• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cleaning up messes of former co-workers

Habanero

Cyburbian
I've had 4 calls today about issues a former employee created/helped in/didn't give correct info on and really, I'd like to go home now and not deal with another clean up job today. :-#

There is no easy way to tell someone "sorry, his imcompetence blew my mind too", but something needs to be said. These problem cases are now mine and I look like the bad guy telling them the correct info and requiring more.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messes? How about projects?

We had two people leave, and I'm stuck with two HUGE planning projects and one REALLY huge construction project... not to mention a bunch of little stuff.

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Well, I meant projects too... along with messes. Didn't know there was a difference. :)
ditto- these messes are projects.. and then the applicants are trying to point the finger at the ex-employee for what they lack mentally as well. It's a lovely day in the neighborhood, I need a beer.

donk

Cyburbian
Try cleaning one up that was created in 1973. We just went through this, the old boys network messed something up way back then and now it has come home to roost.

Should be easy enough to fix, but never should have happened.

One of my goals in my career is to never have someone ask what was he thinking after I leave a job. Notes and good reports do wonders.

Good luck.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I see these issues as an opportunity to gain respect, either by judiciously and timely clearing up an error or by setting my foot down. Always take the position that is supported by the written code or policy of your community (I'm assuming you work for a local government). When you reach a director position, you spend the first few months clarifying regulations or policies that were not followed properly in the past. I've going through this right now. Of course, sometimes it's a matter of interpretation in which case clearly document your interpretation and notify the aggrieved party of their right to appeal to the BZA or governing body, whichever is appropriate. I like playing by the book, even if I don't agree with the book. That way you can convince others to take issue and get the code or policy changed properly. This way you can make necessary changes and not look like a loose cannon renegade. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "but that's how we've always done it" or "grandfather is big in this town".

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I kind of like the challenge of cleaning up/ finishing projects. However I usually end up almost starting over because I think that my method is easier or better. I worked on a GIS implementation that had been plagued by inactivity, poor decisions (not buying ESRI), and lack of support and I found it very rewarding.

With that being said, it is also kind of nice as an outgoing employee to completely abandon some project that was boring, controversial, or just too time consuming. If/when I leave my current position there are some projects sitting out there that I wouldn't mind abandoning.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
That would not be any fun... I was fortunate that the person who had my job, from what I can tell, did a good job. There are a few cases that seem to be on going things but they did the best that they could to fix it before.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messes, what happened, did somebody spill their spaghettiOs on the carpet?;)

-I work with people like that. This one person always yaps it up about stuff he/she has no idea about. I always want to say to the person listening that "your dumber for having to listen to that."

-I have some projects that could be adjusted in time for my departure....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I have been in my current job for 18 months and am still fielding calls that start with "But ____ SAID...". Luckily, they were opinions, not decisions, so it's easier to deal with. And not stupidity of the previous job-holder, just a different take on things.

Flip side of the coin: I was driven out of my previous position (in the same jurisdiction I'm in) by an egomaniacal director who resented my previously being over him in the heirarchy, the same fate suffered by several others. My reputation has been systematically trashed during those 18 months. Everything that ever happened is all my fault, it seems. Luckily my current boss looks at what I'm accomplishing in this job, not what is said uptown.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I've had 4 calls today about issues a former employee created/helped in/didn't give correct info on and really, I'd like to go home now and not deal with another clean up job today. :-#

There is no easy way to tell someone "sorry, his imcompetence blew my mind too", but something needs to be said. These problem cases are now mine and I look like the bad guy telling them the correct info and requiring more.
Only 4 calls in one day that is light! I have been dealing with this since right before Christmas. Although I can't say that all the items are taken care of at least I can say that for this moment, I have things defined and moving in the right direction.

As far as people coming in constantly and saying... But so and so said, I hear that every day about the last two directors.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
The ones I hate are the ones that you inherit that are so bad that even after you clean it up, it is still messed up because the developer that you are working with is such a slimeball. I know that my name has been said in vain about a couple of awful projects that I inherited that now a friend has inherited.