• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Chute on? Ready to bail out?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I will work Friday, because I gave everyone else the day off..... weee!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What is this Christmas you speak of?
Is that the holiday when everybody celebrates the day Santa Claus comes and breaks into your house? ;)

Well I've been on "vacations" for quite a while, so I won't be bailing out of my workplace anytime soon. :p

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
T minus 28 minutes. Returning Monday 8:00am.
Best wishes to all Cyburbia in the meantime!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm outta here today at 4. We have Christmas Eve and Day off and our Mayor told us last week that Friday is a "Bonus Day" and we all have off. Good Deal. On a related note, how many of you take off a little early on the 31st to "get the party started" so to speak?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
5 today, 5 tomorrow. Our Board gave us an extra day off for the holidays and I'm using mine Friday. Back on Monday.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
MD Planner said:
On a related note, how many of you take off a little early on the 31st to "get the party started" so to speak?
Why would the 31st be different than any other day?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Leave work at 4:30 Wednesday, get home at 5:05, pack, load the car with presents and dogs, hit the Interstates at about 6:00 PMm and say a prayer that there's no lake effect snow around Erie. (Road maintenance in Pennsylvania? Plowing? Salt? Brine? Hahahahaha!) Buffalo is three hours away.

I'm a bit jealous of our friends in the Commonwealth, who get Boxing Day off to enjoy some tea and scones, while listening to the Queen talk about her Corgis on the BBC World Service. In the States, we just have a glorious tribute to mass consumerism with MASSIVE POST-CHRISTMAS BLOWOUT SALES! SAVE 50, 60, EVEN 70 PERCENT! BUY! BUY! BUY!

Not taking a single day off other than office holidays. I used up all of my vacation time for the year. I'll be holding down the office along with the receptionist whose fairly new and has no vacation time acrued yet.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:
lake effect snow around Erie. (Road maintenance in Pennsylvania? Plowing? Salt? Brine? Hahahahaha!) Buffalo is three hours away.
The stories of that one, where is the maintenance?

MD Planner- On a related note, how many of you take off a little early on the 31st to "get the party started" so to speak?
We start in the morning;)

otterpop

Cyburbian
One of the commissioners has been known to go around the building about 4 p.m. to see if the offices are deserted. I will be here until 5 p.m. on the 24th, then I am gone til Monday.

Rem

Cyburbian
We shut down at 12.00 noon on the 24th (toady for me) for a staff party. People with lives start to drif away at about 1.00 pm, I understand there are some here till late though - drinking all the free beer and scoffing the prawns.

I'm back at work bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday.

Yes Dan, we do enjoy (and deserve) a public holiday for Boxing day.

Dan said:
I'm a bit jealous of our friends in the Commonwealth, who get Boxing Day off to enjoy some tea and scones, while listening to the Queen talk about her Corgis on the BBC World Service. In the States, we just have a glorious tribute to mass consumerism with MASSIVE POST-CHRISTMAS BLOWOUT SALES! SAVE 50, 60, EVEN 70 PERCENT! BUY! BUY! BUY!
But the biggest cultural norms in Australia are to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race and/or the start of the Boxing Day test (Cricket) which is held in Mebourne each year. This year Australia is playing India. We do also have massive post Xmas sales. Most start the day after Boxing Day but I see more and more shops opening on Boxing Day now - is nothing sacred?

Refreshments usually consist of beer and prawns by the way, not tea and scones.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
left on saturday dec 20th
back to work on moday jan. 5th - 2 weeks off.

posting from mom's - she as a cable modem.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We shut down at 3:00PM. I'll be there till then unless a client needs me at an on-site. And that is a possibility... but I expect it will be very dead after lunch. After 7:00 on Xmas Eve, a bunch of freinds are going out, so In might meet them out too. Xmas Day is at Moms, 20 minutes away. I dont have to travel at all this year, so thats good.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Noon Christmas Eve (and New Years Eve).

Work both day afters.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Dan said:

Err, that may have been true 20 years ago but Boxing Day is now the biggest sale day of the year in most provinces. The town where I'll be that day (Sudbury, Ontario) is different. Strong union town - City Council still controls store opening hours, and pretty much nothing is open on holidays.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i cant wait for the day after xmas...i am going to go buy a bunch of globe xmas lights for my office so i can transform it into a european outdoor cafe (on the 10th floor).

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I'm out of here at around 3PM on Christmas eve. I only tend to visit Cyburbia at work, so I'll say see ya next year. Happy holidays everyone.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'm on Vacation right now, and will be until January 12th ....

Jealous?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
2 mins over time......finishing up chatting with Planner Groupie before I leave. ;)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Working until I turn the lights out at 5...the boss has to set the example (well, I didn't come in until 11).

ludes98

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
2 mins over time......finishing up chatting with Planner Groupie before I leave. ;)
Had to throw that in did we? Nice to see that you have time for your fans. ;)

I guess we are going to get out of here early today, but it's all hush hush so far.

otterpop

Cyburbian
The County employees were informed this afternoon that at 3 p.m. we will have a Homeland Security drill. We are to put on our coats, get out of the building, and not come back until Friday.
That's pretty cool of the powers that be.