• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cleaning out the cupboards Recipes...

tsc

Cyburbian
When I was young.. my mother used to take our old cereal...and make cookies out of it...which really varied in texture. I have made a twist on the chain letter Neiman-marcus recipe....and my moms reuse of old cereal ends to make some great cookies... just made a batch yesterday to use up some old stuff... and always get rave reviews.

You start with the Neiman Marcus recipe ( I usually make a 1/2 batch.... as it makes a lot of cookies.. and always use butter!!)
2 cups butter (room temp)
4 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal** the key is.... grind up any old cereal... granola, chex, you name it....just put in blender till smooth..then add enough oatmeal to make the 5 cups)
24 oz. chocolate chips (any chips... and I use less..sometimes white chips...whatever ya got)

1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated) ( I use any old chocolate... old christmas santas,,,Halloween candy..etc...Yesterdays included about 1/2 dozen mallow cups, crisp bar, and caramel santas from the freezer)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla
Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.
** measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I take the same approach to making soups. I'll usually start with chicken and onions, then add whatever vegetables happen to be lying around - peas, broccoli, kidney beans, potatos, celeriac, parsnip, carrots - it really doesn't matter. I have even put in apple slices. Then I visit the spice rack for salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme, and season to taste.

I never follow any set recipes. Initially, I rely on guidance from my mom and then instinct from there on. One of these days, I will finally get around to writing down some recipes and compiling my own family cookbook.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I follow Mom's recipes to the letter. Once, I served a near-raw meatloaf because the ex- (aka D**khead the Dull and Stupid) insisted that Mom's cooking times were ridiculously long. Mom's Sloppy Joes....mmmmm....

otterpop

Cyburbian
This thread put me in mind of my Mom's "god only knows" casserole. It consisted of leftovers from the week, mixed together and fortified with cream of mushroom soup. Brought new meaning to the saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

boiker

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
This thread put me in mind of my Mom's "god only knows" casserole. It consisted of leftovers from the week, mixed together and fortified with cream of mushroom soup. Brought new meaning to the saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
That's a basic recipe.. meat.. rice...cream of mushroom soup.... I actually almost made that last night :-D