• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

C'mon all you party people!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, after moving into our new house, Elmo and I decided that we really want to have a housewarming party. The reality is that with all the little fixes to the house, his car dying and needing replacement, etc., we are totally broke.

I'm looking toward the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia ™ to give me a little advice. As 'grown ups' is BYOB an accepted practice these days (people up here say yes, but in L.A. growing up I remember it was quite gauche)? Also, how much food do you prepare for? I mean... just your standard everyone gets drunk, has a good time, need snacks and munchies kind of party. I have no idea what type of budget would be needed for a standard party these days...

Suggestions?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Snacks/Munchies and BYOB have always worked for me.

Am I invited? ;)

ludes98

Cyburbian
Variety of booze, beer, and wine usually make everyone happy. Food is just the stuff you grab a quick handful of between drinks.

Tom R

Cyburbian
house

The best way to "break in" a new house is a "party" for two.

donk

Cyburbian
BYOB is completely acceptable here, but when I visited some friends a while back in Ontario, they thought it odd I showed up with my own beer. I think it depends on the way the invitiation is phrased.

For food, plan it for after dinner, then you'll only need some grazing type things.

I''d also make sure my liquor cabinet had a bit extra in it, just in case. I don't drink rum, vodka or gin, but I have it at home for emergencies.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Just tell me what time to be there.
Do y'all prefer regular or Cool Ranch Doritos?

One easy way to get around paying for everyone is to have a stock the bar party. Everyone brings a handle of their favorite liquor and all you're stuck with buying are snacks and mixers.
Almost every friend of mine who has bought a house has had one of these. Good drunk fun and nobody finds it rude to bring the booze. Enjoy

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I've actually run into cases where, if you don't state BYOB, people assume it's a dry party (or that you're a Mormon). (sorry Mormons)

If you supply booze at a party, you're also responsible if they leave and go kill someone with their car while drunk. If it is clearly stated to be BYOB, that relieves you of responsibility.

I really believe the BYOB issue is location specific. Here in Canada, people who drink while partying tend to drink a LOT, so we learn from an early age (or at least I did) that if you want to drink as much as you like, you better bring your own.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Guess it depends on the type of party you're having - BYOB is a Canadian tradition. I don't mind being invited to a BYOB party, but for some reason I don't like throwing them - I don't want people to have to bring anything.

I don't know what we're going to do for our housewarming (if we have a housewarming). We may just combine it with our now annual Christmas open house - which is not BYOB, even though most people end up bringing something.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Re: house

Tom R said:
The best way to "break in" a new house is a "party" for two.
Or a game of lacrosse for all you singles out there.

BYOB is a good standard in preventing your friends from drinking all you booze.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Stop being a wuss. Kegs of Natty Light cost like $30.00. Get 2 of them and make everyone happy.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Stop being a wuss. Kegs of Natty Light cost like $30.00. Get 2 of them and make everyone happy.
Better yet get some Black Label Beer (if they still make it) or some Piels.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Just invite Duke of Dystopia with his home brewing facilities. :) Someone's got to add him to that picture of Cyburbia partying in Nerudite's living room.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My friends used to have theme parties, disguised as ways to get it to be BYOB. Similar to biscuits "Stock the Bar" idea is the "You can bring any type of booze, wine, or liquor that starts with the same letter as your first name" party. They would get some interesting stuff. Just don't invite friends that start with "O" so you don't get stuck with crap like Ouzo, Old Style, Olympia, Old Thompson Whiskey, Old English 800, and Old Peculiar Ale.

You could always do the "Ill Supply the Food, you Bring The Beer" option.

The White Trash party is also good. Everyone has to bring a white trash food or drink. You'll get crappy beer and supermarket brand booze, but hey, its free!

H

Cyburbian
I think BYOB vs. supply depends on the crowd and scenario. You don’t need to feed people more than snacks as long as you put the start time for after 8, but if it starts earlier then you do.

I usaully always at least have cheep beer and wine.

I recommend a “stock the bar” party (as said Biscuit) This is common is the south when people buy a new and especially a first home. But you can only have this party once!! This entails everyone bringing YOU a bottle to put in your bar. These parties usually supply mixers, cheese, bread and strawberries (Cheep)!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Seabishop said:
Just invite Duke of Dystopia with his home brewing facilities. :)
Outstanding idea: Duke's Home Brew for the Canadian Laefest at Neru's and Bite Me's :-D

We'll need directions from the airport!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
You might ask a couple of close friends if they would be able to help you host the party and contribute some home-made appetizer-type foods. Most folks have some sort of dish they like to serve and would be happy to help you out.

BYOB sounds pretty practical for folks who just bought a home. After all, the idea is to be with friends and let them see your home, not break the bank.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Even cheaper - BYOB and a Chili dump. Everyone brings 3-4 servings of homemade chili, and you mix them all together. And they bring their own beverages.

You can get away with soda crackers and napkins as expenses! :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Even cheaper - BYOB and a Chili dump. Everyone brings 3-4 servings of homemade chili, and you mix them all together. And they bring their own beverages.
You better tell them to BYOGM,, Bring your own gas mask!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Spring for a keg. The cost is relatively low, you'll be extremely popular and you don't have to deal with cans and bottles. Make sure you have a large round plastic garbage can. Go to your nearest hotel/motel and raid the ice machine.

If you do, BYOB put a tone of stolen hotel ice in the bath tub. This save precious refrig space.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Spring for a keg. The cost is relatively low, you'll be extremely popular and you don't have to deal with cans and bottles. Make sure you have a large round plastic garbage can. Go to your nearest hotel/motel and raid the ice machine.

If you do, BYOB put a tone of stolen hotel ice in the bath tub. This save precious refrig space.
thats a good idea with the ice'
-did the keg party 2 summers ago. bought 1 keg and people who came just started giving me money. ran out quickly, but luckly my old neighbor brought a keg she had laying aound from a previous party. that stuff was rank. oh what a party. some girl i knew spilled beer on me so I dumped my beer on her head and she ran off crying. hahaha haha haha ha. i mean oops, it was an accident.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It is pretty common here for people to show up with beer or a bottle of wine. You really don't need to do much. If you want to serve something, just put some burgers and brats on the grill. Otherwise, pick a good selection of snack food. You might even make it a potluck. What should I bring?

Chet, if all of us Wisconsinners are going to carpool up there, no chili.

Rem

Cyburbian
Useless Information

Most get togethers of this type in Oz would be BYO. In fact most get togethers full stop are - even a dinner party with everything supplied, it is sort of customary to bring a bottle of favourite wine (if it doesn't get drunk there is usually a tedious game of "please take it home, no I would like you to enjot it"). There was a funny TV ad a few years back where a Mr Unpopular type receives his guests at the front door taking the nice bottle of wine, locking it in a cupboard, and serving cask wine at dinner.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Re: Useless Information

Rem said:
There was a funny TV ad a few years back where a Mr Unpopular type receives his guests at the front door taking the nice bottle of wine, locking it in a cupboard, and serving cask wine at dinner.
that was modeled after my ex father in law (the cheat mutha...f..)

jmf

Cyburbian
I'm with Tranplanner I don't mind BYOB, it is a Cdn tradition but I wouldn't expect others to brings something to our house. But my father usually keeps our bar fairly well stocked, at least with the things he likes!

We have had parties before where we have said we will have beer and cider but if you want something different bring your own. I think most people think that is fairly reasonable. We also try to have some mix on hand - coke, sprite, tonic

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
I dont know what kind of parties yall are talking about........people bringing their own alcohol...WINE? Just GIVING you money for the Keg? Serving brats? Ha

Here its all: show up, drink their beer, give no money unless they confront you, leave about 3 am and go to Taco Cabana.

Occasionally the have liquor.

Now if its a smaller get together of about 20 or so, then yeah, you can BYOB or chip in. But not at those keggers.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Our get-togethers are always BYO. It seems sort of customary to ask, when invited to a party, what the party-giver would like to have brought. We usually suggest wine or bread or if they want dessert, they can bring that. It would seem strange and sort of moochy to show up without something in hand.