• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

civil engineering vs. urban planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicMojo

Planderella said:
Not to engage you in any type of debate, but I really take offense at you telling me what MY job entails.
He seems to 'know' a lot about things he knows nothing about, other careers, other people's jobs, that landscape architects are only garden designers. He's so smart he should join Mensa. A lotta big talk.

Everyone, why does one vocation have to be proven to be 'better' than the other; it seems so important to VT to prove HIS curriculum is the best and every other route is for losers. I'm guessing you're pretty young vt, and haven't learned a lot about life or people or learned to appreciate what is special in everyone. It makes life a lot easier. And you know, on a daily basis, the people who make my life easier are not lawyers or doctors or even urban planners, but the blue collar working people who keep the city around me running smoothly. So I don't ever forget how important they are to me and I don't think I'm better than them just because I have a masters degree.

Hey, we all have unique abilities. I hope we all find the best fit for each of us and thank goodness we all are different and have different abilities, cuz we need them all: civil engineers, landscape architects, planners, trash collectors, dry cleaners, artists, salesmen, plumbers...!

vtboy99 said:
BTW, take a look at the professional prestige scale on the US Census Bureau website for Civil Engineers, it is rated way below Architects.

But way above planners. Tell the whole story.

(oops, just read that 'padding' rule. Never happen again.)
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

vtboy99

BANNED
cmavis said:
Guess the past 6 years of my life practicing professional planning means nothing then huh? No grad degree here compadre.

Why DON'T you have a grad degree? It's pretty much a common professional standard (and most basic prerequisite) for most entry level urban planning positions nowadays. Check the job listings on the APA website if you don't believe me. Any particular reasons?

I really have NO tolerance for engineers who have never taken a planning course (or matriculated from a graduate degree program in planning) in their life, but have passed the simplistic AICP exam, volunteer on a local community planning board, and work on site development plans and plan check think they can call themselves a professional planner. We need to really better define the requirements needed to be called an urban planner and modify our standards to weed out this confusion in which many engineers seem to constantly have.

And what kind of projects do you work on? Please enlighten the audience here my friend.

Last edited:

noottamevas

Cyburbian
I think I got it now,
Anything less than a masters in planning and you shouldn't even call yourself a planner.
Anything more than a masters in planning becomes a liability to your planning abilities.:r:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
savemattoon said:
I think I got it now,
Anything less than a masters in planning and you shouldn't even call yourself a planner.
Anything more than a masters in planning becomes a liability to your planning abilities.:r:

'nuff said already!

cmavis

Cyburbian
vtboy99 said:
And what kind of projects do you work on? Please enlighten the audience here my friend.

You obviously are the most brilliant individual to grace the planet since Jesus H. Christ. Don't you have anything else better to do than attack folks in this forum?

Can't you see that you aren't making any friends around here with your crass attitude?

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator note:

While I hate to stop the debate, this thread is now off-topic from the original post. Please feel free to continue the debate in a new thread.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.