• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cinco de Mayo, What are you doing to celebrate?

tsc

Cyburbian
I have a burrito (homemade) in my lunch today... and blue tortilla chips.. spicy V8 juice... how bout you?

H

Cyburbian
I am going to drink some non-potable water and sit in "el bano" all day...;) :)

VIVA MEXICO :-D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What does one traditionally do to observe Cinco de Mayo? Michigan doesn't seem to have much publicity of this holiday.

tsc

Cyburbian
... similar to 4th of July...only in Spanish. Parades, mexican food, beer, fireworks...

Celebration of the Independance of Mexico

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
What does one traditionally do to observe Cinco de Mayo? Michigan doesn't seem to have much publicity of this holiday.
Go to Hardings and look at the Carona display... they not only observe it, they advertize it.

I will plan on kicking back with a few cold bottles of Carona with Lime, a big bag of Nacho's and maybe some Qudoba. :)

Life is good!

H

Cyburbian
tsc said:
... similar to 4th of July...only in Spanish. Parades, mexican food, beer, fireworks...

Celebration of the Independance of Mexico
no actually,

see here: http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

side note: I have a friend from mexico that says she never celebrated cinco de mayo until she moved to the US because she wasnt from Puebla. Now she celebrates just because we do... :-S

tsc

Cyburbian
H said:
side note: I have a friend from mexico that says she never celebrated cinco de mayo until she moved to the US because she wasnt from Puebla. Now she celebrates just because we do... :-S
Probably a conspiracy by Corona and Dos Equis

H

Cyburbian
tsc said:
Probably a conspiracy by Corona and Dos Equis
me thinks "si" :-D

...but is that so wrong? I will be having at least one of those tonight to chase my tequila shooter!!!! ARRIBA, ARRIBA, ARRIBA :) :) :)

Last edited:

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I will plan on kicking back with a few cold bottles of Carona with Lime, a big bag of Nacho's and maybe some Qudoba. :)
I had Qdoba for the first time on Saturday - very good :)

The FOE puts on an annual dinner for local public safety officials - fireman, police, paramedics, etc. That's tonight, so thats what we are doing. Not really a Cinco de Mayo type of thing, but at least it gets us out of the house.

Boo. :( I'm so boring now that I have an infant. Ok - maybe not just since Jack came along. I think we're having pizza for dinner. Maybe I'll make mine mexican pizza.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
What am I doing to party? Shopping for Mothers Day gifts at the Christmas Tree Shop. :-# (New England/NY glurgy department store)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Go to Hardings and look at the Carona display... they not only observe it, they advertize it.

Life is good!
maybe I should rephrase...what does one do differently to observe this holiday. I observe Tuesdays, Thursdays, changing the oil, satisfying scratching sessions or successfully waking up in the morning by pounding beers and gnoshing on chips and salsa ;-) .....does one dress up in a sombrero or something?

nerudite

Cyburbian
In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, I'm going to a Council meeting to discuss affordable housing. I'll probably be there until 11 p.m. or so :(

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm attending a public hearing and presenting an application for a temporary asphalt batch plant. :-#

Jen

Cyburbian
Taking the family out to dinner tonight for a birthday, had tacos last night, not in the mood for mexican food again, and chances of finding sushi place with a kid friendly menu, nil. So it might just be the famous Huckleberry's in Greenville for a forty-two cent meal. :-}

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I like Cinco de Mayo. Reminds me of 2 rules of french warfare as well as a good reason to party with nearly naked chicks :) :

1) France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman :-c
2) ....."We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Mexican, Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux 8-! .

biscuit

Cyburbian
H said:
I am going to drink some non-potable water and sit in "el bano" all day...;) :)

VIVA MEXICO :-D
LOL.

I think I'll have a burrito for lunch at my favorite Tex-Mex place , and a few cervezas after work at the neighborhood Irish pub. Hey, it's Pittsburgh, we make do with what we have. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
tsc said:
Did you photoshop the sign???
No. I wish I was creative enough to have thought of that but it's an image that has been floating around on the internet for a while. It just seemed like an appropriate pictorial response to Repo Man's choice for lunch.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Going to Taco Bell for lunch ;-)
The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The Fifth Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexicans over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862.
Mexico's Indepedence Day is actually September 16.

YO QUIERO TACO BELL!

Attachments

Budgie

Cyburbian
Golf, a can of jalepeno stewed tomatos for lunch and several coronas tonight.

H

Cyburbian
I just ate at Taco Bell for lunch...I just had to. :)

There are better places around, of course, but they dont compare to the fun of sitting in TB during luch on Cinco!! :-D

BKM

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
BLASPHEMERS!

One of the best things about California is great Mexican food. How dare you mention THE BELL in the same sentence as Cinco de Mayo :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planning Board meeting. Had a few jalepeno poppers at lunch though.

tsc

Cyburbian
BKM said:
BLASPHEMERS!

One of the best things about California is great Mexican food. How dare you mention THE BELL in the same sentence as Cinco de Mayo :)
off-topic... I once got a sign variance application for a taco bell... the application had an extremely strong odor from the place....it probably does to this day.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Femte Maj

Not nearly as well known, but much more important to me. Nazi Germany capitulated in Denmark on the fifth of May, 1945, after nearly six years of Nazi occupation. Finally, my mother and her family were free.

So tonight i shall have smor og brod (you know it as smorgasbord) with Carlsberg Beer and Aalborg Akvavit (Yum!).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Last night at the common council meeting an announcement was made that the Cinco de Mayo celebrations would be occurring on the eigth. Huh? I will be working all day, then eating leftover spagetti for dinner.