• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cleveland, Ohio - Cleveland Heights/Coventry Village (broadband recommended)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Gotta' love "urban suburbs" like Cleveland Heights. Coventry Village used to be the region's rebellious, bohemian district. There are still some remnants of that, such as an honest-to-goodness communist bookstore (!), but for the most part the neighborhood's retail and entrertainment uses cater to those of all ages and social groups now.

Housing near Coventry Road ... mostly solid, well-maintained three and four story brick walk-up apartment buildings. Go a few blocks further, and you'll hit streets lined with textbook 1920s-era single family houses.

More/larger images in the Cyburbia Gallery. Enjoy.

Residential

jresta

Cyburbian
Really nice!

Is this in the city? just to the east or west? does it have rail service?

I love this part of the Cleveland metro, especially the housing stock. The very soon-to-be Mrs....Star grew up near Chagrin Blvd. in Shaker Heights.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Dan, keep posting these Cleveland area photos - may help with a project we're starting...

Nice houses! - why can't developers make neighborhoods like this anymore?!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jresta said:
Is this in the city? just to the east or west? does it have rail service?
It's just east of Cleveland's city limits. The University Circle station on the RTA Red Line is about a 2 km walk away; it's not what I would call close. You could also hoof it about 2 km south to the Shaker Square station, serving the Blue and Green lines.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Great Shots!

Thanks! As usual, diligent work on your part, Dan. The only thing that's missing is a shot of Harvey slinking down the street wide a load of vinyl under his arm heading for Record Rendezvous..... :-D

Mark

Cyburbian
Say Dan I use to live right off Coventry on Mayfield in one of those 1920's apartment buildings. In the summer of 1987 I worked for Cleveland Heights and conducted a parking study of Coventry. It must of led to the parking deck I saw last winter when I visited Gilmore Academy with my daughter. The City demolished the grocery store and kosher chicken butcher building.

My flyfishing buddy owns Lee & Laura Salon on Coventry. He has been on Coventry since the 70's. It is more conservative now, if you can beleive it. I could walk from my apartment: Grumms (great subs), 3 bars, grocery store, drug store, convienence store, communist book store, used record shop, candy store (burnt down I think with the coffee shop and movie theater), etc. A great place. Plus, the mix of people: Young Dr., university students (CSU, Case Western, John Carrol), and people who needed moderately priced apartments. Cool homes nearby to.

My wife and I still miss Coventry 15 years later. The Cleveland Clinic was great employer for my wife. But, I never could get good job in Cleveland. I drove to Portage County, Ravenna and worked at the W. 130th St. and Kamm's Corners Business Districts.

Shaker Square is great, up around where you live.