• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

City Commission Presentation

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Does anyone have your planning commission make governing body presentations on pc recommendations?

I just had an instance where my staff recommendation was different than the planning commission's, and the city commission didn't understand how I could "change". I explained to one commissioner afterwards that I was presenting the planning board's recommendation, but I fear it went over his head. Several jobs ago we had a pc representative make the presentation. Good points: elected body may listen more to a citizen volunteer than the city bureaucrat; the pc may recommend differently than the staff. Bad points: are pc members "up to snuff" to answer questions; are they willing to attend another evening meeting.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Never had a citizen appointee make a presentation to the board before. But I know what you're trying to get at.

In our case, staff still makes the presentation to the elected board, but we are encouraged to present the committee recommendation first, then any opposing / disenting viewpoint second.

Heck we even do that a committee levels when staff disagrees with other staff.

el Guapo

Capitalist
One wonders where this brave soul could be found in your humble hamlet.

Mike,
You might just tell the City Commissioner to think of you like a lawyer. "Who ever is paying the bill is who's story I'm telling."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Never had a citizen appointee make a presentation to the board before. But I know what you're trying to get at.

In our case, staff still makes the presentation to the elected board, but we are encouraged to present the committee recommendation first, then any opposing / disenting viewpoint second.

Heck we even do that a committee levels when staff disagrees with other staff.
I concur that it is almost always staff that makes the recommendation. Even at times when I would like some board members to show up in support, I rearely see them.

You are very good to do it, or very lucky in that higher-ups will inform boards, commissions, councils, etc. of differences in staff opinion. I know of someone who does the opposite - claiming that "staff is all in favor of this" when in fact they can't stand the idea.