Cities/metros without Starbucks

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
16,849
Likes
58
Points
46
#1
Can you think of any? Why wouldn't Starbucks have a presence in these places, when in some parts of the country they're literally across the street from each other?

Largest I could find in the US with no "independent" Starbucks - El Paso, Texas

Largest I could find in the US with no Starbucks, period - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Las Cruces, New Mexico - 0
Fargo, North Dakota - 0 (one in a Super Target)
Amarillo, Texas - 0 (one in a supermarket)
Lubbock, Texas - 0 (one in a supermarket)
Pine Bluff, Arkansas - 0
Yuma, Arizona - 0 (one in a supermarket)
Ocala, Florida - 0
Jackson, Mississippi - 0 (one in a supermarket)
Beaumont, Texas - 0 (one in a supermarket)
Williamsport, Pennsylvania - 0
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - 0
Reading, Pennsylvania - 0
Altoona, Pennsylvania - 0
Danville, Virginia - 0
Wichita Falls, Texas - 0
Topeka, Kansas - 0
St. Joseph, Missouri - 0
Utica, New York - 0
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Likes
0
Points
33
#3
They're putting Starbuck's in metros now? Not even porta johns are safe..... sheeesh.
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,890
Likes
0
Points
26
#4
Re: None Here

boiker said:
Peoria-Pekin Metro Area - 355,000
NO Starbucks
actually here's a map from starbucks website indicating the closest starbucks. over 70 miles away :)

The whole illinois region outside of chicago has been ignored by this chain.. i guess that's a good thing.

Springfield, IL - 105,000
Bloomington/Normal 100,000
Champaign/Urbana 100,000
Decatur, IL - 83,000
Rockford, IL 150,000

i guess illinois just don't like coffee
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
16,849
Likes
58
Points
46
#5
A few more ...

Little Rock, Arkansas - 0
Davenport, Iowa - 0 (one in a Super Target)
Roanoke, Virginia - 0
Chattanooga, Tennessee - 0
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Likes
0
Points
33
#6
Re: Re: None Here

boiker said:

i guess illinois just don't like coffee
Actually, they just have better taste than the rest of the nation (thats why they love Wisconsin real estate too)
 

Planderella

     
Messages
5,354
Likes
0
Points
31
#7
Those cities should consider themselves lucky. Starbucks has the WORST coffee I've ever tasted. :blah
 

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,839
Likes
1
Points
37
#8
There's only one in NH, in Portsmouth. Altough there are rumors floating around that they want to expand up here....BLECH!
 
Messages
6,544
Likes
0
Points
29
#9
Re: Re: None Here

boiker said:


actually here's a map from starbucks website indicating the closest starbucks. over 70 miles away :)

Holy! I thought I was escaping Starbucks by moving out of the country, but noooooooo. There are 14 of them here in Edmonton. Our knock-off of Starbucks up here is "Second Cup", which has better coffee (but that's not too hard now, is it?).

Even when I lived in Seattle I avoided Charbucks like the plague. Strong = burnt. :(

If only there were more Peet's coffeehouses around. Oh well...
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Likes
0
Points
27
#10
Why the lack of Starbucks's in PA?? We have a strong support of our convenience stores in this area (WaWa and Turkey Hill). I wonder if Starbucks just didn't want to compete.

Also, those areas in PA are some of the most "Blue Collar" cities in PA....coal mining and steel towns for the most parts. Them guys don't drink any of that fancy coffee ;)
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,465
Likes
0
Points
29
#11
Peets rules! Its still a chain, And Albert Peet was one of the founders of the Big Gren Machine, but I find their coffee the best. I'm supposed to be on a diet now, so no more full fat "Large" Mochas, but. . .
 
Messages
82
Likes
0
Points
4
#12
Hey I like Starbucks. Not the coffee but the stock. I invest in what my friends and I don't believe in. We invest in companies that make crappy products that the masses loved. I paid for college by investing in Wal-mart and my 401K is in AOL (not too good now, hopefully better later) and Starbucks.

I've never had a cup of coffee, never will. But find me a huge company that everyone hates but everyone uses and I'll hopefully make some money on it. BTW, viewpoints on Best Buy??? Trying to decide if I should invest in them.
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,890
Likes
0
Points
26
#13
Bucky alum said:
Hey I like Starbucks. Not the coffee but the stock. I invest in what my friends and I don't believe in. We invest in companies that make crappy products that the masses loved. I paid for college by investing in Wal-mart and my 401K is in AOL (not too good now, hopefully better later) and Starbucks.

I've never had a cup of coffee, never will. But find me a huge company that everyone hates but everyone uses and I'll hopefully make some money on it. BTW, viewpoints on Best Buy??? Trying to decide if I should invest in them.
hmm. best buy.. i love it and use it...
 

JNL

Cyburbian
Messages
2,449
Likes
0
Points
24
#14
This time last year we had no Starbucks in my city. Now, there are at least 4!! I saw a new one on Saturday that popped up out of nowhere.

Planderella, I agree - it's the worst coffee I've ever tasted! Fortunately there are lots of other good places to get coffee. We have some kind of record in Wellington for the number of cafes per person.
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,465
Likes
0
Points
29
#15
Best Buy

Best Buy beats Sears for appliances. It compares favorably to Good Guys for electronics.

Lousy service, but I still like 'em :)

Given the saturation in electronics retailers, will it be a good investment? They seem to be beating Good Guys in the Bay Area, the stores are very busy (with many frustrated customers).
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,890
Likes
0
Points
26
#16
Re: Best Buy

we don't have good guys in the midwest.

the only 'discount' electronics retailers are Circuit City and Best Buy.. I always prefer Best Buy, because normally, I don't need service at an electronics store. And I hate Circuit City.
 
Messages
204
Likes
0
Points
9
#17
Jacksonville, FL was able to avoid Charbucks (why oh why do people think they have good coffee?!) for most of the 1990s. For a few years the only one was at the airport. Alas, no longer. I am sorry to report that there are now 4 of these godforesaken places within 5 miles of my house. 3 of these opened within the past 18 months.
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,890
Likes
0
Points
26
#18
if starbucks is bad coffee, what is good coffee

I've had peet's, got a free bag off their website when they first went online back in 2000 or 1999. can't remember. Good stuff though.

But my question is, is starbucks that bad? is their marketing that good?
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,465
Likes
0
Points
29
#19
I personally don't find Starbucks that bad. Their drinks have too much sugar and other stuff, but some people do like the harsher, darker roasts.

As for marketing: its that, and the sheer ubiquity of the chain. Can anyone really claim that any of the processed junk that McDonalds and Burger King extrude tastes good? (Even their fries are mediocre, imo) Yuck, but they are multibillion dollar businesses. Starbucks, like McDonalds, is "comfortable" for a middle class clientel.

I just prefer locally owned cafes where possible. And, I think Peets is much better, overall. Does that make me a better human being? Nah (although there is the nasty, undeserved element of hippie moral superiority which sneaks in).

Starbuck's consolidated market power does mean significant negative impacts on coffee-growers in Central America. If you believe in the religion of untramelled markets, that's fine. I'm a proud agnostic in regards to America's true religion. :)
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,890
Likes
0
Points
26
#20
BKM said:
I personally don't find Starbucks that bad. Their drinks have too much sugar and other stuff, but some people do like the harsher, darker roasts.

As for marketing: its that, and the sheer ubiquity of the chain. Can anyone really claim that any of the processed junk that McDonalds and Burger King extrude tastes good? (Even their fries are mediocre, imo) Yuck, but they are multibillion dollar businesses. Starbucks, like McDonalds, is "comfortable" for a middle class clientel.

I just prefer locally owned cafes where possible. And, I think Peets is much better, overall. Does that make me a better human being? Nah (although there is the nasty, undeserved element of hippie moral superiority which sneaks in).

Starbuck's consolidated market power does mean significant negative impacts on coffee-growers in Central America. If you believe in the religion of untramelled markets, that's fine. I'm a proud agnostic in regards to America's true religion. :)
Ok, this thread is now officially hijacked :)

I have never found roasts, other than starbucks house roast to be that bad either. It's probably one of the only places around that will make a strong brew. (in my region anyway).

I don't notice much starbucks advertising on tv or other.. at least for their coffee shops. Only for their crapachinos and double shots.

So i really don't get how people are so attracted to starbucks..
 
Top