• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Class in Sports

donk

Cyburbian
Just read about an unfortunate incident at this years Paris - Nice bicycle race, one of the compoetitors has been killed from injuries sutained during a crash.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/3584.0.html

This item made me think about the classs and respect that professional cyclists have for one another and how they react to tragedy during competition. I don't think in any other professional sport athletes would be as sharing with the fallen competitors team mates and families. From the reports the other athletes did not contest primes/bonuses nor the stage win to allow the Cofidis team to win for their teammate and his family. This also happened a few years ago in teh Tour and a similar show of respect occured and last year when tehy passed the location of the death the teams slowed almost to a stop out of respect and to see the memorial.

I don't remember anything like this after Utley got hurt playing football (Lions in about 93 or 94) or the NASCAR crash that claimed a life.

What do others think?

Mod Edit (NHPlanner): Image link fixed.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I have the crash on tape. He never moved after he went down, my wife and I knew what was up as soon as we saw it, and then read about it late last night.

Runner

Cyburbian
I'm trying to think of hypothesis for testing. Here are a couple:

1) Class in sports is inversely proportional to the cost of the facility/stadium.

2) Class in sports is inversely proportional to salaries

The Irish One

i don't know about pro sports......when I ride around my county I find that most bicyclist are really friendly and willing to stop their ride and help you with a flat anytime..even the guy with the polka dot jersey. Northern San Diego County is a great place to ride -lot's of climbing.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
i don't know about pro sports......when I ride around my county I find that most bicyclist are really friendly and willing to stop their ride and help you with a flat anytime...
I find that the best time to launch an attack...that and when everyone is on a pee break.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I thought sitting on those damn hard seats cut off all circulation to the nether regions...

With all the racing and bike training, I'm surprised you're a dad-to-be Mike...sure you're the father? ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:

If you're racing and you have to piss do you just go in your bike shorts? I'm serious -I don't know.
You can do 1 of a few things.....

You announce...I'm pissin' and at that point everyone moves out of the way and you whip it out and go off the side of the bike...

....or, chances are if you gotta go so does half the pack because you all went right before you left, so the pack slows down while everyone hangs off the side and goes or just stops compleely to hit the nearest field.

Either method you choose, if you are in the front, you slow down and wait for the pissees. To not slow down is to guarantee that you will be doing a face plant into a telephone pole or roadside swale when the pissees catch back on....

Jeff

Cyburbian
No...you do just as I said above when you leave town.

My babys first bike.....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Anyone else see the irony of talking about peeing on bikes in a thread by this title?

donk

Cyburbian
As always, back to the lowest common denominator, not that that is a bad thing.

I remember seeing a picture of greg lemond getting his a$$ wiped during the tour.

[creepy]

I can remember a few mountain bike races in the rain when I was freezing and had to pee and wish I could have justified ruining a pair of shorts to get warm

[/creepy]

As for numbness, that is a crock. I ride on really tiny and hard saddles and am OK. Hell, Mike D plumbing works well enough to have a baby. Hard saddles are actually more comfortable as your sit bones support your weight as they are the only thing touching the saddle.

I'm have my eyes on the new SI Flite SLR for my mountain bike, when my selle san marco bontrager wears out. (Possibly the smallest saddle ever)

All that litespeed needs is a thomson seat post, chris king headset, easton bars and it would really rock.