• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Cleveland State 🇺🇸 Cleveland State University (CSU) thread

kan

I am considering apply to the Urban Studies program(PhD) at Cleveland State University. Anyone knows the info about the ranking, quality .... of that program?

manjulaboyina

Hi,
Can anyone give me links to a list of all Planning firms in Cleveland, OH? I tried all possible key word searches on the net, but did not find any.

Thanks,

andyl920

Hello, I'm currently in the process of researching Urban Planning schools. US News & World Report ranks Cleveland State (CSU) as the #3 urban planning school in the country. I was wondering if there is any consensus in the workforce about CSU.

Is it a reputable program that comes from a small school? Or should I be more interested in entering a program at a bigger school, with more name recognition (i.e. Harvard / MIT / Kansas / Syracuse), but with a slightly lower-ranked urban planning program?

Any thoughts on this? Does the overall name recognition of the University trump the ranking of CSU's small program? All replies will be greatly appreciated!

DVD

Cyburbian
I usually put school location as a priority to getting a job. If you want to work in KC or the midwest, Kansas is a great school. If you want to work in LA I'd recommend UCLA. The school will help kick start your networking and get you into the job. Of course what you're paying for school is also a thing to consider. It's easier to move if you don't have loan debt. For most planning jobs I don't think name recognition is an issue. Maybe more on the coast, but I'm not sure. I think most agencies just look at the fact that you have the required degree and it's a name we recognize. As long as it's not the University of North Phoenix online diploma mill you should be ahead of the game.

AG74683

Cyburbian
A professor I had when in undergrad recently took a new position at CSU. She wouldn't teach there if it wasn't a reputable school. She is a fantastic teacher and definitely worth having a class or 5 with.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
CSU is located along the Euclid Corridor and has been seeing a lot of action since the opening of the BRT.

rigabyte

I applied to Cleveland State and thought about going, though I ultimately decided against it for a number of reasons. Nonetheless, I came away with a strong opinion of it. I have never visited CSU but I got the impression that it has one of the best values of any urban planning school. The ratio between the strength of the program and its cost seems pretty singular to me. Seems like a particularly good fit for someone who wants to work in the region or shares particular interests with professors. Cleveland also has some cool community development projects going on, which are nicely summarized in this report that was jointly produced by the Levin School at CSU.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moved all (or most) of the Cleveland State threads to a single thread, to make it easier for Google, Bing, and you to find it. :)

Cleveland State vs [some other school] discussions are still in their own threads.