and wine and the body and blood? Do they merely represent the body and blood? These points are argued by theologians and distinguish beliefs of denominations. To be honest, most congregants don't think about it that much.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Turns out that the priest is reacting to an earlier action regarding his participation in a "Red Mass" event. Several judges sent a letter recommending that he be removed as the chaplain to the Catholic Lawyers Assn. This is becoming a separation of church and state issue.

On October 11 Smolenski co-authored a letter addressed to the judges of West Michigan that accused Nolan of being discriminatory .... The letter also encouraged them to not attend the Diocese of Grand Rapids’ annual Red Mass, which was coordinated by the Catholic Lawyers Association. Red Masses are liturgies the Catholic Church offers for lay Catholics who work in the legal field.

In her letter, Smolenski drew attention to an incident where Fr. Nolan refused to give the Eucharist to two legally married women who presented themselves for Holy Communion during Mass. Smolenski said Nolan’s decision was “hurtful and humiliating” and that it caused “much hardship at the parish and in the greater community.”

Red Mass letter from Michigan judges